Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Which HID Kit?

Views : 1208

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 29th, 2018, 17:32   #1
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Default Which HID Kit?

Just ordered the SKBOWE PWM Filter for my S40.

Wondered if anybody recommends a specific HID kit to go with these?

Are there any specific type of HID bulb that would fit best in the H7 unit?
Old Aug 29th, 2018, 18:20   #2
ASt85
Premier Member

This question crops up frequently - you'll find one of the more recent posts relating to this question here

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=278277

Whichever you finally choose the pair will need to carry a CE marking and be designed specifically for your S40's reflector otherwise they will fail an MOT if checked.

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto

Last edited by ASt85; Aug 29th, 2018 at 18:23.
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2018, 09:25   #3
FunkyMelon
Master Member

I got this one.

https://www.hids4u.co.uk/D2R-D2S-HID...rsion-Kit.html

Didn't bother with the SKBOWE kit, as I spoke to HIDS4U about the issue prior to ordering and they were aware of it a few years back and have redesigned the ballast a few times to stop the wiper modules going.

Had mine in 2 years, I have DRL disabled by Volvo (previous owner) but I leave headlights running all the time anyway, same bulbs with the kit are still going.

They're plug and play except for a hole that needs drilling in the plastic cover for the headlight for the supply wires. Ballast runs very cool and I've not had any issues

Stay away from cheap ebay tack!
Old Aug 30th, 2018, 10:07   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5R92011 View Post
Just ordered the SKBOWE PWM Filter for my S40.

Wondered if anybody recommends a specific HID kit to go with these?

Are there any specific type of HID bulb that would fit best in the H7 unit?
These are now illegal and will be checked and failed on the MOT from Last May 20th ...
Old Aug 30th, 2018, 10:24   #5
FunkyMelon
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
These are now illegal and will be checked and failed on the MOT from Last May 20th ...
Absolutely crap rule given how p*ss poor the Volvo headlights are on these cars.

I couldn't believe how bad mine were when I first got it, actually got out and checked I wasn't running on side lights only. For a manufacturer who prides themselves on 'safety', they're a complete joke. Shame despite the numerous threads/complaints Volvo never did anything about this either, just ignored the people.

Fortunately, it's a 5 minute swap prior to the MOT to put the standard candles back in - Job done!
Old Aug 30th, 2018, 10:27   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMelon View Post
Absolutely crap rule given how p*ss poor the Volvo headlights are on these cars.

I couldn't believe how bad mine were when I first got it, actually got out and checked I wasn't running on side lights only. For a manufacturer who prides themselves on 'safety', they're a complete joke. Shame despite the numerous threads/complaints Volvo never did anything about this either, just ignored the people.

Fortunately, it's a 5 minute swap prior to the MOT to put the standard candles back in - Job done!
have you looked at the reflectors ? it is common for the silver to burn off the top and it is the top which is used for dip beam . Volvo don't make them like this new, ie dull when new !
Old Aug 30th, 2018, 11:09   #7
Thorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMelon View Post

I couldn't believe how bad mine were when I first got it, actually got out and checked I wasn't running on side lights only. For a manufacturer who prides themselves on 'safety', they're a complete joke. Shame despite the numerous threads/complaints Volvo never did anything about this either, just ignored the people
I totally agree. And despite what Clan says, it's my experience that the V50 headlights were atrocious from new. The day I bought my V50 I went away for the weekend and took it out on a wet evening on A- and B-roads that I was not very familiar with. As soon as I got home I took it back to the dealership and complained that there was something wrong with the headlights. I was assured that there wasn't, and told "off the record" that the V50's halogens were unofficially acknowledged to be poor.
I tried several different bulbs, including Nightbreakers, and raising the beam, but nothing made any significant difference.
If it wasn't for those headlights, I'd still be driving that car, but after five winters of misery whenever I went out of town I decided enough was enough. It was a shame, because it suited me in every other way.
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thorn For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 30th, 2018, 11:22   #8
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

In my opinion, these cars should be failing MOT tests for poor headlamp output. And Volvo should offer the internal projector unit at a discounted rate (perhaps they do?)

They should never have used a halogen projector design as an 'always on' DRL solution, too much heat!

I remember my first S40 was barely 4 years old and the headlamps were shot to bits by 108,000 miles.

I'd blame Ford, but the shared platform Focus has a normal reflector design for its halogen headlamps...

Last edited by T5R92011; Aug 30th, 2018 at 11:25.
T5R92011 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to T5R92011 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 30th, 2018, 11:32   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I totally agree. And despite what Clan says, it's my experience that the V50 headlights were atrocious from new. The day I bought my V50 I went away for the weekend and took it out on a wet evening on A- and B-roads that I was not very familiar with. As soon as I got home I took it back to the dealership and complained that there was something wrong with the headlights. I was assured that there wasn't, and told "off the record" that the V50's halogens were unofficially acknowledged to be poor.
I tried several different bulbs, including Nightbreakers, and raising the beam, but nothing made any significant difference.
If it wasn't for those headlights, I'd still be driving that car, but after five winters of misery whenever I went out of town I decided enough was enough. It was a shame, because it suited me in every other way.
For some reason a lot of new cars like this were delivered with the headlamps too low , if you have perfect reflectors and raise the beam as much as you can get away with it does make a difference ..
Old Aug 30th, 2018, 15:33   #10
andy_d
Premier Member

and turn "DRL=OFF" at a main dealer, save wear on the reflectors,,as , if you cant see a car in good light Unless it has its lights on, what is your guide dog doing driving ? ,, the highway code Covers all the times and conditions where you Need to use lights on the car, !

mine has new reflectors in , std halogen bulbs (not XX% brighter) and is fine in dip beams when travelling along unlighted country roads BUT its going in for drl-off as soon as funds allow after the MOT