Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Knocking after steering wobbling

Views : 325

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 14th, 2023, 20:28   #1
Emma2686

Question Knocking after steering wobbling

Hello 👋🏻 I have a 2017 auto XC60. Last week I was driving usual route to work along dual carriageway. 10 miles into journey steering wheel started wobbling and then a loud knocking started which got worse with acceleration. Drove it to my local garage and noise had stopped when I got there. Mechanic checked car and couldn’t find anything wrong. Weekend driving was fine and then yesterday exact same route and it happened again steering wheel wobbly then the knocking started and this time louder. Drove back to garage and of course noise stopped when mechanic got in for test drive. Car hasn’t made the noise today but the ride doesn’t feel smooth almost like bumpy rumbling really hard to explain.
Any ideas 💡
Emma2686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2023, 09:18   #2
b1mcp

Obviously it's a bit difficult without seeing/hearing/feeling the symptoms. But I'll take a guess that this is due to a failing Speed Sensor (there is one at each wheel).

If the problem was mechanical then it wouldn't go away. So very likely to be electrical issue. When a Speed Sensor begins to fail it can provide an erroneous signal to the cars systems. It fools the car into thinking that a wheel is spinning either faster or slower than the others. i.e. It thinks the car is skidding or losing traction. So it starts to use the Stability Control system and/or the ABS system to try and rectify it.

This can create knocking noises as power and/or brakes are applied and removed to the wheels.

In time it will get worse and eventually the car will work out that a sensor is bad and will set and store an error code, and provide a message on the dash which makes the diagnosis easy.

Before that, the way to diagnose if this is the case is to use a Diagnostic computer hooked up to the car while driving and look at the Live Data for the wheel sensors and try and spot if one of the signals looks a bit different to the others.