Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 2016 D5 AWD or D4 FWD...

Views : 5892

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 12th, 2015, 17:07   #11
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossmck View Post

We've the option in Belgium for a D4 (190) FWD.
Unless you MUST buy now, there will always be a decent deal further down the line.

Not an XC90 but an XC60, I have the D4 190 FWD coming from a D5 215 AWD, and whilst on paper they are comparable performance wise, I feel the 190 D4 just doesnt quite pull well enough. I don't think I would want a heavier blunter shaped XC90 with the same 190bhp engine. Plus it took me ages to decide FWD was ok for me (despite the fact AWD is not really a necessity for me) because I think SUV type vehicles should be AWD - especially an XC90.

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvorocks For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 12th, 2015, 18:59   #12
Rossmck

vr,

We have a very small purchase window now for a number of reasons, and have been serial test driving for 2 months, but we have to commit now ready for Jan Feb delivery. Otherwise we would be waiting to try the FWD D5 (225) end of 16. While I too am not fussed about AWD, and noting Volvo are not targeting the off-road Landcover/Range Rover mob, what I do have is 3 monster sized teenagers, a large dog and a bunch of healthy grandparents - so Volvo is almost a cast of one as 7 seats (and safety) is the must have for us.

This may go to answer Kev78's question 2 posts back - as to who the XC90 with only FWD and 190 horses is targeting - those with huge families who wish for genuine 7 seat capability, a touch of luxury (in our case for regular long European tours, and UK and Scotland visits) and have no need for 3L V6 performance or off road capability - and the clincher too good to be true MPG. However it likely is too good to be true, and not as refined/responsive could be a compromise too far. I am thinking it likely a false economy not to punt for AWD as is the norm in the segment, and accept the compromise 2l 225bhp 4pot that will no doubt be working hard anyway. We will spec laminated windows to hopefully keep the tyre/road noise at bay and give some sense of refinement.

If we could cope with a 5 seater we would and there are a whole bunch of estate cars I would rather own/drive! Incidentally the S-Max has been by far the best family car we have owned to date, we have simply outgrown it.

Yours and others observations are confirming my 'on paper' concerns, that AWD and 225 in this 2 tonne behmoth (especially with 1/2 a tonne of 'adults' inside) is likely minimum what is required, bearing in mind it is already only a 2l 4 pot, and looks like a very large brick from the front ;-) ... I'll see how the test drive goes when fully loaded!

Last edited by Rossmck; Nov 12th, 2015 at 19:19.
Rossmck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rossmck For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 12th, 2015, 19:48   #13
volvorocks
Rodney

@Rossmck

I think it is something you have to very carefully consider because an XC90 is a fair amount of cash. Get it wrong and you will alway be regretting it,not 100% happy, thinking ''should have got the higher output one'', which will be made worse by the large outlay. Best to perhaps spend a few pounds (or euros!!) more I suppose,so long as it is not ridiculously over budget, to be entirely happy and satisfied.

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volvorocks For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 13th, 2015, 17:49   #14
Gilesme

When i can't decide what engine / spec to get, Mrs E always advises me to get the most expensive one - as i'll only moan afterwards if i don't....
Gilesme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gilesme For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 16th, 2015, 09:57   #15
TWPC

@Rossmck,

I agree with your reasons for considering the D4 fwd XC90 but thankfully don't suffer from the time pressure you do to make a decision.

I would prefer to test drive it before taking the plunge but having driven a 185hp D5 XC90 for the last five years I would have thought the new D4 XC90 would be more than adequately quick. It is 2hp more powerful than my current barge and will be at least 150kg lighter.

Looking at your reasons for wanting the D4 fwd, have you considered a Ford Galaxy or Seat Alhambra? The only one of your criteria I guess they wouldn't fulfil would be the 'touch of luxury', but... they are known quantities, available with discounts, have more space than the S-Max and should be plenty quick enough with the most powerful diesel engine.

I guess I should add the reason we didn't buy either of those was that the wife couldn't abhor their looks...
TWPC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TWPC For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 16th, 2015, 18:04   #16
Rossmck

Thumbs up D5 wins.

@ TWPC

Yes indeed - I agree your recommends - we test drove 5 marques including your 2, Q7 (very nice), Grand Scenic (awful still imho), Disco Sport (too small, shouldn't have been on list frankly).

Our choice ended up swiftly at the Galaxy (based on our excellent experience with SMax) and we were pretty much committed having not even considered the Volvo (missus not even interested). That is until we went to finalise Galaxy spec at the local split Volvo/Ford dealer and we all sat in the XC90.... The only negative we could see static, was the middle seat looked deceptively small (still fits 3 large adults comfortably mid row, we tried). EndEx; initial intent was to leap to a low spec D4.

The clinchers were a) the much more spacious back row, even the Galaxy requires an element of knees up, b) slightly better safety features (close call though frankly, mostly strong marketing on Volvos part from what I can make out) c) despite the high cost, a huge amount of car for the money imho. The added comfort/luxury was a tertiary factor that swayed my vanity if not the missus.

Thanks for your steer, having spent this weekend with the D5 tho', I was mightily impressed, and all thoughts of negativity against the 2l 4 pot are put to bed - brilliant engine and responsive enough for me at 225bhp for sure. We will very often pack her out to the gunnels so I've convinced myself to stretch for the extra oomph and accept the reduced mpg of AWD. I blame Volvorocks/Gilesme, notional budget now well and truly blown ;-). The FWD 225 may be interesting to some late 2016?

Excellent advice here, has really helped my deliberations given our tight decision window (brought on ourselves when we shifted from cert' Galaxy 2 weeks ago...). Kev78's healthy cynicism has been particularly helpful in countering the marketing blah and aiding my double think, as this is a different league to the Ford, and I needed to justify it.

If I had another month, I would certainly have test driven the D4, and another 3-4 months, I'd be angling for a deal at Brussels motor show :-(. Unique circumstance means we needed to order a couple of weeks ago basically...

Thanks all.
Rossmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2015, 10:35   #17
wrcaston

FWD XC90..not so sure about that
wrcaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2015, 21:14   #18
JonathanD
VOC Member

Seemingly similar markets can be markedly different in reality.

The Irish market is far smaller than fellow RHD market the UK market, and whereas the XC90 D4 FWD is not, or at least not yet, available in the UK, it is available in Ireland...though conversely the XC90 T6 AWD is available in the UK and more than likely will never be available in Ireland.

Jonathan