Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C30 EGR issue - electrical?

Views : 346

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 17:56   #1
Faxo

Default C30 EGR issue - electrical?

P0488 Exhaust gas recirculation throttle control circuit A range/performance
P2141 Exhaust gas recirculation throttle control circuit A low

Hi people
Replaced the engine on a 2010 C30 1.6d after the old one threw a rod. Upon stripping the engine, noticed the old one had a newish looking EGR fitted, so I swapped that onto the replacement engine. 1st road test revealed it was in limp mode, not revving past 2800rpm

It threw the codes listed above. A tiny bit of digging made me think as the newish looking EGR was a non branded one, it was possibly causing issues, so I swapped the Valeo one back on after a quick clean (it wasn’t particularly dirty anyway) I actually accidentally left it unplugged and it put the ESP light on, which I had also read about. Realising the error, I plugged it in and cleared the codes

The EGR codes come back as pending, even when the car hasn’t yet been driven, only started to idle. It will be in limp mode, then sporadically will let you have abit more in 2nd onwards, but then once slowed for traffic, drops into limp mode again. Due to the fact the codes return without actually driving it, I’m thinking it’s more an electrical issue? My code reader, although good, won’t let me test if the EGR is working

Does anyone have any experience with these EGR issues, and can point me in the right direction?

Thanks
Faxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2019, 20:33   #2
Faxo

Ok so update on this - this might help people because when searching, I found a lot of posts asking this but no answers

I actually ended up having the EGR mapped out. This was for cost reasons, as I’d tried 2 EGR valves with no success, and a lot of people were saying a genuine Volvo one would be the only fix

The mapper commented that there was possibly a throttle body fault. He had to have the ECU off the car in order to map it, and said that the EGR fault was possibly a red herring (great &#128563

Upon reinstallation, it was still in limp mode!!

Luckily I had a spare complete throttle housing, including all sensors. A quick change of these components, and it was fixed!! There were no codes once the EGR was deleted, but it was still in limp mode. Now, no limp mode, and no codes!!
Faxo is offline   Reply With Quote