Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cooling system problem

Views : 406

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 1st, 2019, 20:27   #1
dtm

Default Cooling system problem

Hello all,

I have a problem! It seems my cooling system is no recirculating the liquid.

Last Friday (2019-09-27) the radiator in my 2000 T4 broke.

I replaced the radiator last Monday (2019-09-30) and today proceeded to go about my business, only to find out the car was over heating.

When I replaced the radiator I thought I had removed all the air in the system, and apparently I did. It was overheating and it was not being able to cool down.

After a few minutes I realised the car was not sending hot air through the vents.

I tcheked to see if there was a blockage inside the heater core but no, there was none.

Just in case, I bypassed the heater core , and there was no change, the car is still overheating and not able to get the temperature down. It starts climbing and I eventually have the turn the engine off.

After this a proceeded to testing the thermostat, and it opens, but just in case I removed it.

Has expected, the car took longer to get up to temperature, and after the fan kicked in, the temperature kept raising, although it was hovering at around 101ºc longer then before, but it might have been ambient temperature related.

I tcheked for air and I pretty sure there is none.

The lower radiator hose is cold witch could make sense if the cooling circuit is from the upper radiator hose to the lower one, although with temperatures above 100ºc I would assume the hose would be hot, although less hot then the upper one.

Do any of you have any ideas??
I'm puzzled and don´t now what else to do.
It is has if the circuit is not circulating.

Help please
dtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2019, 20:09   #2
emtor

Try massaging the coolant hoses. -Do they get warm?
emtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2019, 23:03   #3
dtm

Tried it already. the top one gets very hot, the bottom one does not.

I have tried flip the radiator upside down, but the result was the same, no coolant circulation.

The water pump flows normally (I would assume) because when I rev the engine there is a surge of coolant escaping from the expansion tank.

I since have also tried an old radiator from a V70, and with that one there was circulation, so I am deeming the radiator faulty.

I'm calling the parts store tomorrow and asking for a replacement radiator.

Will post an update after installing it.

Cheers,
Old Oct 3rd, 2019, 11:07   #4
gatos
Premier Member

From the sounds of it. it seems that the radiator may have a faut. Have you tried removing it and using a hose to pump water in one end and see how fast or how easy it comes out the other way?

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2019, 16:19   #5
magnuz
Ancient

Some car owners in warm countries don't always use strong enough anti freeze/ coolant, or renew it often enough, resulting in a build up of corrosion & blockage ?
As well as flushing or renewing the radiator, flush the whole system through !
magnuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2019, 07:11   #6
dtm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatos View Post
From the sounds of it. it seems that the radiator may have a faut. Have you tried removing it and using a hose to pump water in one end and see how fast or how easy it comes out the other way?
I did, and it did come out the other end but considerably slower then it got into the top. After all the water ran out from the bottom hose, if I where to flip it upside down more water would run out from the top.
It did if fact appear to have some sort of blockage.

Should be picking up a replacement radiator today or tomorrow.
The Following User Says Thank You to dtm For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 4th, 2019, 07:12   #7
dtm

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuz View Post
Some car owners in warm countries don't always use strong enough anti freeze/ coolant, or renew it often enough, resulting in a build up of corrosion & blockage ?
As well as flushing or renewing the radiator, flush the whole system through !
The system has been flushed.
The Following User Says Thank You to dtm For This Useful Post: