Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Moving on to later model C70 - advice ?

Views : 865

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 9th, 2015, 13:48   #1
andytc

Default Moving on to later model C70 - advice ?

Currently own a 2005 C70 soft top , thinking of moving on to the later models hard top convertable , looking for general advice. Spoke to a guy the other day who said the hard tops have problems with leaks on the joins in the roof ? Anyone have problems with that ?

Engine wise T5 is best ?

Budget will be upto about 9 grand. Looking for black or silver , dark interior , must be auto.

Any , all advice welcome.
andytc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2015, 00:35   #2
Proghound
Volvo and Audi owner

Go for it, you won't regret it. I haven't heard of any roof leaks that I can recall in most of 3 years on here. Maybe your man was thinking of the VW Eos?

The T5 will do the best job of moving the scenery even when encumbered with the auto box (AW 5-speed), but the D5 is also fairly interesting, equally robust and something like 30% more economical, without having the liability of the wet DPF system of the underpowered 2.0D. However it's torque-limited in the auto to 350Nm down from 400Nm, to pander to the weaknesses of the 'box.

By their nature these are heavy cars in all engine variants, which are prone to wearing out suspension components, and are also sensitive to any misalignment. The 18" alloys are more fragile and more intrusive on the overall soft ride, 17" is a good compromise. Either way you'll want front tyres every 15k or so, and quite possibly sooner. Early examples can suffer with duff wheel bearings, ABS modules and ignition switches, but these were redesigned by about 2008. Aircon condensers continue to be a weakness though.

Try and get at least an SE spec, which should come with the wind deflector, and will have a decent sound system. You get 3.5mm AUX and MP3/WMA CD capability from 2008 I think. Bi-Xenon lights and a space-saver spare are also options worth looking out for.

Your budget might get a high-mileage facelift model from 2010 onward but IMHO a better bet would be the original (and to my mind, better looking) model with reasonable mileage from 2008/2009. You pays your money and takes your choice!

Good luck in your search and let us know what you end up with.

Current: 2012 C70 D3 SE Lux Solstice Geartronic, Caspian Blue.
Also: 2002 Audi A2 TDI SE, Crystal Blue
Previous: 2008 C70 D5 SE manual, Flint Grey.

Last edited by Proghound; Sep 10th, 2015 at 00:41.
Proghound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2015, 07:52   #3
Adman

Default C70 Mk2

Hi I had a Mk1 C70 & in February this year changed for a 2008 Mk2.

What a total difference between the two models, the overall drive is superb no issues with roof leaks whatsoever. The turning circle is vastly improved a real bonus. My came with 16 inch wheels & my Volvo mechanic recommends either 16 or 17 inch but not 18 inch for ride quality, car came with wind deflector & space saver spare both in a fabric bag. The air con is much improved but I am aware that aircon condensers are a weakness but no problems here on 20,000 miles to date.

A real dream with auto in Rosso Red.

Cheers

Mike.
Old Sep 10th, 2015, 17:22   #4
andytc

Thanks guys , the hunt is on

Looking for something in reasonable distance from bedforshire.
andytc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2015, 22:38   #5
Grizzly78

No leaks here from my 2006 C70 T5 SE LUX, I keep mine well lubricated (oooeerr) and stop leaks and annoying squeaks, prefer the manual though to the geartronic, parking sensors are a good idea due to poor rear view (with roof up), I went for the light blue with cream leather, bit different but it brightens up a gloomy interior (carpets nightmare to keep clean though)
All in all I like mine - go for it!
Grizzly78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2015, 18:01   #6
tullyman

Default 2010 c70 2.0d3

have had a 2010 C70 D3 man for eighteen months, very pleased, much better than my previous SAAB convertible and I would definitely recommend one, however on the matter of leaks I do get the odd drip at the drivers side of the top of the windscreen, funnily enough the 93 had the same problem, anybody any ideas???
tullyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2015, 18:53   #7
iantowil

C70, great design, but way too many niggles, and all common faults.
iantowil is offline   Reply With Quote