Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 New'v'Nearly New, Diseasel'v'Petrol

Views : 4823

Replies : 52

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 17th, 2016, 16:21   #11
NigelDay
Premier Member

Here is the document showing the torque bands for the various engines. I had this saved earlier. Not sure if it is still available on-line.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Volvo_XC60_Model_Year_2017_Technical_Specifications.pdf (233.0 KB, 15 views)
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NigelDay For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 17th, 2016, 17:12   #12
NOCTURNAL
Shiny and Black :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wassap View Post
Surely the 12k on the motability scheme isnt 'your' money anyway, isnt it the disability allowance that goes towards the car?

Im not sure on what the offers are on motability, but if you are out of work at the moment, id be inclined to err on the isde of caution and get something a little cheaper like a X-trail,Cx5 ETC.
The disability allowance is indeed 'my money' LOL it's not like a nice little 'bonus'... by that I mean if it is going towards the car that's approx £9k over 3 years plus the £3k upfront down-payment is where my £12 k comes from as its no different to me getting the weekly PIP , saving it up over 3 years then giving it to motability to pay for the cost of the use of the car for the previous 3 years/... along with my Down-payment. I accept I'm not putting the Whole amount down at once, but the total at the end of three years is the same, it's not like if you don't have a car you don't get the payment.. it's for helping you get about and keeping mobile.
I take your point ref not having a job but you can't take it with you...
I will take a look at the Cx5 as I haven't seen one but I've grown rather attached to the XC60.. I like the new xc90 too but they will be out of my range I'm sure..
NOCTURNAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2016, 18:04   #13
NOCTURNAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelDay View Post
Here is the document showing the torque bands for the various engines. I had this saved earlier. Not sure if it is still available on-line.
Thanks for that N & D.. can't find the thanks button on mobile ??

Edit..strange..it appeared after I had posted..

Last edited by NOCTURNAL; Jul 17th, 2016 at 18:05. Reason: Thanks button appeared. ..
Old Jul 17th, 2016, 20:25   #14
wassap

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOCTURNAL View Post
The disability allowance is indeed 'my money' LOL it's not like a nice little 'bonus'... by that I mean if it is going towards the car that's approx £9k over 3 years plus the £3k upfront down-payment is where my £12 k comes from as its no different to me getting the weekly PIP , saving it up over 3 years then giving it to motability to pay for the cost of the use of the car for the previous 3 years/... along with my Down-payment. I accept I'm not putting the Whole amount down at once, but the total at the end of three years is the same, it's not like if you don't have a car you don't get the payment.. it's for helping you get about and keeping mobile.
I take your point ref not having a job but you can't take it with you...
I will take a look at the Cx5 as I haven't seen one but I've grown rather attached to the XC60.. I like the new xc90 too but they will be out of my range I'm sure..
Oh i understand what its for, to keep you mobile and what not, but its money you will be spending on a vehicle no matter what, and if you are looking at SQ5 of a fancy X5, then surely you will be spending significantly more on one of those than a XC60??

I guess buying your own car means you have to cover servicing, tyres,maintenance and insurance, which on any posh SUV wont be cheap.

How about a Evoque or Disco Sport, any better deals on them on the scheme?
wassap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2016, 20:54   #15
NOCTURNAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by wassap View Post
Oh i understand what its for, to keep you mobile and what not, but its money you will be spending on a vehicle no matter what, and if you are looking at SQ5 of a fancy X5, then surely you will be spending significantly more on one of those than a XC60??

I guess buying your own car means you have to cover servicing, tyres,maintenance and insurance, which on any posh SUV wont be cheap.

How about a Evoque or Disco Sport, any better deals on them on the scheme?
Haha.. and therein lies the the big contentious question Nope, No Jaguar Landrover at all since a rule change a few years ago apparently ?
From what I've read there was a big Daily mail story and others about people on benefits getting multi thousand pound Range rovers and the like for 'free'.... neglecting to say that (at that time ) anything over the standard scheme price meant you could top up with your own cash as a down-payment (non refundable)..so I've read that the scheme had a change of heart due to the bad publicity and limited the cars to a base price of £25 k I think it is but effectively it depends on the deal the manufacturers give motability.. for people who are on disability long term I think its a great option but I could lose my entitlement at any time once I get operated on so although I'm told you can get some of your upfront payment back pro rata if you have to cancel the contract early due to losing your PIP benefit.

I think outright purchase of a nearly new car is where I'm at tbh now and I like the idea of the more powerful Petrol engine... Though the discounts arnt unsubstantial on purchasing new , Circa £8k off a £38.5k car is quite the tempter But its out of my range. and if I was going all out I'd want something with a little more poke.. Now I know the D5 has plenty for the real world but still :P
Old Jul 17th, 2016, 21:30   #16
NigelDay
Premier Member

Do you need AWD ? The D4 FWD is very close to the performance of a D5 AWD. There are other factors, so if 'wet grip' out of roundabouts or driving onto soft verges are issues, then AWD may suit you better, but FWD is fine for many of us.
Also, D4 FWD gives you the (arguably better) 8-speed geartronic.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2016, 07:44   #17
NOCTURNAL

Good Points Nigel... Appologies for the N&D before , I'd read your post on mobile and had read it as Night and Day.. strange how the brain plays tricks an "sees" what it wants to ...

Need AWD, Nope Not if I'm totally honest, though I like the idea of it including having the capability when required, my mileage will be low for the next 2 years or so for certain so whilst there's obviously far more to go wrong, but having driven rear wheel drive for the last 10 years I'm loathed to give up all the rear wheel drive :P i wanna keep some of it T6's seem fairly rare is that the case or just the way I had autotrader set-up? I'll have a look at Cx5's n'XC90's also but would like GNcL to expand a little on the better built comment or more importantly the bit about xc90 or 70,90 series being a better bet for long term ownership? I would be Happy with a V70/90 however getting in and out would put me back where I was

I missed your last post VolvoRocks, I take your point reference the pain , and that is exactly why I am considering either route... I can no longer cope with the way things are hence the change, I could have a much cheaper car on the scheme that wouldn't cost me the whole or a considerable amount less on the scheme, but it wouldn't have all of the same features and comfort factor. That said when including Insurance at say£300 a year that's another £1k off the total, tyres and maintenance soon eat into the difference too.
You are also right about the feelgood factor of purchase and the scheme is no doubt great for what it does.. it's opened my eyes as to whats out there too and re the cost of ownership I take that point too fully agree that long term it's a great benefit, BUT if my time on the scheme is short lived due to miraculous recovery (not happening, it's degenerative)or much quicker than expected surgery(again unlikely) or just plain being declassified for the PIP(who knows the t'internet is rife with horror stories, but my experience was very good so far), then it doesn't seem quite so great. I've agreed to go back to the dealer on Wednesday hopefully and told him I need some more options and he's suggested we can come to 'some' arrangement, so that route isn't dead, I just arn't sure its 'right' for me.

However buying a car is no issue, I'm a buy it once and keep it kinda guy like I said so after 10 years ownership of the V8 and similar length for the Ghia x Mondeo V6 before it. buying a car isn't an extravagant purchase. but I'd always said I'd never buy new due to the depreciation although in this case that's not relevant to me and there is a definite feelgood factor involved with jumping in a brand spanker, you could argue I'm getting the chance to try out the spec and receive a Brand new vehicle without the risk/depreciation, but that 'feeling' isn't all that when not quite getting what you would like on the scheme. i'm not complaining at that, its a privilege to get this opportunity(albeit it's very close to a lease arrangement available to all) and be in a position to take it up it just seems alien to be specking a car that isn't quite what you would like and going 2nd hand for exactly what you would like seems a better option including putting a smile on my face when I drive it (I'm assuming Close to 300 Horses will do that when I get it every day from the 260 in mine )

re milage I envisage very low something in the region of 7k max

so any T5 T6 info guys good'n'bad?

Last edited by NOCTURNAL; Jul 18th, 2016 at 07:59.
Old Jul 18th, 2016, 13:43   #18
NOCTURNAL

seem to have lost the ability to edit my posts ? so can't change the last one?? more discussions with the better half and we think almost definitely 2nd hand purchase rather than the scheme as there are just too many potential variables with my personal situation so nearly new I think it is .. are there many T6's about in the Xc60? Loving the look and idea of the new Xc90 but we can all dream
Old Jul 18th, 2016, 14:30   #19
BEJ

Have you actually driven the fwd geartronic xc 60 yet? The performance is a lot better than 'adequate', and if you don't actually need awd then I suggest you give it a try.
I too carry a scooter in the boot, sometimes a small one (Luggie) and at other times a large 8mph one that splits into 2 bits.
My arguement for going motability would be that all bills except fuel is included in the rental, so no worries about somethind big going 'bang'
You are allowed to terminate the contract early if your circumstances change, with a pro rata refund. - did it myself a couple of years ago.
The xc 60, including the up-front payment works out at about £73.00 per week, and you get a new car every 3 years.
Not having to worry about all the bills that come with owning your own car was the clincher for me.
Old Jul 18th, 2016, 23:28   #20
NOCTURNAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEJ View Post
Have you actually driven the fwd geartronic xc 60 yet? The performance is a lot better than 'adequate', and if you don't actually need awd then I suggest you give it a try.
I too carry a scooter in the boot, sometimes a small one (Luggie) and at other times a large 8mph one that splits into 2 bits.
My argument for going motability would be that all bills except fuel is included in the rental, so no worries about something big going 'bang'
You are allowed to terminate the contract early if your circumstances change, with a pro rata refund. - did it myself a couple of years ago.
The xc 60, including the up-front payment works out at about £73.00 per week, and you get a new car every 3 years.
Not having to worry about all the bills that come with owning your own car was the clincher for me.
No haven't tried the fwd D4 the choice of D5 awd if on the scheme and T5/T6 if buying older is largely down to a combination of coming from a 260 brake V8 and I just feel that the car 'should' be awd when it has the capability, giving the option in crap weather conditions as well as minimal off road, I do mean the odd track not 'off-road', as well as towing on the odd occasion .(again I do mean the odd trailer If I was caravan Lugging I'd go diseasel anyway). I'm hoping to find time to pop and see the stealer Wednesday so I'll see what his best deal is , but We are definitely leaning towards a purchase. I can see the attraction of the scheme but for for me I think purchase is the way to go.....

Tags
xc60 t5 t6 polestar