Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Jolt, smoke, loss of power

Views : 521

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 29th, 2022, 17:03   #1
Crazy L

Default Jolt, smoke, loss of power

OK chaps. I'm here with another issue. So, I'm accelerating up the slipraod to join a dual carriageway. then, there's a big jolt, and a clunky noise. The car instantly loses power and I look in my rearview to see a shed ton of smoke. It was dusky by the way, so I don't know what colour it was.

So anyway, I can't seem to get anything above 50mph-ish, and putting my foot down only makes me a few few mph quicker after a period of time and a lot of smoke. I also have a message say "engine service something required".

I'm no mechanic, but my guess is turbo, and it is just that, a guess. I hope it's not. Plenty of people know more than I, so what do you guys reckon out there in french engined swedish car land?

Any advice greatly apprecated.
Old Dec 29th, 2022, 17:05   #2
Crazy L

All this after the year I've had. Someone's slashed my tyres twice, and the other month, they put a crowbar right in the middle of my bonnet, no doubt the same bumhole.
Old Dec 29th, 2022, 19:52   #3
Simmy
Premier Member

check for split hoses or split intercooler would be my first guess
Simmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2022, 14:50   #4
Crazy L

thanks Simmy.

I feel a bit of a berk actually, and I've come to confess.

Earlier in the day, I popped off the throttle body to check for sticking flap as everyone and their pet canine on here says the TB distorts and makes the flap stick, as you well know. Plus I'v had some starting issues lately, soooo, I did that and I think I've now alleviated that issue with the help of a swan morton scalpel.

So I do up the jubilee clip on the intake, the one everyone says to not do up too tight, so I didn't.

When I went back out after posting here, I popped the cover off and shone a torch. Lo and behold, the bloomin air intake had popped off the throttle body. Did jubilee clip another turn. So far so good.
Old Dec 30th, 2022, 15:00   #5
Simmy
Premier Member

the easy fixes are the best glad you found it.
Simmy is online now   Reply With Quote