Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

The Eagle has [almost] landed!

Views : 3922

Replies : 51

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 27th, 2014, 22:26   #11
Crockers
Premier Member

Snow forecast. ******************

Enjoy your new toy.
Old Mar 27th, 2014, 22:39   #12
Arianne
Premier Member

Have a super Friday Flux

Arianne
Old Mar 27th, 2014, 22:42   #13
spaceman2844

Nothing quite like that great feeling that you get when you drive off from the dealership in your new car!

Enjoy, and keep us updated. I think you will be the first on the forum to report on the new flappies with the geartronic box.
The Following User Says Thank You to spaceman2844 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 27th, 2014, 22:56   #14
bigbadbob
car nut

Bet you will be up at the crack of dawn, like a kid at Xmas, I couldn't sleep so was at the dealers for 8.
bigbadbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bigbadbob For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 27th, 2014, 23:11   #15
Flux
Premier Member

Thank for all of your comments and well-wishes.

Do have to wait till later in the afternoon as my contact at dealer states they will personally be doing 7 new handovers tomorrow! Think they want to get them all out before end of Q1 as they had a flurry of deliveries this week (and need to meet incentives targets).

Yes, the flappies spaceman. Had a little prod of them during our brief introduction yesterday although perhaps enought to contend with in the first few days, what with never having owned an auto. Bet though I will be tempted to have a little go on my way home just to see.....

I shall report on my initial thoughs later tomorrow.

Sleep tight.
Old Mar 28th, 2014, 07:25   #16
andymcp
Premier Member

Enjoy the day Flux, it's a battle between which is more fun - enjoying the smooth new auto or playing with the paddles. Probably best to take an extra 50 miles on the way home and do both

Mine: 2014 V60 D4 SE Lux Nav Geartronic
Mrs McP: 2013 V40 D2 R-Design Lux Nav
andymcp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to andymcp For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 28th, 2014, 17:53   #17
1fell

Default Enjoy

Flux: Looks like I was wrong thinking your expected delivery was the same as mine.
After two previous expected dates of delivery coming and going I've now been advised 'next week'. Never known this problem with Volvo before.

Looking forward to you telling us the wait was worth it!

On Order: XC60 D4 AWD R Des Lux Black Sapp Met (apparently MY14.5, but could be MY16 at this rate!)
1fell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1fell For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 28th, 2014, 19:39   #18
lac

Flux I am glad your day has finally arrived.

Ordered my D5 in January and I reckon it was on the same transporter as your car as my wife got a call from the dealer today saying the car had arrived. D5 obviously easy to churn out compared to the new engined variants.

Unfortunately I work abroad for 6 weeks at a time and I left home yesterday!!!!!!! She will be picking up the car now in the next few days and it will be May before I get home. It will be a long 6 weeks.
Old Mar 28th, 2014, 22:02   #19
watchboy

(mental image) Flux and his entire family hurtling around the countryside all screaming in unison like small children......

Seriously, I hope you have had the opportunity to have a play and look forward to your initial thoughts.

(further mental image) Flux is staring adoringly at his new XC60 trying to think of a justifiable reason that he can just nip out for another drive, for an extra 30 minutes drive, for an unrestrained drive without the wife and kids demanding he slow down.

Hope it is living up to the hype Flux

Paul
watchboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to watchboy For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 28th, 2014, 22:19   #20
Flux
Premier Member

Hello Guys,

Once again thanks for your kind words.

Well, arrived at dealer at 5.30 pm and couldn't see the car anywhere. Was quickly taken to the delivery bay and there it was in all its glory. Looked every bit as good as I had hoped for.

Didn't leave dealer till gone 7 as was given a comprehensive 'tour' of the controls. Set up bluetooth and tethering and was streaming some chill-out music from Spotify (bluetooth tethering via 4G) before I left the dealers. It really is a leap into the future and can only say to those who haven't yet, you will truly love the technology.

Drove home sedately and didn't really fiddle with anything. Felt solid and the elevated driving position is about the right height (not too high). My kids were hanging off the walls when I got home as it was way past their bedtime and my son was demanding to see the bo bo (he can't say Volvo yet!). I have promised them an early morning drive in pyjamas so we will be out at about 6.30am!!

Need some fuel for the early morning drive so what did I have to do.....Yes, went for another drive just to get some diesel!

Had a little play with some of the controls but was a little lost and think this needs to be done when stationary to begin with. The engine is quiet and powerful. Did have a few quick prods of the accelerator and was surprised by how responsive it was. Enough there for every occasion methinks.

Tried out the ACC on a B road whilst following a line of traffic. Had to really dare myself not to brake manually but rest assured it did all the right stuff without my input. Think this is a really neat piece of kit and can see myself using this feature a lot when I get to grips with it properly.

Geartronic is a dream. Not having owned one before I now don't know what has stopped me. Park the left foot on the foot rest and just drive. Effortless and reassuring. You can hardly make out the gear changes at all and before you know it you're in 8th.

Couldn't resist trying the flappies although wasn't sure how to put back into normal mode so ended up switching to sport mode and then back to normal. As has already been mentioned, not sure if you need them although I'm sure there will be times when they are useful. The sport mode will be the default option for most instance although there is something quite satisfying having a few different gear change choices.

The performance setting is to die for. Event the 7" screen changes colour.

When getting 'fuel', my wife sent me a text and managed to scroll through the function to have it played back. Very neat. One word of caution, if you have passengers and receive a text from someone who likes to use rude words, it will be played in all its glory out loud!!

All in all (and thus far), a truly magnificent car. I'm looking forward to exploring more and more, and, taking my kids out for a giddy ride tomorrow morning.

More to follow in due course.

Sleep tight.

Last edited by Flux; Mar 28th, 2014 at 22:22.
Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Flux For This Useful Post: