Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

8 speed auto or manual?

Views : 4616

Replies : 51

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 17th, 2014, 09:54   #11
Harvey1512
Premier Member

Don't forget the price difference. I would happily go Auto but the extra price is around £1,400. Add to that the extra emissions, bad for company car drivers, and it still makes manual the better financial choice by quite some way.
Old Jan 17th, 2014, 10:13   #12
Flux
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymcp View Post
Although not an XC60, I ordered my V60 in manual. Not because I necessarily wanted manual but because the difference between manual and auto on the V60 fuel economy numbers is significant. Yet the same engine/gearbox comparison on the XC60 shows virtually no difference. Strange....

You're correct on this and I hadn't realised until you brought it up. I wonder why there is a difference of some 7mpg on V60 vs 2 MPG on XC60 given that it will be the same gearbox and engine?

Hopefully someone will enlighten us on this.

Despite this though the V60 does on the face of it (real World accepted) post some pretty impressive figures but must admit the choice of manual vs geartronic might have been more of an issue if I was thinking of ordering one (have ordered XC60 R Design Lux Nav Geartronic FWD).

add - Harvey1512 does make a valid point only I fancy a change from manual and appreciate it will cost me more going geartronic - will save a bit on shoe leather though! - seems strange but I have already gone into 'geartronic mode' in anticipation of my new car as I keep on forgetting to change gears on my current manual car - the time is obviously right for me to change.......or maybe I'm in some way endeavouring to justify my impending purchase!!

Last edited by Flux; Jan 17th, 2014 at 10:36.
Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2014, 10:50   #13
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Hmm I would treat any mpg figures and try them out for real, in testing the auto can be told and configured to change up for emissions and mpg more easily don't forget.

Although from my point of view the s/v/xc 60 range suit automatic over manual.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2014, 11:19   #14
Stevepvolvo

I personally really enjoy the geartronic in todays traffic. I have had sporty manual cars in the past but for overall driving pleasure I think the geartronic provides the right balance for todays driving environment
If you are considering such options as active cruise control (which until I got on a used xc60 I had not really thought much about but would now never be without) then I believe that is available only on an auto (and makes sense to only have on an auto).
If you ever decide to tow then it is definitely an auto in my opinion.
With the option of an 8 speed auto (I am on the 6 speed) then that will be a an even better gearbox and you can always enjoy the manual control which I do use probably 5% of the time but is excellent when you do need to be in the right gear ready for that fast overtake and don't want to wait for the auto kick down lag (even though that is minimal!)
Steve
Stevepvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2014, 12:42   #15
Daleman
Master Member

Default Night and day

Get an Auto the difference is a revelation with an Manual in a luxury car. the Manual Gearbox is stone age in driving comparison .
Daleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2014, 13:02   #16
velocette

Just as a matter of interest my V60 D5 auto is currently delivering around 43 mpg, last fill up it was 44.27 (not that i am nerdy about these things). This engine with the auto box is as smooth as silk. If you need the power it is faultless in pick up and delivery. In this respect one of the best cars i have had, with the exception of a Rover SD1 with the V8. Manual - why would you?

Velocette
velocette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2014, 13:07   #17
MtillingVolvo
Sales Monkey @Volvo Npton

I have a customer who has just taken delivery of a D4 2WD (181BHP) with the new gearbox and is reporting early 50MPG to me... not bad considering its only done about 200 miles.... he does about 30,000 miles a year so will try and see how he is getting on in a few weeks.

Main Dealer Based in Northampton
mtilling@bellsmotorgroup.co.uk
MtillingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MtillingVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 17th, 2014, 17:00   #18
andymcp
Premier Member

That's impressive so early in a new engine. I'm a pretty steady driver so naturally tend towards the upper end of claimed mpg (40mpg on my current 2.2TD4 Freelander), but even still had marked down a realistic 50mpg for the auto D4. I do around 20-25,000 a year so if it's reporting that number just out the wrappers, maybe I need to rethink.... Dammit!
andymcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2014, 17:27   #19
AngloScot
Master Member

Smile

I have ordered the Geartronic on my new XC60. I have been driving auto in my Golf for the last 13 years. In fact all our family have Automatic in whatever car they have. Also I think in America somewhere in the region of 95% of all cars are automatic. Who in their right mind would want to change gear when the car does it for you.
AngloScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2014, 20:22   #20
ChrisL

Thanks for the replies everyone.

When I first booked the test drive an auto was manual, but it appears my work put me down for the wrong car grade and now it's been resolved I have a much wider choice of XC60s. Had considered sorting another test drive but as it's a new box and engine probably not very representative.

The replies all are positive, first impression on the XC (163bhp) has been positive this evening, but only done 10 miles, will get a better test over weekend.

Mpg not an issue for me as pay my fuel on a card and get cross charged personal miles at a fixed rate.

I am leaning more towards the auto at the moment, must just stop thinking the additional tax over the 4 years!
ChrisL is offline   Reply With Quote