Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Gases escaping at valves

Views : 1132

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 1st, 2015, 06:32   #1
Fixer2004

Cool Gases escaping at valves

Morning Everyone,
My appologies as I was not sure and still not sure how to explain this one but going to give it a go.
I have an S80 1.6TD 59PLATE

I mentioned some time ago about my DPF, Well I had the full thing replaced at a nice £1300.
once this was done I had like a new cat as the old one was clogged so bad it eventually started stalling the car.

Now.

I am smelling gas fummes in the car when stopping at lights etc, but not while it is driving. Investigation thinking it was my exhaust blowing found something I have not seen before.
I took the sound proof cover off the top of the car and while it was running noticed vapour coming from the glow plugs, two of them to be exact.
maybe I should say where the glow plugs are seated.
I sprayed some soapy water into this area and it spits back out, only at the two valves, the two out side valves are fine.

any ideas?
trying to avoid another huge cost ate the garage if its something I can sort my self, like a replacement seal etc.

any advice will be great.
Al.
Fixer2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2015, 06:43   #2
Fixer2004

Question more info

sorry should have mentioned I have no loss of power, car appears to be working fine.
just smells like exhaust fumes when its stationary and ticking over.

I did notice a bit of carbon round my turbo too, but thats for another investigation.

not having much luck with this car.

Plus nearly died off when the mechanic replacing my DPF told me its a peugeot engine:-s

Please any help would be appreciated.
Old Dec 1st, 2015, 09:37   #3
Model flyer
Master Member

Hi Glow plugs should definitely not leak . Is it the glow plug leaking or the thread where they screw into the cylinder head ? If the plug is leaking as can sometimes happen but is rare then you will need to replace the affected plugs . If its the threads leaking then they can tightened . Be careful when tightening as if they have been leaking for any time then carbon could have built up in the thread and cause the thread to jam. I would give the thread a good soaking with WD40 and allow it to soak in over night before trying to remove the plugs ,clean the thread an seating then replace. You should be able to find correct torque settings for them on line if worried about over tightening. Check that they are workingbefore tightening or ?replacing by connecting to either a battery ,a meter or plugging in a OBD2 scanner ,no good replacing duff plugs! It's a straight forward job provided they are not seized into the head..

Previous Volvos 740 GLE . V40 CD ,V70 2.4 SE LPT.V70 D5 P2. V70 D5 Se Lux P3. Current Jaguar XF Sportbrake but still like Volvos
Model flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Model flyer For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 1st, 2015, 13:36   #4
Fixer2004

Talking leaking

it appears to be where the whole thing meets the cylinder head/ engine, the column that the glow plug and injector are on meets the engine, seems to be spraying out at bottom, in a pulse fashion.

Im a maintenance engineer and had 25 years of motoring but have never came across this.

Im going to have a go at the weekend, I hope you right and only something needing tightened.
Cheers
Old Dec 1st, 2015, 18:43   #5
Model flyer
Master Member

[QUOTE=Fixer2004;2019848]it appears to be where the whole thing meets the cylinder head/ engine, the column that the glow plug and injector are on meets the engine, seems to be spraying out at bottom, in a pulse fashion.

Hi you say the column where it meets the head ? The glow plugs usually screw directly into the cylinder head ! Could it be an injector seal is failing ?

Previous Volvos 740 GLE . V40 CD ,V70 2.4 SE LPT.V70 D5 P2. V70 D5 Se Lux P3. Current Jaguar XF Sportbrake but still like Volvos
Model flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2015, 23:55   #6
Rooster
Speed freak

Got a picture of problem??
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2015, 05:58   #7
Fixer2004

Question picture

I do have one but not sure how to put on here

I dont understand the url.

but will keep tring to find out and put it on if I can
Old Dec 2nd, 2015, 06:03   #8
Fixer2004

Default attachments

Im hoping this works.
the red line shows where the spraying out/Blowing comes from.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0097.JPG (20.3 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0095.JPG (42.2 KB, 27 views)
Old Dec 2nd, 2015, 09:01   #9
Fakir

Those are the fuel injectors, not glow plugs. Combustion gasses escaping around them would indicate a problem with sealing copper washers near the tips of the injectors. You need to have the injectors removed and checked. However, I wonder what could cause such leak, especially on two cylinders at the same time.
Fakir is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fakir For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 2nd, 2015, 15:13   #10
Fixer2004

Default Having a go

Having a go this weekend to strip down to see what I can see.

Doing blind as I have no Hanes for this car, but should be straight forward😳Lol