Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Spring compressors

Views : 919

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 7th, 2019, 19:29   #11
daniel mossey

I used the above 65 pound ones and where very well made.
Dan
daniel mossey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to daniel mossey For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 9th, 2019, 23:19   #12
Martin Cox
VOC Member

So here's what happened.

I bought new springs, shock absorbers, spring seats, bump stops and gaiters and a set of the Laser twin hook spring compressors as suggested by AndyV7o.

The old struts came to pieces without any difficulty; even the dreaded cross headed nut came off with ease. The spring compressors worked a treat without any hint of slippage. it was all a bit of a non-event really.

Assembling the new struts was a different matter. Compressing the new springs as far as I dared, I still needed to compress them by another 25 mm or so in order to to get the spring seat on. By then, turning the screws was getting distinctly hard work. With Rudi Dudi's words in mind, I decided enough was enough, chickened out and took the bits around to a local Volvo independent garage and asked them to build up the struts for me.

I collected them an hour later and they charged me £30 for doing them both. Money well spent! Many thanks to Voltech in Hull.

In fairness I believe the springs for V70 Tdi are rather heavier duty and I'd probably have managed fine otherwise.

However I'm glad I had a go myself as it was a useful learning exercise.

The condition of the old components was interesting. Although rather rusty looking, the old springs didn't actually look too bad. The shock absorbers still operated smoothy with a significant amount of resistance and indeed when operating them by hand they didn't feel much different to the new ones. However they were very rusty and I wouldn't have been happy reusing them. The upper spring seats were completely shot but the top bearings were absolutely fine so were reused.

It all went back together fairly easily with the result that all the creaking and groaning has now gone and the car actually goes round corners like it used to. Ideally it could do with a wheel alignment which I shall get done shortly.

Spring seats are genuine Volvo, Springs are Lesjofors and the dampers are Sachs. (it was a toss-up between them and Bilstein B4s) The original dampers were Boge.

Many thanks to all who offered advice.

Martin
Martin Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Martin Cox For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 10th, 2019, 08:48   #13
Cookeh
Premier Member

You made the right choice with Sachs, I bought the Bilsteins and they have rubbish small bump compliance and are stiffer than the Sachs are to boot.

You also made the right choice regarding compressors. It is absolutely ridiculous that people created this farsical image that compressors will explode and launch a rod into your face at eleventy billion miles an hour on every second use. They are, as you say, a non event if used with even a shred of common sense.

Regarding the compression distance, generally you need to be clamping 1-2 coils in from the top spring, and that should give you enough compression. A fairly hefty extension can help, too.
Old Oct 10th, 2019, 16:57   #14
sv70

Does that mean that the Sachs are a closer to original ride,rather than Bilstein B4's,ie wil the Bilsteins be harsh going over speed humps,but handle better for spirited driving,i'm only interested as i was considering the bilsteins when mine pack up,it would be interesting to know opinions of both shock users.
sv70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2019, 17:09   #15
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Cox View Post
Assembling the new struts was a different matter. Compressing the new springs as far as I dared, I still needed to compress them by another 25 mm or so in order to to get the spring seat on.
A common problem which is explained along with the solution in my video here using Laser spring compressors which were £30 from Halfords and have seen 5 years of faultless service.

Beware the spring compressor merchants of doom.
Mechanical sympathy and common sense make changing springs no big deal to the vast majority of people.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 10th, 2019, 17:21   #16
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv70 View Post
Does that mean that the Sachs are a closer to original ride,rather than Bilstein B4's,ie wil the Bilsteins be harsh going over speed humps,but handle better for spirited driving,i'm only interested as i was considering the bilsteins when mine pack up,it would be interesting to know opinions of both shock users.
I put Bilstein B4's on my V40 at 90,000mls as the original front shocks had started to leak. I chose B4's as they are supposed to be original equivalent spec.

Instantly the car drove in a straight line and felt it was on rails going round corners, but the ride was noticeably much stiffer. A bit disappointed as that was not what I wanted, but thought it will all settle down in time. 60,000mls later and the ride is just the same. If and when it comes time to change them it will not be Bilsteins
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 10th, 2019, 23:02   #17
Cookeh
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv70 View Post
Bilsteins handle very well indeed, but the ride is harder. Sachs were OEM on most petrol 850s to my knowledge.
Old Oct 10th, 2019, 23:06   #18
Martin Cox
VOC Member

I thought I'd done a fair amount of research but unfortunately I didn't see Cheshired5's video until after the event.

I think the job would have been easier if the threads of the compressors had been longer but otherwise I was happy with the Laser Compressors and was probably being overly cautious.

My initial impression of the Sachs dampers is that the ride is very similar to how the car used to be when I first owned it. I'll comment further when I've driven a few more miles and the wheel alignment is sorted out.

However whilst out for the test drive a rather ominous noise started that was related to the rotational speed of the wheels and it was getting worse so I cut short the drive and came home. You always wonder what you've done wrong when this sort of thing happens.

The cause was totally unrelated to the work I'd done. The clip securing the right hand handbrake cable to the body near the delta link bush had fractured allowing the handbrake cable to flap freely. Of course it flapped against the side of the tyre which wore through the outer plastic covering of the cable.

New handbrake cables are on order...

Martin
Martin Cox is offline   Reply With Quote