Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V reg V40 timing belt

Views : 1778

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 16th, 2016, 16:55   #1
NaughtyV40

Default V reg V40 timing belt

Just bought the car for £250 its a lot of car for the money and only just over 73K miles on it, I really like it such a nice drive even if the clutch pedal is a bit stiff but hey for that money I cant expect the best car in the world!

I didn't notice until I'd taken it away that the timing belt has cracks in it, I'm really annoyed with myself for not spotting it earlier especially as I took it for a blast after buying it, that could have been drastic!

It looks like a difficult task and I haven't got the tools or knowledge to do it myself so will take it back to the guy I bought it off (he's a mechanic and has a garage) but what kind of price should I expect to pay for a timing belt change?
NaughtyV40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NaughtyV40 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 16th, 2016, 17:11   #2
ilikewatch
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaughtyV40 View Post
Just bought the car for £250 its a lot of car for the money and only just over 73K miles on it, I really like it such a nice drive even if the clutch pedal is a bit stiff but hey for that money I cant expect the best car in the world!

I didn't notice until I'd taken it away that the timing belt has cracks in it, I'm really annoyed with myself for not spotting it earlier especially as I took it for a blast after buying it, that could have been drastic!

It looks like a difficult task and I haven't got the tools or knowledge to do it myself so will take it back to the guy I bought it off (he's a mechanic and has a garage) but what kind of price should I expect to pay for a timing belt change?
You'll need to give a bit more info - i.e. is it a petrol or diesel engine? If petrol, is it a Volvo or Mitsubishi engine? What year is the car?
'18 (68) silver Volvo V40 T3 R Design
ilikewatch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ilikewatch For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 16th, 2016, 17:13   #3
NaughtyV40

Sorry its a 1.6 petrol V reg which I think is 1999, I'm not sure which engine it is I didn't know Volvo used others, I don't really know much about Volvo engines to be honest
Old Jul 16th, 2016, 17:17   #4
NaughtyV40

Old Jul 16th, 2016, 17:46   #5
martin93

I would expect to pay around £250 (including labour) to be on the safe side, plus another £70 for the water pump if you want that changed (water pump is recommended since you're 80% of the way there once the belt is off). The timing belt really isn't a bad job to do on these if you've got the knowledge.

Now I'm not insulting your knowledge and I apologise in advance, but I have to ask since customers have made this mistake at our garage before. You are looking at the belt under the big plastic cover? The cover held on with two bolts on top of the engine. It's just we've had people mistaking the auxiliary belt for the timing belt before.
martin93 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to martin93 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 16th, 2016, 17:58   #6
NaughtyV40

You are right to insult my intelligence I'm looking at the belt under where that yellow sticker is to the left of the inlet! Guessing that's the auxiliary lol should really check the timing belt too though as it's probably due!

I'll post more pics later as I'm just headed out on a second date and I'm fresh out the bath so can't get mucky lol
Old Jul 16th, 2016, 19:44   #7
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
I'm just headed out on a second date and I'm fresh out the bath so can't get mucky
I wouldn't worry about a bit of muck.
From experience, second dates are generally quite filthy anyway.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 16th, 2016, 21:59   #8
NaughtyV40

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
I wouldn't worry about a bit of muck.
From experience, second dates are generally quite filthy anyway.
Haha sadly there was none of that, I'm not rushing into anything I've been single for a long time (actually by choice not because I'm an ogre) and I'm now old and doing old man things like dating buying a Volvo and criticising kids these days.

I thought life begins at 30, I'm going on like mines about to end lmfao
Old Jul 16th, 2016, 22:52   #9
druid
V40 Owner

Quote:
Haha sadly there was none of that, I'm not rushing into anything I've been single for a long time (actually by choice not because I'm an ogre) and I'm now old and doing old man things like dating buying a Volvo and criticising kids these days.

I thought life begins at 30, I'm going on like mines about to end lmfao
Mine restarted 40. so your good for a bit, lol.

An MS Warior living one day at a time
"Neville" 207,000 so far. Water use 0 - oil negligible....
druid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to druid For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 16th, 2016, 23:07   #10
canis
Non Fragile

Yeah, 40 is the one. But I feel you, really. 30 is hard, worse than puberty! I don't ever wanna be 30 again! :-)
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to canis For This Useful Post: