Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Battery for 2007 XC90 3.2L FWD

Views : 1189

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 8th, 2014, 15:36   #1
Jim314
Premier Member

Default Battery for 2007 XC90 3.2L FWD

I want to replace the battery on my wife's XC90 before there is even a hint of trouble. Can the battery be tested with the battery connected or does it have to be disconnected from the vehicle?

I have been told that the other day a message appeared on the radio display, "Battery Low Infotainment system about to shut down" while the radio was being played with the engine off. I don't know if the ign switch was in Position I or Position II (lights on).

The OE Volvo labeled battery has now been in service for 7.5 years and is rated on the sticker on the battery 600 CCA, Reserve 120 min, 70 Ah. The owner's manual gives this as the specs for the V8 and gives a lower spec for the 3.2L I6-cyl, but this is what the sticker says.

Maybe I should get the OE battery checked before I just go out and replace it.

I changed the battery on my 2004 V70 myself in the parking lot of the auto parts store. Given the special recommendation for Volvos for disconnection (wait 5 min) and for reconnection (ign switch in Position II), I'm not willing to let anyone but the dealer do this on my wife's car.

A local auto parts chain has several batteries which they list as suitable for this 2007 XC90 3.2. The one I'm thinking about is a Bosch H6/L3/48 H6-760B, SKU 672432. Specs are 760 CCA/910 CA, Reserve 120 min. It is a standard flooded lead acid battery, not one of the sealed glass matt types.

Would this be a good choice? Is there any downside to getting a battery with a higher capacity than the original one? Show I just go to the dealer and have them check the battery and replace if they see fit?

Last edited by Jim314; Oct 8th, 2014 at 15:52.
Jim314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2014, 18:48   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim314 View Post
I want to replace the battery on my wife's XC90 before there is even a hint of trouble. Can the battery be tested with the battery connected or does it have to be disconnected from the vehicle?

I have been told that the other day a message appeared on the radio display, "Battery Low Infotainment system about to shut down" while the radio was being played with the engine off. I don't know if the ign switch was in Position I or Position II (lights on).

The OE Volvo labeled battery has now been in service for 7.5 years and is rated on the sticker on the battery 600 CCA, Reserve 120 min, 70 Ah. The owner's manual gives this as the specs for the V8 and gives a lower spec for the 3.2L I6-cyl, but this is what the sticker says.

Maybe I should get the OE battery checked before I just go out and replace it.

I changed the battery on my 2004 V70 myself in the parking lot of the auto parts store. Given the special recommendation for Volvos for disconnection (wait 5 min) and for reconnection (ign switch in Position II), I'm not willing to let anyone but the dealer do this on my wife's car.

A local auto parts chain has several batteries which they list as suitable for this 2007 XC90 3.2. The one I'm thinking about is a Bosch H6/L3/48 H6-760B, SKU 672432. Specs are 760 CCA/910 CA, Reserve 120 min. It is a standard flooded lead acid battery, not one of the sealed glass matt types.

Would this be a good choice? Is there any downside to getting a battery with a higher capacity than the original one? Show I just go to the dealer and have them check the battery and replace if they see fit?
I would certainly try the last option you mention , In UK, genuine volvo battery prices are amongst the lowest .. and they all have a volvo battery tester .
Old Oct 10th, 2014, 05:29   #3
Volvo Ocean Race
Volvo Ocean Race

I changed 3 batteries in 8 years and until last one
Was original volvo but i buy Varta made for diesel xc
And trust me i like the duration and capacity.
Dont worry about small difference in filling from
Car alternator there will be no any isuees.
I will post exact model Silver series as you will ask
Me why i changed so many batt.

Im working internationally and car is sometimes
Parked few months...

There is so called process sulfatization and trust me there is
No charger or bla bla that you can repair plates onnce this
Process is started...

When battery voltage is going under certain level ( correct me guys if
Im wrong) under 11.20 after long period of not use sulfatization process
Started and plates starts be covered by chemical supstances and ampers is
Never be like before.
They sell some chargers against this but short time solution.
Keeping battery connected on special chargers is the only solution
If you are not driving a car for long time 20-40 days...or more.
Short start one circle around the town will not help.

Buy battery bigger for diesel and sleep tight.
There is the space for bigger one dont worry.
Soon i will place photos.

Update:
09.Febr.2019 from Sept. 2014 I made up to 305.000 km
Volvo Ocean Race is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2014, 14:32   #4
Jim314
Premier Member

The Volvo dealer is distant and I just went to a nearby retail battery store and got the battery tested. The result with a hand held digital tester was 480 CCA which the tester rated as acceptable, but the tech said was marginal by their standards. I had not intended to buy a battery without full consideration of choices, but I thought about a failure on a cold winter morning and just bought a battery on the spot. I watched the tech install it.

The battery is an ordinary quality battery labeled ProCell 24 made by EastPenn-Deka a known US manufacturer. The ticket stated SLI48H6 12 V 48 Procell 24, and the sticker on the battery 680 CCA. It has only a 24 month full replacement warranty. I paid 135 USD, including local and state sales tax.

I had the key out of the ignition during the whole process. Before disconnecting the old battery the tech connected a voltage source to the OBD port. I was uneasy about this but decided just to let them carry out their procedure and trust they had a procedure which would work on my car.

There was no drama (no sparking when the ground side was reconnected) and all systems of the XC90 work as before. I will say that I am trying to reduce the time and energy I spend on trying to always get to a certain level of quality for the goods and services I consume as a middle class American.

I decided to buy an "American made", battery thinking that this might reduce my environmental footprint. Only when I thought about it later did I realize that by acting hastily I got a lower quality battery than I would have gotten if I had carefully shopped for it. Oh well.

Last edited by Jim314; Oct 10th, 2014 at 15:03.
Jim314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2014, 00:17   #5
Volvo Ocean Race
Volvo Ocean Race

Nice long story. Its important to take care about environment
But as I work worldwide is useless as just go in Saudi Arabia
Kuwait China Tajikistan ect...they produce batteries and they dont
Care like us about nature...why we think to care about nature buying
And recycling (this is BS trash mafia) when they say pay pay pay
We will recycle your old batteries trash cars ect...
To open.another green post will be better.
In Slovenia in winter can.be cold and good battery is main
Expenses when you change for new one dont look to buy
Cheap one made in China with sticker made in germany varta or
Usa. Liars.

Update:
09.Febr.2019 from Sept. 2014 I made up to 305.000 km
Volvo Ocean Race is offline   Reply With Quote