Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 Starting Problem

Views : 1208

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 20th, 2017, 21:09   #1
TimBobJo

Default V50 Starting Problem

Hello

I'm a brand spanker to this forum and I've read other similar issues but none quite the same as I am having.

Ive got a 2010 V50 2.0D R Design. It has about 55k on the clock and it has been relatively regularly main dealer serviced. It is due a service, on time rather than mileage now though.

In short it normally starts fine, with the heater plug light only staying on for a millisecond or so. Recently it seems to be 'false starting' where it tics over at about 5-600 revs but it won't rev any higher and it almost sounds / feels like it isn't firing on all cylinders so to speak.

After one or two restarts it seems to work fine, there is no impact on performance once it starts properly. There is no noticable flat spots in acceleration, but when I try to restart after a short stop it does the same starting problem.

I've read about the throttle housing but that seems to be if it doesn't actually start at all.

Thanks in advance for any assitance.

Tim
TimBobJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2017, 07:53   #2
Austin160
Master Member

Hello Tim, Any associated smoke - perhaps white- when this happens?
Austin160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2017, 09:21   #3
TimBobJo

No smoke that I've seen, although when I let it tick over until i knew it wasn't going to recover itself it did have a bit then when I restarted.

Not clouds of black or white smoke just a little bit for a short second or two.
Old Feb 21st, 2017, 13:06   #4
Johnny Kebab

I have had this happen on my 2.0D as well, seems to be when its been cold over night. always assumed it was something to do with the glow plugs not getting hot enough.

JK
Johnny Kebab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2017, 13:09   #5
TimBobJo

I thought that may Ben the case but mine seems worse when the engine is warm. I've had the car for over six years now and I've never really noticed the plug warming light as it goes off so quickly.

I'm planning on dusting my socket set off this weekend to see what I can do!!! What's the worst that could go wrong?

Last edited by TimBobJo; Feb 21st, 2017 at 13:12.
Old Feb 22nd, 2017, 06:03   #6
RenarsLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBobJo View Post
I thought that may Ben the case but mine seems worse when the engine is warm. I've had the car for over six years now and I've never really noticed the plug warming light as it goes off so quickly.

I'm planning on dusting my socket set off this weekend to see what I can do!!! What's the worst that could go wrong?
Welcome to the 2.0 d EGR valve issues club
Try to clean egr valve.
If that doesnt help you need to blank it and program it out.
RenarsLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2017, 07:24   #7
TimBobJo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenarsLV View Post
Welcome to the 2.0 d EGR valve issues club
Try to clean egr valve.
If that doesnt help you need to blank it and program it out.
Thank you for the tips, but can I ask you to elaborate on what you actually mean. Whilst I'm not afraid of cluthching a socket or spanner in my hand I have never done more than check the oil or top up the washers on this car.
Old Feb 22nd, 2017, 07:52   #8
RenarsLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBobJo View Post
Thank you for the tips, but can I ask you to elaborate on what you actually mean. Whilst I'm not afraid of cluthching a socket or spanner in my hand I have never done more than check the oil or top up the washers on this car.
https://youtu.be/cWSTmh-GFAE

Here is a video of the process.
Your egr simply stucks at some point and that causes the bad starting/not starting problem. It will develop in car undrivable condition if not tackled. Had same issue on mine 2005 v50 2.0d. But i have Euro 3 model with no DPF so it was simple EGR blank, but on yours its more complicated than that so try to clean it at first.
RenarsLV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RenarsLV For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 22nd, 2017, 19:52   #9
TimBobJo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenarsLV View Post
https://youtu.be/cWSTmh-GFAE

Here is a video of the process.
Your egr simply stucks at some point and that causes the bad starting/not starting problem. It will develop in car undrivable condition if not tackled. Had same issue on mine 2005 v50 2.0d. But i have Euro 3 model with no DPF so it was simple EGR blank, but on yours its more complicated than that so try to clean it at first.
Looks like I'll be testing my socket skills this weekend then, my fingers are a little more sausage like than the bloke in the video so I'll see how I get on.
Old Feb 27th, 2017, 19:51   #10
TimBobJo

So I rolled my sleeves up and cracked on, it was bloody fideley and my hands ain't a delicate as the guy in the you tube clip. It was full of build up so I gave it a good clean.

Took if for a test drive and when I tired to start,it I had the same problem, bugger!

I did notice air in the clear fuel pipe on the left side of the engine. So I suspect there may be a crack somewhere, possible fuel filter? Also my better half has suggested at low revs there is a slight stutter, I clearly drive it a little more 'revvy' than her.

It's in for a service Friday so I'll see what it's like after a fuel filter change!

Tags
false start, v50 starting problem