Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC Going Back To The Dealer AGAIN!

Views : 6060

Replies : 51

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 29th, 2014, 10:41   #21
sunshinetours

As above silcon spray has a number of uses, this being one!

My BMWs previously have all at some point suffered from occasional frozen door syndrome, so definitely not a Volvo issue alone
Old Dec 29th, 2014, 10:41   #22
brickman
Premier Member

The problem is the humidity in the UK, no car is totally resistant to it, just some have door seals that work better (the ones with the felt texture to them IME).

As soon as water gets between the seal and the door, boom, frozen shut.

There are loads of products that can relieve the problem, my favourite is silicon oil or silicon aerosol spray, as I already use it for other tasks. A cloth full of it on clean seals before the worst of winter = no issues for me on any car.
Old Dec 29th, 2014, 10:56   #23
taylorc

I have just popped out to the car to fetch my iPod (need to sync my Chrimbo pressies) and all four doors were solid!
Granted I have not used the car since Christmas Eve but the whole car looks (and feels) like a solid block of ice so I had to use considerable force to get one door open. I will be treating the seals with some kind of silicon but it's just so disappointing to think that you have to do this on any car (let alone a so called premium model).......

Previous MY13 XC60 D5 R-Design Lux Nav

Previous...Audi S3 DSG, Ford Focus ST3, Ford Focus ST170
taylorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2014, 11:20   #24
sunshinetours

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorc View Post
I have just popped out to the car to fetch my iPod (need to sync my Chrimbo pressies) and all four doors were solid!
Granted I have not used the car since Christmas Eve but the whole car looks (and feels) like a solid block of ice so I had to use considerable force to get one door open. I will be treating the seals with some kind of silicon but it's just so disappointing to think that you have to do this on any car (let alone a so called premium model).......
Why is it disappointing though? As said I have had a number of "premium" cars, all of which at some point have suffered with this issue over the years (especially if car left for a number of days over a cold snap) and we have posted the easy and cheap solution (silcon really is great stuff for this kind of thing and only occasional use needed) .
Old Dec 29th, 2014, 12:03   #25
Flux
Premier Member

We all seem to be suffering from the same here.

None of my doors would open yesterday. Got in through the boot though as this did actually open without any 'assistance' and managed to squirm my way to the driver seat so I could start up and hopefully let the thaw take effect.

Note to self - need to rid myself of the tyre around my waist (OK only a tempa size but if left unchecked...............) as I nearly blew a gasket scrabbling over the seats!

Have too placed an order for the gummi stuff to see if this solves the problem......and my dignity.
Old Dec 29th, 2014, 12:44   #26
Considered1
Premier Member

Other cars have frozen but not at just -1. Wouldn't surprise me if the reason it's not been flagged as a problem is that they all have remote engine start in Sweden.

Roaring trade in Gummi stuff
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2014, 15:13   #27
taylorc

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinetours View Post
Why is it disappointing though? As said I have had a number of "premium" cars, all of which at some point have suffered with this issue over the years (especially if car left for a number of days over a cold snap) and we have posted the easy and cheap solution (silcon really is great stuff for this kind of thing and only occasional use needed) .
It's dispointing because it shouldn't happen full stop, none of my previous cars have ever frozen like this (also as considerd1 says, especially not at -1!) so why should we accept that it just happens......clearly it's a design issue that Volvo should sort!!

Incidently as well, today I have found out first hand why (as so many on here will attest) the value of winter/ all season tyres should not be underestimated......my crappy Pirelli Scorpion 20 inchers just failed me on a slightly frosty corner (it's really not that bad in the Midlands at the mo)! The car absolutely refused to turn the corner so now I have a lovely kerbed alloy!

I'm starting to think that the XC60 is really on par with all the other pretend soft roaders when it comes to a "mild" winter!!! First the car freezes solid and now it refuses to turn corners even travelling at a low speed (and before anyone mentions my driving.......I've been driving 25 years and I know how to drive in the winter!).
It's really not my day lol

Previous MY13 XC60 D5 R-Design Lux Nav

Previous...Audi S3 DSG, Ford Focus ST3, Ford Focus ST170
taylorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2014, 15:40   #28
sunshinetours

OK hope your enjoyment of your car improves as its never nice when things don't go as you hope them to.

Having used winters for past 4 seasons on my last RWD car I can certainly attest to their hugely improved ability to stop and steer the car yes. Any car whether 4x4 / AWD or whatever will only be as good as the tyres it wears (and the driver of course) when it comes to stopping and going round corners.
Probably going to go the all season route this time though
Old Dec 29th, 2014, 15:53   #29
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorc View Post
It's dispointing because it shouldn't happen full stop, none of my previous cars have ever frozen like this (also as considerd1 says, especially not at -1!) so why should we accept that it just happens......clearly it's a design issue that Volvo should sort!!

Incidently as well, today I have found out first hand why (as so many on here will attest) the value of winter/ all season tyres should not be underestimated......my crappy Pirelli Scorpion 20 inchers just failed me on a slightly frosty corner (it's really not that bad in the Midlands at the mo)! The car absolutely refused to turn the corner so now I have a lovely kerbed alloy!

I'm starting to think that the XC60 is really on par with all the other pretend soft roaders when it comes to a "mild" winter!!! First the car freezes solid and now it refuses to turn corners even travelling at a low speed (and before anyone mentions my driving.......I've been driving 25 years and I know how to drive in the winter!).
It's really not my day lol
Ultimately though your XC60 is on bigger, wider tyres as well as being probably heavier than many of your previous cars so the end result is not overly surprising - AWD and 4WD is only useful for getting going it is useless for steering or braking.

Plus the Pirelli's in question got slated in winter conditions by Volvorocks last Winter.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ninja59 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 29th, 2014, 16:00   #30
Considered1
Premier Member

I have to say my 08 Audi A6 didnt even get to pull away from outside the house in the snow. Not sure how much tyre tread depth you have left, they were getting down as it was a lease car going back after the winter.

If you rely on your car for work and must go out at set times etc then winters would be essential. i'll be putting them on for next year as I currently have use of another car for the winter if need be but being self employed I make (and can change) my appointments..
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote