Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What to check and do before a long haul...

Views : 2015

Replies : 47

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 1st, 2022, 23:07   #41
Wagon Sailor
Junior Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black dog View Post
Moral is I'd do that run in one without looking at it

Me, too - and until a fortnight ago I'd never owned a car built in a year beginning a '2'.

----------------------------------
Great spec; great build quality.
Wagon Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2022, 22:31   #42
Black dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagon Sailor View Post
Me, too - and until a fortnight ago I'd never owned a car built in a year beginning a '2'.
I have and still do own a few, but none were as bomb proof as that old p2
Old Feb 5th, 2022, 13:13   #43
Simmy
Premier Member

no need to check any thing other than standard weekly checks tires fuel oil washer fluid and off you go. dont over think it
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 8th, 2022, 16:15   #44
Turbodave
VOC Member

It's all relative.

As some have said, a 1500 mile trip of that style is probably less stress on the car than a months worth of journeys and given many just get in and go for weeks if not months at a time, you could simply get in and go and deal with whatever happens if and when it actually does happen.

Or...

You could go full military invasion spec and take tools, survival blankets, rebuild the car, put new tyres on, get the best breakdown cover, stick a snow shovel in, some food, maybe couple of flares and enough spares to build a complete new XC70 if yours throws the towel in somewhere then plan your route working out the most efficient times to travel and deploying hyper mileage tactics to get to XXX fuel station/

The reality is probably somewhere between the two but at what point of the sliding scale you're on, is really up to you and you're own abilities and the condition of the car, plus taking in to consideration the outside factors, like weather.... more so up here, in winter the A9 could easily be closed due to snow so if you're on budget summer tyres with 3mm, well good luck.

I'd check the tyre pressures, lights, levels and make sure I had a small handful of "bits" under the boot floor - oil top up, decent breaker bar and appropriate socket for the wheel nuts, spare bulb kit and I usually take some basic hand tools, tape, cable ties etc just in case I need to facilitate any emergency bodges... but then that stuff is in the car all the time regardless as it takes so little space up, its better the have it and not need it then need it and not have it.

As for doing it on one tank, absolutely terrible idea... why get towards Thurso and start having range anxiety, top up the tank before it gets towards the red / you start to head into the quieter areas so you've a bit of a safety net. Plus nobody cares about how many miles people achieve from a tank and if they do, they need out more.
Turbodave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Turbodave For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 10th, 2022, 06:20   #45
Tony Rama

I don't think anyone is saying you have to check anything. The reality is you would most likely be fine checking nothing. But if one did desire to check anything, one can choose from the comprehensive suggestions.

Also depends if the long journey is in the UK or abroad as to what one may choose to check or carry.
Old Feb 10th, 2022, 09:58   #46
JonnyA

have nothing much to add to the above, if you consider the car reliable and services regularly only need to check the basics - fluids and tyres...
but you never know what might come up ...
a couple of examples from a friends and family trip to the alps last month (1800miles return)..
Our XC70 - basic at home check on fluids and air (oil at just over half on dipstick) then on the jorney through France the oil level dash warning flagged several times ... checked at our destination and down to min. Topped up and no discernable drop on the return leg.
Sisters XC60 - dropped into her friendly garage for a fluids etc check the day before travel - all good except they discovered the alternator pulley bearing was failing (potential disaster if the aux belt failed as a result) - heroic effort to source the parts and fit that evening - no further issues.
Friends LR disco5 - dropped into his dealer for a check over and sort a couple of niggles - they found it needed 2 litres of oil ! (had been fine less than a week before after a long trip up country - he is fastidious) - failed oil seal, then swarf found - new engine req'd ... and panic whilst travelling partners rearrange to use their car - no prep or checks just load and go - no problems.

can be a bit luck of the draw...
ex - 1999 V40 2.0SE
ex - 1988 740 GL estate, before that a 340 GL
JonnyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2022, 14:09   #47
BigGreenThing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbodave View Post
It's all relative.

As some have said, a 1500 mile trip of that style is probably less stress on the car than a months worth of journeys and given many just get in and go for weeks if not months at a time, you could simply get in and go and deal with whatever happens if and when it actually does happen.

Or...

You could go full military invasion spec and take tools, survival blankets, rebuild the car, put new tyres on, get the best breakdown cover, stick a snow shovel in, some food, maybe couple of flares and enough spares to build a complete new XC70 if yours throws the towel in somewhere then plan your route working out the most efficient times to travel and deploying hyper mileage tactics to get to XXX fuel station/

The reality is probably somewhere between the two but at what point of the sliding scale you're on, is really up to you and you're own abilities and the condition of the car, plus taking in to consideration the outside factors, like weather.... more so up here, in winter the A9 could easily be closed due to snow so if you're on budget summer tyres with 3mm, well good luck.

I'd check the tyre pressures, lights, levels and make sure I had a small handful of "bits" under the boot floor - oil top up, decent breaker bar and appropriate socket for the wheel nuts, spare bulb kit and I usually take some basic hand tools, tape, cable ties etc just in case I need to facilitate any emergency bodges... but then that stuff is in the car all the time regardless as it takes so little space up, its better the have it and not need it then need it and not have it.

As for doing it on one tank, absolutely terrible idea... why get towards Thurso and start having range anxiety, top up the tank before it gets towards the red / you start to head into the quieter areas so you've a bit of a safety net. Plus nobody cares about how many miles people achieve from a tank and if they do, they need out more.
Along with Simmy's "Don't over think it" comment, this a brilliant response!! I guess I've a new(ish) car (to me) and not driven this distance for 15 years or so (in my Dad's old Volvo 760 GLE [V6]). I'm gonna full up at either Perth, Edinburgh or Inverness. I've standard kit I usually have (tool kit, water, tape, cable ties, bulbs, WD40, tyre inflator, stanley knife, fuses, oil, windscreen wash, blankety-blank cheque book and pen...all of which sit in a small box in an enormous boot) :-). I've a while before I go, so I imagine another few months of driving will help determine things a bit more.

It had a major service from Volvo on Monday, other than some surface rust underneath and some very minor weeping from a rear shock absorber (which they recommended not to replace as it's fine) - the technician said the car was in pretty good condition doe age. So.. Bottom line, the only way to trust somebody is to trust somebody (and the only way to trust something is to trust it!

Can't wait to get to Scotland now!!!
Old Feb 10th, 2022, 19:44   #48
Turbodave
VOC Member

Good shout and I know it's hard not to become a bit paranoid and obsessive before any long trips, more so if you've got the family in tow as it sort of falls on you if anything goes wrong and you're left thinking "Dammit, wish I'd done that before I left" as you're sat on a sodden B road miles from anywhere... but the reality is, the chances of that happening are low and if it did happen, it could happen in a neglected banger or a brand new car so really you can't plan for every eventuality, you can just take sensible precautions and then try and not let any car worries cloud what should be a good time with the family, but that's easier said than done!

I think if it's had a service and nothing of concern has been noted, then you're in a good position - granted that's not to say it won't snap the belt or seize a caliper en route but you could also go to the doctors before you go, get a clean sheet and still get unwell whilst you're away... that's just life and cars are no different. I'd look to get excited about the trip itself - where you're going, what you'll see and the like and not worry too much about the car. If it does go wrong, that's just one of those things and if you've got breakdown cover then yes it'll be a faff but not the end of the world.

Some great roads up here, loads of awesome places to visit depending on what it is you like to see and do. Fuel stations in abundance, granted beyond Wick they get a bit thinner on the ground / don't operate 24hrs so yes I'd be looking to fill up in Inverness / Wick then you're sorted for the more remote parts without any worries on that front. Route wise, there's a multitude of options again depending on what you want to do along the way or how long you have... but if it's a straight run to Thurso then basically M6 > M74 > A9 and keep going north but if you're on a tourist run, the options are endless - some cracking routes up through the borders from Carlisle, then up through the Cairngorms to avoid the A9 etc, but again depends on your plans.

Enjoy!

Last edited by Turbodave; Feb 10th, 2022 at 19:50.
Turbodave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Turbodave For This Useful Post: