Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

CAT removal

Views : 1761

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 09:32   #1
66Lover

Default CAT removal

Hi again,

I looked into this a few years ago but want to check again.

My exhaust is ropey and blowing worse each week from several places. Ideally I'd like to replace it with something a bit better flowing, see if we can realease a few extra bhp.
Simons and Jetex both seem popular 'Sports' systems.

However, my car being 1991 has a CAT. B230f. Many of these sports systems are for non cat earlier cars. A few years ago when i investigated it sounded like legislstion dictated that if a car was built before X month in 92 (or something or other) then the cat could be removed. Obviously i'd then get a boss welded onto the new exhaust for the 02 sensor.

Anybody know what the current regs say?

Thanks
66Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 11:32   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Lover View Post
Hi again,

I looked into this a few years ago but want to check again.

My exhaust is ropey and blowing worse each week from several places. Ideally I'd like to replace it with something a bit better flowing, see if we can realease a few extra bhp.
Simons and Jetex both seem popular 'Sports' systems.

However, my car being 1991 has a CAT. B230f. Many of these sports systems are for non cat earlier cars. A few years ago when i investigated it sounded like legislstion dictated that if a car was built before X month in 92 (or something or other) then the cat could be removed. Obviously i'd then get a boss welded onto the new exhaust for the 02 sensor.

Anybody know what the current regs say?

Thanks
From Aug 1st 1992 registration date is the date for catalytic converter MOT tests ..
Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 17:39   #3
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

If you get the right downpipe there's a socket for the sensor anyway.
The genuine Volvo one I fitted a few years ago had a blanking plug screwed in, as I was keeping the cat.
Clifford Pope is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clifford Pope For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 20:36   #4
66Lover

Thanks guys.
I need to check with my local friendly garage really. Partsforvolvos do a Jetex and apparently Brookhouse can get a Simon's. Not sure which is best.
66Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2021, 20:45   #5
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Reviving this useful old thread please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
From Aug 1st 1992 registration date is the date for catalytic converter MOT tests ..
Thank you for the reminder Clan. So I can just have a pipe and sensor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford Pope View Post
If you get the right downpipe there's a socket for the sensor anyway.
The genuine Volvo one I fitted a few years ago had a blanking plug screwed in, as I was keeping the cat.
Thank you. We shall have to see whether my existing down pipe has to be replaced or not. I'll have a further look at the situation after a night of hopefully restorative sleep.

Can one buy a pipe with a boss fitted? A straight pipe with a boss, to fit instead of the cat. I seem to remember that one could do that.

If I have to get a boss welded on, is it a standard boss for sensors on any car, or?

And as I probably need a sensor. Where can I get a good one, obviously I will check with a dealer first.

I must look to see if I need any wiring.

Someone has stolen my catalytic convertor. Cut off each side of the cat.

Stephen

—Bertrand Russell

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Jun 9th, 2021 at 20:53.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2021, 11:17   #6
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

I've had a look and it is, promising. A little bit promising.

There is a hexagonal head about four to six inches forward of the forward CUT. Time to start applying Plus Gas I think.

It looks online as if the sensor, Oxygen Sensor?, comes with a connector and a length of wiring.

I think I need the three wire version for my January 1992 car?

Is there any experience in the forum between Volvo Branded sensors and reputable other brands please?

EDIT
Feeling just a little calmer
BUT.
I hear there have been social media warnings of convertor thefts in the area,
AND a neighbour couple actually saw it happen to my car!
They did NOTHING!!!

Nuf said ...

Stephen

—Bertrand Russell

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Jun 10th, 2021 at 11:21.
Old Jun 10th, 2021, 11:55   #7
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

okies

my garage, not 240 experts but they have their virtues.

Say without the catalytic convertor I don't need a sensor.

They might be, mistaken?

So if they fit a length of pipe and discover it needs a sensor, I guess that can be fitted and while a sensor is obtained perhaps the car will be back on the road?

Stephen

—Bertrand Russell
Old Jun 10th, 2021, 12:30   #8
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

I'd have thought you'd need a sensor in order to ensure that the computer got the right input? With no sensor but with a system designed to run optimally with a sensor, it would be like permanently being in limp-home mode?

The catalyst has no actual connection with the sensor - it's just a convenient bit of pipe to hold the boss. Some models have the sensor in the downpipe just upstream, some I think have the sensor near or even in the exhaust manifold.
Whatever the catalyst does to the exhaust the sensor is always up stream so it can't know about that, so the decisions on whether to remove either the catalyst or the sensor are surely entirely separate. Removing the cat is a purely mechanical one - how do you connect up pipes to bridge the gap - but removing the sensor would need more fundamental tweaking of the control system, seemingly pointless anyway.

Just my thoughts - I've no real knowledge.
Clifford Pope is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2021, 13:02   #9
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
okies

my garage, not 240 experts but they have their virtues.

Say without the catalytic convertor I don't need a sensor.

The trouble with garages these days is they are really just fitters and have little idea about how the cars control systems works. Without the lambda sensor the engine will run on its base map and make no mixture corrections. The improved consumption from LH2.4 over K jet or carb comes from the lambda correction.

To get the best out of what you have you will need a lambda sensor. I prefer to keep to Bosch but some of the cheaper ones work. Do not waste your effort with a universal sensor.
The correct Bosch https://www.classicswede.co.uk/Lambd..._14206088.aspx

or if you want cheap and cheerful https://www.classicswede.co.uk/Lambd..._20715522.aspx
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2021, 11:59   #10
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Hello.

I suspect I will end up getting the pipework done, and then fitting a sensor to the down pipe myself. I am applying PlusGas to the blanking plug daily.

There appear to be two Bosch items available and no indication as to engine type or year &c variations. One type has vehicle specific plugs to fit so that looks favourite. Can anyone advise, including part number(s) please?

Where is the sensor connected, where will I find the connections please?

If the car is driven with a pipe instead of a catalytic convertor EDIT: but without a sensor temporarily, will the car be simply less efficient, or worse, please? Any specific advice or experience please?

Thank you all
Stephen

—Bertrand Russell

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Jun 14th, 2021 at 13:13.