Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Retro Turbo adjustable panhard rod

Views : 1550

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 14th, 2020, 00:04   #11
mhuk

Jimm,

Whats with your bushes?

Im meant to be getting reolacements from him for worn bushes at 8000ish miles. However his gone silent so it feels. Someone told me there was a bad batch.

I had stuff off the guy before like a strut bar and no issues. Hopefully it will be ok.
Old Aug 14th, 2020, 00:06   #12
mhuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimsiss View Post
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/member.php?u=145419

This guy does panhard rods with rose joints etc. Prices and build quality look good too

https://www.facebook.com/93378852337...257681639/?d=n

These are not the up to date prices, think it was £120 now.
Viking guy been fine with me. Makes other stuff too.
Old Aug 14th, 2020, 07:42   #13
Jimsiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhuk View Post
Jimm,

Whats with your bushes?

Im meant to be getting reolacements from him for worn bushes at 8000ish miles. However his gone silent so it feels. Someone told me there was a bad batch.

I had stuff off the guy before like a strut bar and no issues. Hopefully it will be ok.
Mine were full of air holes when I got them (had no choice but to fit them at the time) but last time I looked they seemed in poor condition, front steering feels way looser than it did when they were first fitted. Doubt they’ve done as many miles as yours. I’ll try and get under and have another look at some point.
Old Aug 14th, 2020, 08:20   #14
mhuk

https://youtu.be/DKe3Py6dtvk
https://youtu.be/rWMKO-LtHR0
https://youtu.be/BF6KbXSypMM

More on my youtube channel.. Get some pictures video and contact the seller. He wilp want thrm back. In waiting since sunday for a reply do followed up yesterday. My steering was very bad wigh a tugging like feeling. The steering wheel did nit move but it felt like it was. New rack and pump and its the bushes.
Old Aug 14th, 2020, 11:33   #15
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda View Post
Ordered a adjustable panhard rod from Retro Turbo.

In the picture on the site there is a sturdy nut welded to the rod where there adjustable end screws into. The rod i received did not have that. The end of the rod was compressed (probably not the correct word) and threaded.
My question is how reliable this kind of solution is. The site boasts that the rod is "3x more superior in quality and strength to IPD rod". It does not look that way to me. The thread is about 1 cm long and i am afraid that this might give in in under hard cornering. What do you guys think, is this kind of connection sufficient?

Only 1cm of thread is about right and all that is really needed. The thread looks tapped rather than rolled so not as strong but still not a problem. What does worry me is how thin the wall is. If the lock nut ever came loose I can see the side loads very quickly stretching the end back out and ripping through the thread. I always use thread inserts in my bars
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2020, 21:28   #16
TonyS9
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
IMHO it looks homemade, like someone tapped a thread into the end of a piece of stainless steel curtain rail. It’s also not obvious to me how the adjustment would work. It doesn’t look as though it could be adjusted in situ or finely adjusted since you’d presumably need to get the end piece the right orientation to bolt onto the axle.

This looks a better design to me.

https://lucacarmods.com/en/shop/susp...anhard-rod-pu/
If one end is anti-clockwise thread, you can just twist the bar to adjust it.

Also agree with Dai, 3mm thick wall tapped is not strong enough.

Also "your" instead of "you're" on the seller page lol.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TonyS9 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 17th, 2020, 21:49   #17
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyS9 View Post
Also "your" instead of "you're" on the seller page lol.
If you're referring to the Luca Car Mods seller page Tony, as far as i'm aware he's Dutch (i could be wrong) so English isn't his first language and his English is way better than my Dutch!

Agreed though, grammar is important - it's the difference between knowing your sh!t and knowing you're sh!t!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2020, 22:20   #18
TonyS9
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
If you're referring to the Luca Car Mods seller page Tony, as far as i'm aware he's Dutch (i could be wrong) so English isn't his first language and his English is way better than my Dutch!

Agreed though, grammar is important - it's the difference between knowing your sh!t and knowing you're sh!t!
I'm referring to the Retro Turbo site for the original item. Seems to be UK and Polish based.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TonyS9 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 17th, 2020, 23:26   #19
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

I would consider that a minor grammar issue.

I just can not see any way it can be 3 times better than IPD. I doubt IPD would be happy about that statement
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2020, 23:54   #20
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
I would consider that a minor grammar issue.

I just can not see any way it can be 3 times better than IPD. I doubt IPD would be happy about that statement
Whether it's a minor or a major grammatical error is largely irrelevant, the fact remains it's an error.

If someone is setting themselves up as an alleged professional and can't even get the presntation of their goods right, of which grammar forms a part, what hope does the cutomer have that the part will be correct?

Absolutely no hope, Bob Hope and antelope.

Whether it's better or worse than the IPD offering is again irrelevant, the simple fact is it's extremely unprofessional to make a sweeping statement like that and could leave the seller open to a libel case at the very least. Slating a competitors product isn't a great way of endearing customers to a seller either.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote