Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo winter wheel packages

Views : 4436

Replies : 51

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 14th, 2016, 15:23   #21
SuperV8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sman View Post
Nobody has mentioned the fuel economy aspect. I typically lose 2 mpg when I fit my winter wheels. I put this down to extra drag from the winter tyres.

My mileage is around 20k a year so it adds up. On my wife's car we have fitted goodyear vector 4 seaons but she only does about 6k a year.
My winter tyres actually return better (measured) MPG than my summers! normally 2 to 3 mpg for the better. Not a direct size replacement as winters are often narrower than summers - 225 17 Nokian winters and 235 18 Dunlop summers, and these summers have the lowest resistance rating in their class at C so others brands would be worse than 2 mpg.
My commute to work is 30 miles so this may offset the poorer mpg from colder starts?

Tom.
SuperV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2016, 16:56   #22
MikeIOW
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
Now I may have misread it because it's not very clear and I've had a few tins but I read that to mean the best winter tyre is the 100% benchmark and the Dunlop Summer tyre performed at 117.8% in the dry braking test (i.e. 17.8% improvement in stopping distance) ?? The results in all other tests favor the winter rubber or are too close to call.

Dry handling is close to call but I did used to notice the front end my my Passat used to get "vague" in warm weather with winters on.
Yes indeed - this was a winter tyre test, with a summer and all-season thrown in just to compare.
It is VERY difficult for any of us folks to really be scientific about this: roads vary, the rest of the car varies, it is really only the day you change them that you can properly try to compare....which is of course why these kind of tests are more scientific - all done in the same conditions on the same route on the same day (or few days).
Old Nov 6th, 2016, 18:22   #23
Ashford

Hi

So many tyres to choose from!

Are the Nokian Weatherproof tyres mentioned above these...

Nokian WeatherProof SUV 235/60 R18 107 V XL

Currently £123 at Oponeo

Thanks

Previously, as above but...MY2015 D4 181 R Design FWD, Geartronic, Savile Grey
Ashford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2016, 19:43   #24
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashford View Post
Hi

Currently £123 at Oponeo

Thanks
Well yes, except i just had the 17" versions fitted at Blackcircles. £114 each fully fitted (17" are slightly cheaper, but do check them for your size).
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2016, 19:58   #25
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Hi

Currently £123 at Oponeo

Thanks
Remember that the Nokian Weatherproof are All Season tyres not Winter Tyres
Old Nov 6th, 2016, 20:39   #26
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
Remember that the Nokian Weatherproof are All Season tyres not Winter Tyres
Very true. Of the three leading 'All Season' tyres (Nokian, Goodyear, Michelin), the Nokian has the best snow performance. In a recent test against true Winter Tyres it would have been placed second on snow performance. Of course, everything in life is a compromise, and a serious read of the many reviews is required to judge which compromise you are prepared to take in the equation {Summer + Winter} vs. All Season. I found the Nokians worked well in the snow last winter.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2016, 20:47   #27
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

But as you know Nigel a winter tyre is about a lot more than just snow
The Following User Says Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 6th, 2016, 21:03   #28
Considered1
Premier Member

Quote:
Hi

Currently £123 at Oponeo

Thanks
Yep thats exactly what I got this time last year, they were £116 each without fitting of course. They turned up in a few days and I got them fitted locally whilst I had a 4 whell alignment done. Been a great allrounder, fantastic in the wet, only had one day of snow but my Pirelli summers whent no-where in the slightest bit of slush so be warned folks!
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2016, 19:54   #29
janusz

Black circles have better deal! 128£ fitted!
Old Nov 7th, 2016, 20:02   #30
deepsix

I bought 4 x brand new Mantus wheels with 235/60 R18 107H XL Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow Tyres balanced and with centre caps for £850 delivered from a Volvo dealer a couple of years ago. (before I'd even bought the XC60)
I find the XC60 nicer to drive with these as they don't seem to 'tramline' as much as the standard tyres, it also protects the Ixion alloys from the ravages of winter.

I'm a Hornithologist, I love exotic birds.
deepsix is offline   Reply With Quote