Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Which HID Kit?

Views : 1209

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 30th, 2018, 15:41   #11
FunkyMelon
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
mine has new reflectors in
Where did you get the reflectors from out of interest?

As far as I was aware you could only buy the entire headlight assembly at around £500 per side?
Old Aug 30th, 2018, 15:55   #12
phutyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
and turn "DRL=OFF" at a main dealer, save wear on the reflectors,,as , if you cant see a car in good light Unless it has its lights on, what is your guide dog doing driving ? ,, the highway code Covers all the times and conditions where you Need to use lights on the car, !
Probably time the Highway Code was updated so. Plenty of countries require DRLs, and the evidence points to them being effective in reducing daytime crashes. Also, it's not just other drivers they benefit. Maybe they are of help to pedestrians with visual impairments, whether they have guide dogs or not.
phutyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2018, 17:26   #13
x DTR x
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
These are now illegal and will be checked and failed on the MOT from Last May 20th ...
I have had HIDs fitted for a few years now and my mot is due in a few weeks. Has anyone on here with HIDs fitted failed the mot with them since the changes last may? Just interested as may have to swap mine out before it goes in.

2005 V50 2.0 SE Sport
1999 S40 1.8 Gdi
1993 460 1.7 LX
x DTR x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2018, 18:18   #14
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMelon View Post

As far as I was aware you could only buy the entire headlight assembly at around £500 per side?
you got it ,, OWch time but needs must
Old Aug 30th, 2018, 18:23   #15
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by x DTR x View Post
I have had HIDs fitted for a few years now and my mot is due in a few weeks. Has anyone on here with HIDs fitted failed the mot with them since the changes last may? Just interested as may have to swap mine out before it goes in.
I've done that already , got some 80/100 w bulbs .(H4) Checking is now a testable item and with the complex training procedure now for MOT testers they will be on the ball . It takes 5 days to do the MOT tester's course now , + an assessment in work before you can start tests so very comprehensive ..
Old Aug 30th, 2018, 21:32   #16
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

The MOT issue is there is now a check for fitting a light source not compatible with the headlight - and the MOT test manual now describes what markings to look for on the headlight to identify what sort of bulb to expect.

I agree it's not the best rule as many S40/V50's have been improved by fitting new projectors and HID bulbs (including my wife's) but these should fail now under the new rules - even if the projectors have been changed - as the outer headlamp marking is for Halogen.

However something needed to be done as there are now a number of cars out there with bluntly dangerous HID retrofits - especially the twin filament H4 conversions which where never going to work. I've seen loads of older Golfs, Fabias, Mundano's and Transits with them now which just shouldn't be on the road.

On another tack..... my mother has a 10 year old C30 with only 30k miles on it and I drove it in the dark recently - the headlights are quite good so I think with new Volvo spec headlights (not the pattern crap from e-bay) they should be okay.

If you are capable of fitting a HID kit then why not just swap back to halogen for the MOT? Whilst they are technically not legal, they always have been, and I have never heard of anyone being specifically prosecuted for HID conversions (given a defect notice - yes, but prosecuted - no).
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2018, 22:02   #17
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Everybody is driving jacked up SUVs/Crossovers with Super Bright matrix LED headlamps now...

These are going to blind you far more than any HID kit fitted to an S40 with flakey silvering.. MOT fail or not.

HID's are old tech now. Super bright LED headlamps are here to stay.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to T5R92011 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 30th, 2018, 22:42   #18
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5R92011 View Post
Everybody is driving jacked up SUVs/Crossovers with Super Bright matrix LED headlamps now...

These are going to blind you far more than any HID kit fitted to an S40 with flakey silvering.. MOT fail or not.

HID's are old tech now. Super bright LED headlamps are here to stay.
In new cars - yes

As a retrofit for halogen - not yet, probably never...
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2018, 09:37   #19
Thorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
For some reason a lot of new cars like this were delivered with the headlamps too low , if you have perfect reflectors and raise the beam as much as you can get away with it does make a difference ..
I did, and it didn't, to any appreciable degree.
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2018, 10:21   #20
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMelon View Post

You can easily get a replacement projectors of any flavour - used, new, OEM, aftermarket, H7 or D2s. Thats the beauty of our "open design" headlamp.
Have a look at my retrofit thread . I used brand new but aftermarket projectors that I bought for 120e/set if I remember correctly. Firstly I did it with H7, then the same but with D2S. But you can as easily source any Bosch AL projector from any car that uses it (A4 for example) - mounts are identical. Problem ofcourse is that OEM projectors will be D2S only so once you fit it, there is no way back to H7 before MOT (hence I have 2 set of headlamps). But that retrofitlab site sells H7 projectors aswell, and you can choose whether you want to use them with H7 halogen or H7 HID then. You are also gaining bi-xenon shutter so if you wire it, you will further improve your long beam, regardless of light source.
All in all - if your reflectors are worn or you fancy a nice-crisp cutoff instead of our fresnel lens old type projectors, that is a good way to approach this.
And it also,. btw, brings you as close as possible to "fully legal" and properly done retro (if going d2s option), as you are using purpose-built xenon projectors with quality bulb (Osram Xenarc in my case) and perfect razor-sharp cutoff with no light leaks. Just make sure your lamps are clean (I clean it every other day, hate dirty lamps, and lets face it - washers are useless and are only a MOT requirement) and lights are levelled properly.
oh, and to any "OMG you need self-levelling!" activists you may just reply that OEM xenons on our cars were not active anyway - meaning it just self-level itself on the start of the journey and wont react on jumps/potholes etc so if you use your brain and light-levelling stalk, you are as good as you can be with no harm to other users.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg x1.jpg (74.1 KB, 61 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to LizardOfBodom For This Useful Post: