Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What to check and do before a long haul...

Views : 2013

Replies : 47

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 28th, 2022, 09:55   #21
yostumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
It's fairly easy to reset but I can't remember thye exact procedure. just Google it and you will get a video on how to

I do my own servicing now on the D5 as I can get the full service kit from Mill Volvo for £120 odd and that includes the oil

I did have dealer services from new until the warranty expired but the prices are now silly for what you get.

Couple of hours and you are done and you also know everything is done correctly

ps I'm also originally from Kent and used to fish on the Thames at Gravesend for flatties. My Dad had a betting shop on Plumstead common as well
Haha! I'm actually in Gravesend.
Old Jan 28th, 2022, 10:42   #22
Olaf Els

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Rama View Post
Did anyone mention the following:

1. Check the spare tyre for condition and pressure.
2. Carry a crack bar for changing a wheel.
3. Check for wheel lock key, if lock bolts fitted.
3. Check jack is present and operational.
4. Carry a foot pump for emergency low tech inflation + pressure gauge.
5. Carry jump leads.
6. Check torque of wheel bolts.
7. A few rags.(cleaning windows, mirrors, dipstick etc.
8. Small basic tool kit.
9. Spare bulbs.
10. On a long journey, I also carry 1L of oil, 1L of antifreeze.
All excellent advice for a long journey. I keep my locking wheel nut key in an orange bag in the centre console, so it's easily identified and can't be mislaid.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Olaf Els For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 28th, 2022, 13:28   #23
yostumpy

Are locking wheel nuts worth the hassle, I mean do people actually get their wheels stolen these days, as most cars have locking wheel nuts , so people don't bother trying? thinking of swapping mine for std wheel bolt.
Old Jan 28th, 2022, 14:29   #24
BigGreenThing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Rama View Post
Did anyone mention the following:

1. Check the spare tyre for condition and pressure (ASKED FOR ON SERVICE)
2. Carry a crack bar for changing a wheel (GOOD CALL!)
3. Check for wheel lock key, if lock bolts fitted (DONE)
3. Check jack is present and operational (ASKED FOR ON SERVICE)
4. Carry a foot pump for emergency low tech inflation + pressure gauge (GOOD CALL)
5. Carry jump leads (GOT)
6. Check torque of wheel bolts (DONE)
7. A few rags.(cleaning windows, mirrors, dipstick etc. (GOT)
8. Small basic tool kit (GOOD CALL!)
9. Spare bulbs (GOT. PLENTY OF!)
10. On a long journey, I also carry 1L of oil, 1L of antifreeze.
(GOT THE OIL)

This is a really great list Tony. Thank you!
Old Jan 28th, 2022, 14:31   #25
Olaf Els

Quote:
Originally Posted by yostumpy View Post
Are locking wheel nuts worth the hassle, I mean do people actually get their wheels stolen these days, as most cars have locking wheel nuts , so people don't bother trying? thinking of swapping mine for std wheel bolt.
I have the same doubts. However a locking wheel nut is a pretty minor inconvenience if you know where the key is so I left them on. I don't have the originals anyway.
Old Jan 28th, 2022, 14:39   #26
BigGreenThing

Smile

Quote:
Agreed....yebbut..... its £448 with a £25 mot fee. the thing is the main dealer is reasonably local to me, and easy to drop off and cycle home, etc.

I got a price from an indy in Sutton, that has been recommended every where, and he is £300, But wants the car 3-4 hours, and doesn't like people waiting in case something goes wrong. So factor in a 1 hour car journey...£12? and then a 1 1/2 hour train home £16, then ditto return. that comes to almost £360 and 2 days faffing about. Plus and xtra £20 mot some where else thats £380.

Hmmm! I e mailed the place in Plumstead, but got no response. ( I'm in N.
kent)

Alternatively I take the Mrs, drop car off early, train to That London, have a day in the schmoke, food+ beer, then home, then back next day on my tod.?
Hmmm.

PS. on a 2016 Xc70, how do you clear the service alert on the dash, as I want to wait another month, after MOT. (Is the service warning triangle an MOT thing?)
The irony is that the " 'plus 4 club' scheme" I think is a Kent based thing. Guy who owned the car before me had it and he lived near Sevenoaks...and Lipscombe Volvo offers the package (based in Maidstone and Canterbury I think)...which isn't that far from Gravesend on the Medway River....which I've also fished on...but for barbel not flatties!). A random world we live in! LOL!
Old Jan 28th, 2022, 14:56   #27
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGreenThing View Post
The irony is that the " 'plus 4 club' scheme" I think is a Kent based thing. Guy who owned the car before me had it and he lived near Sevenoaks...and Lipscombe Volvo offers the package (based in Maidstone and Canterbury I think)...which isn't that far from Gravesend on the Medway River....which I've also fished on...but for barbel not flatties!). A random world we live in! LOL!
Fished on the Medway when I was a kid at Yalding. There was no Barbel in it back in those days so we had to head to the Kennet or Doset stour
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2022, 15:59   #28
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Two hours labour some years ago shifting one seized on , been off a fortnight previously.
All subsequent purchases , I’ve removed them !

I agree with your take on their everyday worth!🧐
Moomoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2022, 18:31   #29
Tony Rama

Quote:
Depends where you live, where you park, and where you travel to. I had none on my ex SAAB 9000 for 15 years after I lost the bolt key and had to use the "bash on old socket" method to get them off. In that 15 years of unlockedness they did not grow legs. During this same period a friend of mine, who didn't have lock bolts, went to visit someone in East London. Returning to his car after midnight, he found the wheels had been replaced by bricks. So it still happens. He didn't at first notice in the dark. Got in the car, went to pull away, and nothing happened. My current V70 came with locking bolts and also the key. Another friend once bought a car which came with lock bolts but without the key. Something to check when buying a vehicle!

Last edited by Tony Rama; Jan 28th, 2022 at 19:03.
Tony Rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2022, 18:44   #30
Tony Rama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olaf Els View Post
All excellent advice for a long journey. I keep my locking wheel nut key in an orange bag in the centre console, so it's easily identified and can't be mislaid.

That's a rather posh looking key bag. Never seen on of them before. Are they widely available? My key is just rattling around in the centre console.