Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

When is AWD not AWD ?

Views : 4000

Replies : 52

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 18th, 2015, 22:09   #51
Kev78

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
No need to get rude Kev.

I drove them back to back. Wasn't just my judgment. The whole family preferred the new XC90.

The problem I had with the Range Rover was that it was good on the move but when you stopped in traffic the standing fuel losses were awful. You could see the fuel gauge dropping. Also the suspension felt fine on the move but it drove me nuts going up and down every time I went through one of our field gates. To be fair the new XC90 goes up and down as well but not so much that you really notice. Also the Land Rover dealer here charges a £260 hour labour rate. Also the car did not fit me as well as the XC90 did so wasn't nearly as comfortable and the XC90 is much bigger and more spacious. Also the quality of the interior was way better than the Range Rover. The instruments were like they came from different centuries. Also I bought a V8 because I expected it to sound like one and the engine was so subdued that it could have been anything under the bonnet. The XC90 was the same in that respect and went just as well so what was the point in paying a fortune in fuel when there was almost no noticeable difference?

The only Corsa 1.6 litre with 220 bhp that I can find is a special edition rally car. How did you get that as a courtesy car?
I didn't mean to be rude. I just think there is no comparison. Obviously the Range Rover is going to use a lot of fuel being a 4.4 V8. Not a car for economy.

As for sound most V8's sound terrible due to the exhaust and noise regulations. Even the V8 M3's sound subdued without a aftermarket or BMW performance exhaust.

The corsa was a vxr. It was def 200bhp+ and was as bad as any other small capacity turbo engine. I was not happy when I got it as my previous courtesy car was a boxster S.

I also had a new gtc based on the insignia platform for a while. That was 180bhp 1.6 turbo. Suffered the same problems (not top end, 20 mpg) but handled very well for a fwd Vauxhall. I normally hate them.

2 litre turbos are nothing new and none have ever come close to delivering the mpg the claim unless you drive like a vicar and live somewhere without hills.

The new XC90 looks as blingy on the inside as it does on the outside and I was impressed with the interior on my short test drive.

But owners say the seat base is thin and they aren't as comfortable as the xc60. And there are a lot of quality issues that owners are complaining about.

Again I feel this points to cost saving and cutting corners.

I'm not a huge fan of land rovers due to their reliability and servicing costs TBH.

But a new Range Rover V8 is hard to beat for luxury, comfort and power. The suspension is sublime. I honestly think a xc90 D5 doesn't come close.

Sorry if I offended you as it wasn't my intention.

It does seems that some people would defend Volvo on here if they ditched engine and went Flintstones style.

I admire Saab for not changing their values when GMC owned them even though it led to their dimise.

It seems Volvo have sold out much easier. The new XC90 has nothing in common with previous Volvo's. It is a prime example of form before function. Volvo's used to be the opposite of that. Ugly as sin, but built like nothing else, functional and totally reliable.
Old Dec 18th, 2015, 22:41   #52
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev78 View Post
I didn't mean to be rude. I just think there is no comparison. Obviously the Range Rover is going to use a lot of fuel being a 4.4 V8. Not a car for economy.

As for sound most V8's sound terrible due to the exhaust and noise regulations. Even the V8 M3's sound subdued without a aftermarket or BMW performance exhaust.

The corsa was a vxr. It was def 200bhp+ and was as bad as any other small capacity turbo engine. I was not happy when I got it as my previous courtesy car was a boxster S.

I also had a new gtc based on the insignia platform for a while. That was 180bhp 1.6 turbo. Suffered the same problems (not top end, 20 mpg) but handled very well for a fwd Vauxhall. I normally hate them.

2 litre turbos are nothing new and none have ever come close to delivering the mpg the claim unless you drive like a vicar and live somewhere without hills.

The new XC90 looks as blingy on the inside as it does on the outside and I was impressed with the interior on my short test drive.

But owners say the seat base is thin and they aren't as comfortable as the xc60. And there are a lot of quality issues that owners are complaining about.

Again I feel this points to cost saving and cutting corners.

I'm not a huge fan of land rovers due to their reliability and servicing costs TBH.

But a new Range Rover V8 is hard to beat for luxury, comfort and power. The suspension is sublime. I honestly think a xc90 D5 doesn't come close.

Sorry if I offended you as it wasn't my intention.

It does seems that some people would defend Volvo on here if they ditched engine and went Flintstones style.

I admire Saab for not changing their values when GMC owned them even though it led to their dimise.

It seems Volvo have sold out much easier. The new XC90 has nothing in common with previous Volvo's. It is a prime example of form before function. Volvo's used to be the opposite of that. Ugly as sin, but built like nothing else, functional and totally reliable.
Must say I hadn't thought about the noise regulations being the reason both the V8's have not sounded how I expected and more boring than the old D5.

I can appear to defend Volvo regardless as mostly I do but when I think there is a real issue I'll be as critical as the next person.

I realise that personally you don't like the move to 4 cylinders and two litres, but for me I've lived with Volvo producing 1.8 and 2 litre engines for 40 years and as long as the cars accelerate well I'm happy. And they are much livelier now than they used to be. I particularlly like the new designs having bought the big estates for size not looks, but now they look pretty as well I'm not complaining.

I agree that the XC60 is an optionally comfortable long distance car and was the reason I sold my old XC90. The new tech just takes it to a whole new level. 560 miles and not feeling tired is exceptional in my book. I'm waiting to see what new XC90 owners say about long distance comfort, but unlike you I have seen favourable comments and it felt great to me on the three day test I gave it. I'm no great weight though. As the power to weight ratio was better than my XC60 it felt comparable to my XC60 with a bit more power. Interesting how it can be perceived so differently by ourselves though.

I should add my Range Rover was not one of the new aluminium chassis ones though. It was the last of the steel chassis ones. It did make me realise there was a level of running cost that I could afford but felt like a waste of money. I think if I had really liked it I wouldn't have traded it in for the XC60 though. The combination of 4C chassis and 17" wheels seemed better, and continues to do so, than the Range Rovers irritating air suspension. Just as comfortable on the road as well. Handles muddy fields fine as well.
Old Dec 18th, 2015, 23:15   #53
NigelDay
Premier Member

I can echo a few of Roy's comments. We drive 400 miles down to our granddaughter in Plymouth, 360 of which is M6/M5. The ride comfort is wonderful and it is nice to get out at the other end and not feel tired (I do all the driving for my pleasure, and also Mrs D really doesn't like the thought of driving such a large car - compared to her Fiat Panda Cross). It simply eats the miles. Roy and a few others influenced me to get 4C and 'spec down' to 17" tyres. Now on 'A rated quiet' Nokian Weatherproofs and the laminated glass, it is very quiet. As for the engine, I find the D4 well-matched to the chassis, and the economy - 45mpg if I drive sensibly - is quite respectable. Actually better economy than the Panda !
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NigelDay For This Useful Post: