Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

"Turn steering try start again" message

Views : 852

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 24th, 2018, 21:54   #1
SteEnt

Default "Turn steering try start again" message

Hi guys,

So embarrassing story, I went to Morrisons, came back to the car got in and tried to start it.
Nothing happened.
Got a message saying:"Turn steering try start again".
Tried the steering wheel and tried starting again, nothing.
Panic is now setting in as I've left the oven on!
Called for rescue and while waiting tried a number of things, as I thought it may be an immobiliser issue so got out, locked and unlocked a few times and got back in, still no luck.
I noticed that the steering wheel wasn't locking when I took the key out, and I think this is the main issue. When turning the wheel I hear an electrical ticking noise.
Rescue guy shows up and says he doesn't think it's the immobiliser, he thinks it's the batter, no thats fine. Tried something with the starter asking me to try the key again and I am desperately hoping it will come to life, but no!
So we roll the car down the hill and bump start it, this works but the message still shows on the dash. Got myself home and the house hasn't burned down.

But now the car still won't start and the steering is still not locked.
Is this the likely problem?

I've had the car for 6 days! Must be some record. Luckily the dealer has given me 6 months warranty so will be calling them in the morning.

Anyone able to proffer any insight and/or advice?
SteEnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2018, 23:31   #2
SteEnt

Just been and had another play with it now it’s parked doing nothing and got an additional message saying “Steering Lock service required” which quickly disappeared and I can’t get to show again.
Old Aug 25th, 2018, 00:29   #3
JRL
Master Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKCAlsrl1jg
Old Aug 25th, 2018, 00:43   #4
SteEnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRL View Post
Yeah I saw that when I searched. It’s definitely the steering column lock. Thankfully I won’t be paying to replace it but I know what to do if it happens again out of warranty.
Old Aug 25th, 2018, 12:42   #5
SteEnt

Does anyone know what the cost will be from Volvo to replace the steering lock?
I’ve dropped the car off with my mechanic to see if he can sort a temporary fix.
I spoke with the dealer that sold me the car last week and they said “get a quote for a repair and we’ll pay any ‘reasonable’ costs.”
So I was wondering what it would cost as Volvo will need to program a new unit.
I can see this becoming an ongoing battle to get it paid for to be put right under the so called warranty.
Old Aug 25th, 2018, 14:15   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteEnt View Post
Does anyone know what the cost will be from Volvo to replace the steering lock?
I’ve dropped the car off with my mechanic to see if he can sort a temporary fix.
I spoke with the dealer that sold me the car last week and they said “get a quote for a repair and we’ll pay any ‘reasonable’ costs.”
So I was wondering what it would cost as Volvo will need to program a new unit.
I can see this becoming an ongoing battle to get it paid for to be put right under the so called warranty.
The supplying garage will be lucky to get a warranty pay out as you have only had the car for 6 days ,they will say the problem was there whilst the garage owned it .. I suspect you bought someone else's problem .

The Steering column lock is over £200 I believe +software + 1.5 hours labour + vat . near £500 I guess .
Old Aug 25th, 2018, 14:28   #7
SteEnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
The supplying garage will be lucky to get a warranty pay out as you have only had the car for 6 days ,they will say the problem was there whilst the garage owned it .. I suspect you bought someone else's problem .

The Steering column lock is over £200 I believe +software + 1.5 hours labour + vat . near £500 I guess .
But under the consumer rights act if a fault occurs within 6 months of purchase, it is presumed to have been there since the time you took ownership of it unless the retailer can prove otherwise.

I doubt they're going to be able to prove that this problem simply developed in 6 days since I drove it away.
Old Aug 26th, 2018, 20:56   #8
Bungo
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteEnt View Post
But under the consumer rights act if a fault occurs within 6 months of purchase, it is presumed to have been there since the time you took ownership of it unless the retailer can prove otherwise.

I doubt they're going to be able to prove that this problem simply developed in 6 days since I drove it away.
Doesn't matter if you have a warranty or not. The Law applies either way.
You give them the opportunity to fix it, if they don't you ask for your money back.
Old Aug 30th, 2018, 19:10   #9
SteEnt

Got the car booked in for 13th September as the lock as had a temporary fix on it for now.
Total cost for new lock to be fitted was £362.38.
Told the dealer I bought the car off about this and they called the Volvo garage today and paid for the cost upfront.
Pretty good service if you ask me!