Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Is an MBC better than a remap?

Views : 2645

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 11th, 2007, 22:47   #1
carswaps

Default Is an MBC better than a remap?

I,ve got an mbc (armval) runing 14psi (1bar)
got 283 bhp and 407.7nm torque, i would love more but is Rica the way? or is other mods a better option?
can i turn up the boost any m ore without that loud bang going off?
would removing the cat be can idea?
any ideas/ help would be great
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vbpgimagej.jpg (64.6 KB, 19 views)
carswaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 23:40   #2
Ross9
Master Member

No, an MBC is not better than a remap.

An MBC will push the boost up, the ECU's map will alter fuelling and igntion timing to suit, but only in a reactive fashion to deal with the extra boost it doesnt expect to see, decent gains can still be had though.

A remap optimises everything to higher boost/better parts, it costs more because it's better.

Ross
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 08:41   #3
Mehboob

Im running 1,1 bar with my mbc, no probs at all. I also removed the cat, but at the same time, the middle box ( big square silencer ) was removed as it was rattling. It was replaced with a Powerflow freeflow silencer.

With this combination, the car boosted hard over 3000 rpm, and held boost. The car was absolutely awesome during boost. But I have an auto and under 3000rpm, the car was completely hopeless, it had no energy at all, making town driving very annoying. Added to that was the loud, very loud drone of the exhaust. In the end I put the cat back, its now quieter and drivable.

Theres a guy who has s70r running 1,4 bar boost ( mbc - has 18T ) without a cat and he is more than pleased with his car.

I did a 1500km journey running 1 bar boost with 3 passengers and luggage, used 11L/100km fuel ( 95 unleaded - coastal driving ) and the car ran without any glitches.

To answer your question, a remap is better than an mbc.
Mehboob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 11:10   #4
powernut
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carswaps View Post
I,ve got an mbc (armval) runing 14psi (1bar)
got 283 bhp and 407.7nm torque, i would love more but is Rica the way? or is other mods a better option?
can i turn up the boost any m ore without that loud bang going off?
would removing the cat be can idea?
any ideas/ help would be great
bloody hell what ur ur engine specs ?im runing a rica 304 at 1.2bar and dont think im getting those figtures/thats with a decat as well/
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 22:14   #5
carswaps

whats the best way to set the mbc? as it came set up as it is?
any help would be great?
carswaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 17:52   #6
stusT5
850 t5 and r owner

You will need a boost gauge i have a psi one from ebay 20 quid run the pipe throug the bulk head and attach to the vacume tree by your throtle, wind the mbc wayyyyyy open and adjust half a turn at a time going down the road. make sure the mbc is wound open before starting or you might not have an engine to play with for very long.
stusT5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2007, 21:12   #7
bigV

Sorry to bump this thread...

But how the hell do you guys run 13+ psi without hitting the fuel cut off thing?

I can make my MBC run 15psi, but at about 60mph full gas the car jolts and cuts the boost....

I can only run about 11psi with my MBC without any issues...... interestingly my car only boosts 6psi as standard though?
Old Nov 27th, 2007, 22:03   #8
irf

i think it varies from car to car. when i had an mbc/ebc i had it set to 15psi but would get fuel cut in cold weather in fifth gear on a light throttle. then you have lucky buggers like pedro i think where he boosts to something like 20psi and no problem. he obviously has supporting mods though.....i hope lol.
Old Nov 27th, 2007, 22:57   #9
Engineer
Rubbing son is racing....

If we are talking use it for work, drive it around the world etc, then IMHO not when compared to an MTE map

Cheers
Old Nov 27th, 2007, 23:10   #10
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigV View Post

...... interestingly my car only boosts 6psi as standard though?
thats probably where you should start.... if your boosting 4 psi less than stock AT stock set up then this is where your problem lies.....
regarding fuel cut out, the turbo will produce as much boost as the wastegate allows, however the knock sensors will detect when a problem is apparent and cut the fuel...the ecu is also able to detect a certain amount of "overboost" via the cooling effect on the MAF sensor, although other principles will also apply...
A Remap is clearly preferential to a MBC.....as it allows a higher amount of petrol fueling to compensate for the increased boost across the map....
FSE AFR meters......can be installed with a MBC but im not convinced its worth the aggro
cheers
jod

Last edited by Jod T5; Nov 27th, 2007 at 23:19.
Jod T5 is offline   Reply With Quote