Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Michelin cross climate - game changer?

Views : 7046

Replies : 52

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 4th, 2015, 11:47   #1
Stringbag

Default Michelin cross climate - game changer?

At last! An all season that performs as well as a summer tyre. (Those 10m on the motorway are important to me!).
Anyone know when it is likely to hit our shores in the correct size?
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article...me-changer.htm
Might be ditching the winters soon! Hurray!
Stringbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2015, 13:52   #2
mike95

I contacted Michelin a few weeks back and this was their reply.

"Thank you for your enquiry about the Michelin Cross Climate tyres.

The next phase for 2016 will include Van, 4x4 & 18", we do not have any information on sizes or a release date yet, hopefully these will be out early next year."

So it looks like we will have to wait a while yet.

Hope this helps.

Mike
Old Nov 20th, 2015, 11:39   #3
TimS

Sadly, they seem to only be available in V rating for my V70. The OEM tyres are 225 50 R17 98W (conti sport Contact 3E), & Cross Climate appear to be 225 50 R17 V.

My car's never going to reach the 149MPH limit of V rating, however it looks as though it would invalidate insurance to fit V instead of W. Michelin's own site recommends their V rated tyres for my specific car (from its reg number), however I'd assume this recommendation wouldn't hold legal weight.

I appreciate that the rating's about more than speed (load factors etc.) but it's frustrating to have found what appears to be a very good all-season tyre that isn't available for my car.
TimS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2015, 11:59   #4
Lamp Swinger

Tim, it maybe worthwhile having a word with your insurance company, explain the situation and impress on them the safety aspects of you proposed tyres. They could put a note on your records to cover it?

David

2016 Kia Sorento KX-4 Auto. Now sold - MY14 XC60 SE Lux Nav D4 AWD Geartronic
Lamp Swinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2015, 12:04   #5
NigelDay
Premier Member

If the car is physically incapable of reaching that speed - and indeed some cars are 'electronically limited' at 130mph - which is also nearly twice the UK legal limit - the whole business of these 'over the top' rating labels does seem to be the stuff of 'regulations' rather than reality.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2015, 12:18   #6
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Frankly it'd matter not to me these days whether my tyres were limited to 90mph. The days when I used to have the odd squirt up to a billionty-six mph are long gone (and it wasn't even very fast then, tbh).

Yours, sedately etc
Bonefishblues is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bonefishblues For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 21st, 2015, 11:06   #7
TimS

Phoned my local Volvo dealer today. Service chap says Volvo has no policy on replacing with different speed ratings.

Then phoned my insurer (LV) & they said it's fine: I can replace the W with V tyres, and do not need to notify them. All they care about is the size being as spec. She asked if the new ones would be winter tyres, & I stated they are all-season. I didn't get in in writing, however the calls are recorded, and I was careful to ask the question twice and get a clear answer.

Whether the Cross Climates are actually obtainable at the moment is another matter! I don't relish stumping up for 4 tyres at once (I normally move the rears to the front & put new ones on the rear), but I want the from traction of the Cross Climates, & it's not advisable to leave less grippy ones on the back.
TimS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TimS For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 21st, 2015, 13:06   #8
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimS View Post
Phoned my local Volvo dealer today. Service chap says Volvo has no policy on replacing with different speed ratings.

Then phoned my insurer (LV) & they said it's fine: I can replace the W with V tyres, and do not need to notify them. All they care about is the size being as spec. She asked if the new ones would be winter tyres, & I stated they are all-season. I didn't get in in writing, however the calls are recorded, and I was careful to ask the question twice and get a clear answer.

Whether the Cross Climates are actually obtainable at the moment is another matter! I don't relish stumping up for 4 tyres at once (I normally move the rears to the front & put new ones on the rear), but I want the from traction of the Cross Climates, & it's not advisable to leave less grippy ones on the back.
I had my first snow drive in the new Nokian Weatherproof this morning. They seem very effective, certainly no less than previous 'true' winters tyres on my old V50 (Goodyear Ultragrip 7). Might be worth a look if the Michelins are unavailable.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NigelDay For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 21st, 2015, 18:19   #9
norco

I have put 2 cross climate on the rear of my other car and have primacy 3 on the front. I'll put cross climate on there when they wear out. Was tempted to stick em on the front for snow traction but common sense prevailed despite my local place being ok with it. Haven't noticed anything good or bad with the cross climate so far. Impressed with the primacy 3 on the front though very sure footed after some khumohs. Still waiting to snow test the Goodyear 4S on xc after 15 months.....
norco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2015, 21:52   #10
Stringbag

First proper review I've seen
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article...-Tyre-Test.htm
Stringbag is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stringbag For This Useful Post: