Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

headlights wont adjust

Views : 1858

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 14th, 2019, 19:36   #1
jack taylor
Master Member

Default headlights wont adjust

Hi, I have a 1998 V70 and fitted two new halogen h/lights earlier this year. not "volvo" but a good make. The adjusting rod keeps coming out of the socket when I try to adjust up/down. I keep refitting the rod/socket but cant get h/lights to move up or down. I suspect the reflectors are too stiff or stuck and simply wont move. Does anyone know whether the reflectors can be lubricated or adjusted in some way so as to be able to move them prior to re-fitting the rods/sockets. Many thanks jack
jack taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2019, 00:21   #2
Stumo

The up/ down is achieved by a ball on the end of the adjuster shaft ‘locking ‘ into the headlight receiver. Is the ball locating correctly? It has to clip in and slide up the plastic holder on the back of the reflector. It is easy to see on a bench out of the car with all the bulb access caps removed.
The pivot point on the originals on the top of the reflector was a piece of hose pushed on to spigots, not sure how the replacements do it though.
On my originals, I lost the up and down as the spigot on the reflector had snapped off.
Old Oct 15th, 2019, 08:40   #3
Luxobarge
Premier Member

As above - if it were me I'd be taking the unit out (very simple, 3 x bolts) and taking it apart to see what's happening on the bench. The lenses come off really easily too, so you can properly get at the reflector and adjust/lubricate/repair as necessary.
Old Oct 15th, 2019, 18:36   #4
jack taylor
Master Member

Hi Guys, thanks you both for the info and advice. I propose to remove the lenses but will I need a new gasket or should the original seal again ok. thanks jack.
Old Oct 15th, 2019, 20:06   #5
Stumo

Re-use original - it’s sandwiched in place. It will probably stick to glass for the majority, just slowly ease it out of the channel in the plastic housing.
The up down adjusters either manual or auto are a bayonet fit ( turn to release) don’t pull on it to remove it, the adjuster shaft has that ball on the end that will require a bit of a jiggle to disconnect. When you get the headlight out and covers off - it’s all pretty self explanatory.
Old Oct 15th, 2019, 20:33   #6
jack taylor
Master Member

Hi Stumo, many thanks for the info.I haven't had time to remove the h/lights or lenses yet but a look into the back of the lights shows the rods are connected into the sockets. The levelling switch lights up when moved but the h/lights don't move up or down. Fuses are fine and all wiring seems intact. Could there be a problem between the hexagonal adjusters and the adjusting rod. I cant see how the two are connected. I assume that even if the levelling motor isn't working it would not stop the h/lights being adjusted with the hexagonal screws. Thanks jack.
Old Oct 16th, 2019, 03:22   #7
Stumo

With the car on - but not started- you should hear the levelling motors whirring away for 5 odd seconds each time you go fully up or fully down. If you can’t hear them, the fault is probably electrical. But if your adjusting with the manual knob and things aren’t moving as well, I would think it’s a broken worm gear or both shafts have come loose. Odd both would fail...
You can fit either manual or motorised levelling modules, so might be trip to the wreckers.
Do the listen test, if motors running then carry on and remove the headlight to check internals. If no motors are heard then start with the circuit diagram in your Haynes book - most wiring diagrams on line have been taken down by Volvo recently.
You can always just pull the headlights out and have a look for fun’s sake too, as Luxobarge says ,its pop off the corner lights then just two plugs and three bolts. 10 mins a side
Old Oct 16th, 2019, 08:52   #8
volvo again
Master Member

Probably doesn't apply to Jack, different MOT rules?, but be wary of replacing electric levelling system with manual adjusters...mine failed the test because if electric fitted as standard it has to work.
Not sure if removing the switch will be okay...I found out the hard way after replacing both headlights that came with manual adjusters fitted...good job I kept the old motors...
volvo again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2019, 13:33   #9
turboboy
Master Member

Default Electric Headlight Adjusters

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo again View Post
Probably doesn't apply to Jack, different MOT rules?, but be wary of replacing electric levelling system with manual adjusters...mine failed the test because if electric fitted as standard it has to work.
Not sure if removing the switch will be okay...I found out the hard way after replacing both headlights that came with manual adjusters fitted...good job I kept the old motors...
I presume you are talking about the the load adjuster switch on the dash, not about about a self-levelling system for HID lamps?

I was lucky then! Our VW Golf needed a replacement driver's side headlamp glass as a stone hit it a couple of weeks before the MOT was due. Ruled out replacing the glass as it was simpler to replace the whole unit (to remove headlamp first remove front bumper!!!!!) and only cost slightly more in the long run.

The replacement unit (good quality OEM) came with a fixed fitting that could be left in if you had non-electric system, or alternatively adjuster twisted out and was replaced by old adjuster motor. Problem was the ball socket on the replacement lamp was bigger than the original so had to leave that side as non-electric.

My MOT tester is very strict but fair (they are MOT only so not looking for repair work for themselves) but I was concerned about headlight alignment. Very relieved to get a pass without comment on it.

Current: 1998 Volvo V70 2.3 T5 Auto.

Previous: 2000 Volvo V40 T4; 1981/2 265 (x2); 1988 740 Turbo Estate.
turboboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2019, 16:16   #10
jack taylor
Master Member

Hi Guys, As always many thanks for advise. The ITV [ MOT ] here does require that the levelling system is working and from what you say there might be a fault with the motors although unusual for both to be up the creak. light comes on the top of the levelling switch when it is moved so power to that. Shall carry out the test you suggest re the motors. The headlights are standard and carry H7 bulbs usually but a friend fitted an HID kit. This shouldn't affect the movement of the reflectors though. The h/lights are made by a of Germany company whose name escapes me at the moment but I researched them and got very good feedback.
In hindsight I should have spent a bit more money and purchased the mark 2 h/lights with the clear lenses. Again cant think what they are called. Getting too many senior moments; must be the sun !!!!!!!
Thanks again for all your help. jack