Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC Going Back To The Dealer AGAIN!

Views : 6063

Replies : 51

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 23rd, 2014, 16:54   #11
Mytholmroyd60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja59 View Post
In relation to the doors freezing shut does the door lock disengage and the seals become a problem? If so get some gummi pflege from einzett should sort it no problem.
Thanks for that, I've ordered some from ebay (£5.95 inc postage)
Mytholmroyd60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd, 2014, 18:55   #12
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

A cheap solution to the doors being frozen shut is to use a waxy furniture Polish, I use beeswax in a yellow tin. Seems to work for me, prior to using this I used to use a very thin smear of Vaseline, a trick we used in the Army where doors often froze in some of the places we served in
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 23rd, 2014, 19:07   #13
Harvey1512
Premier Member

This happened on my V60, not been cold enough for the XC60 yet but it sounds as though the problem is the same and it will happen again. Someone suggested using talcum powder on the seals and that seemed a half decent temporary measure.
Old Dec 23rd, 2014, 19:35   #14
paul3346

In the past, I have had this problem. I have found that a thin smear of the old wonder ointment - Vaseline, does the trick. Honestly, literally just a brief smear should suffice without any damage to the seals. I have been told that it is useful for other purposes too, especially in the bedroom department!!

Smear it liberally on the door handle and the kids can't open the door!!

Paul.....................
paul3346 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to paul3346 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 24th, 2014, 10:42   #15
MariusXC

I live in Scotland and it has been known to get a bit chilly up here and I too have had issues with doors freezing.

My Alfa GTV and MiTo both had issues with this as had my Audi A3, my Mondeo and my Focus. The only car I haven't had a problem with so far is my Volvo!

Anyway. To prevent such occurences I liberally spray a silicone spray onto a clean paint brush and brush around the door seals. I do this in November usually and have no issues with the doors freezing. I also spray onto the door mechanisms and locks and this also prevents them from freezing.

Cuore Sportivo!
MariusXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2014, 16:43   #16
Considered1
Premier Member

My tailgate was frozen on Christmas Day, had to manually yank it up.
Will be out with the waxing products tomorrow, many thanks..
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2014, 17:23   #17
Arianne
Premier Member

We had the dreaded frozen door scenario this morning - our son got into the car on the offside and then tried to exit on the nearside but couldn't get the door to budge. Not exactly encouraging in the event of an accident demanding a rapid exit?

Anyway, he slid across the rear bench to the offside door, got out, ran around the back and yanked the door open from the outside (with some force).

We then had the pleasure of a symphony of noises from the door as the temperature increased in the cabin and externally for the next 15mins of our journey. We presume this is the effect of the unfreezing process?

We did have this with our previous XC90 but not as badly.

I've just bought the £5.95 gummi pflege stuff from eBay - thanks for the advice, never heard of this product before.

Arianne

Last edited by Arianne; Dec 28th, 2014 at 17:32.
Arianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2014, 22:36   #18
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorc View Post
Doors Freezing Shut:
Again previously looked at by Volvo, every time the temperature drops and we get a frost the doors freeze shut (the back doors are particularly bad) and apparently (according to the lady on the phone) there is nothing that can be done to stop it happening!!
Well i fail to believe that any car (let alone a 40 grand one) should have it's doors freezing shut so I have insisted they sort it (new seals perhaps?) so will see what they say on the day!
With you on this 110%. It should not happen.

However I must say that I have experienced frozen (ish) shut doors on a wide variety of makes and models, so not exclusive to Volvo. Must also say that Volvo appear to freeze shut quicker and harder than other makes. The seals are a bit 'fabriccy' and tend to retain/absorb water and then freeze and sticking occurs.

To alleviate the problem I have used petroleum jelly/vaseline, which works 'reasonably' well, although needs frequent application

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2014, 08:51   #19
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
With you on this 110%. It should not happen.

However I must say that I have experienced frozen (ish) shut doors on a wide variety of makes and models, so not exclusive to Volvo. Must also say that Volvo appear to freeze shut quicker and harder than other makes. The seals are a bit 'fabriccy' and tend to retain/absorb water and then freeze and sticking occurs.

To alleviate the problem I have used petroleum jelly/vaseline, which works 'reasonably' well, although needs frequent application

Regards
I was going to avoid saying anything but obviously putting petroleum jelly/vaseline on rubber seals can cause some issues later in life because they are rubber.

Overall you are better using a silicone based product (gummi pflege is silicone based for clarification but it does a 2 in 1 job as it cleans them up well as well).
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ninja59 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 29th, 2014, 09:44   #20
Loskie

I've had a few cars and my V50 is by far the worst for the doors freezing shut. Often when trying to open it I do wonder if the seals will get damaged. Maybe in the UK with freezing temps the problem is also the moist air which may not be an issue in Scandinavian countries.
Loskie is offline   Reply With Quote