Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Key fob battery replacement - weird problem

Views : 3489

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 14th, 2019, 19:58   #1
Sphinx2000

Default Key fob battery replacement - weird problem

Hi.

I have keyless entry for my car. Over time I noticed that the key fob doesnt always get recognised by the car, but does if I take it out of my pocket.

Thinking the battery was maybe low on the key fob, I went out a bought a new cr2032 battery. Checked the new unbranded battery with a multi meter and showed 3.17v. Great.

Checked the old one and it shows 2. 78v.

Since I had the fob apart, I replaced it anyway.

Tried the fob, and it does not work. Hmmm.

Put the old battery in - fob works ok.

Thinking it was issue with maybe a cheap generic brand, I bought a new Sony cr2032 battery and tried that - same issue.

Fob works ok with the old battery (Panasonic) but not with 2 new batteries.

Anyone else has this issue?

Thanks
Old Oct 15th, 2019, 13:37   #2
Begonia

In view of the new batteries showing a good charge, your problem seems to be one of poor contact.

It would be patronising to ask if you've checked the battery terminals are the right way round so I won't mention this. :-)

See if you can very gently improve on the contacts inside the fob by manually adjusting them very carefully. Then pop in a new battery.

It should definitely work now. That is, unless your key fob is cursed or maybe haunted. ;-)

Last edited by Begonia; Oct 15th, 2019 at 13:42.
Begonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2019, 13:39   #3
Sphinx2000

Just to update i have managed to solve the problem.

I purchased a Panasonic cr2032, which is the same brand as the original one and I put it in and it worked first time.

Interesting, as I have never come across this before.

At least it works.
Old Nov 2nd, 2019, 14:11   #4
Boatie
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphinx2000 View Post
Just to update i have managed to solve the problem.

I purchased a Panasonic cr2032, which is the same brand as the original one and I put it in and it worked first time.

Interesting, as I have never come across this before.

At least it works.
Changed mine to a Kodak cr 2032 about an hour ago and before I saw this thread. Works fine. Did manage to open the tailgate without knowing it and left it that way for about an hour. Opening the case was a right faff. The instructions in my hardcopy handbook were not quite right.
Boatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2019, 15:54   #5
gaby
Premier Member

A CR3032 measuring 2.78V is considered (as good as) being flat.
A lot of devices designed to operate on 3V don't work reliably (or not at all) on 2.78V.
Old Nov 14th, 2019, 15:16   #6
window
Window

Unhappy Car Key fob battery

I purchased my XC60 in July 2017. Of the 2 car key fobs the first one stopped working after approx 12 months. It was not used much as it was on my wifes' key ring. It went to the dealer and came back working. I don't know if it was just a battery replacement. No charge.
My fob has been misbehaving over the last 2 months. It would work after repressing all the buttons and waiting for a response. I took it to the dealer and they said it was probably a run down battery. They replaced it but charged me £6.01! Seems to bee working OK now.
Previously I have had an LR Evoque and a Honda CRV and never had to change a battery.
Has anybody any ideal how long a fob battery should last? The XC60 has a fob operated tailgate.
Old Nov 14th, 2019, 15:50   #7
gaby
Premier Member

Did your previous cars have keyless entry?
Old Nov 15th, 2019, 18:32   #8
bobby2000
VOC Member

I changed my fob battery yesterday, not the easiest to replace, original lasted just over 2 years.
Old Nov 16th, 2019, 18:11   #9
Quacker
Premier Member

Measured the voltage on the battery in my keyfob, which has not been cooperative over the last few days, despite being only fitted a month ago. Voltage was 3.19V. Tested a new one from the same batch and it is 3.5V.

Perhaps my ebay sourced batteries are substanard. The new one locked the car from 15 metres away, so all good for another while.