Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Modifying Japanese Imported Volvo V70R

Views : 1965

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 21st, 2022, 15:34   #1
Cramond

Default Modifying Japanese Imported Volvo V70R

Hi, I bought a Japanese imported Volvo V70R AWD 2003 with low mileage around a year ago and have been using it happily ever since. There are a couple of modifications that I think the car needs and I thought I could tap in to the collect knowledge to get some advice before proceeding:

Speedometer - currently in kilometres and I think probably worth changing out for MPH etc. Should I go used or new?

Music System - I suspect that Japanese radio stations broadcast on a different frequency range but I can only get my radio up to 90MHz currently limited to Radio 2 if I want FM. It looks like I will be restricted to a Volvo unit due to the unusual shape? Suggestions?

Dashboard Warning Script & Announcements - I think this is controlled by the ECU ? I currently have no idea what my car is saying to me or what my dashboard messages mean as they are in Japanese. Not sure if this needs replaced or reconfigured.

Dashboard Sat Nav Hole - the sat NAV has been removed and I am thinking of just getting a grill to cover the spot perhaps there is an alternative?

Are there any other modifications that I should consider for the UK?
Cramond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2022, 16:35   #2
CosmicBike

Details in this thread to answer all your questions.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=324572
2007 Ford Galaxy (dog lugger)
Previous XC90 x 2, V70 x 2
CosmicBike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CosmicBike For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 21st, 2022, 16:46   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cramond View Post
Hi, I bought a Japanese imported Volvo V70R AWD 2003 with low mileage around a year ago and have been using it happily ever since. There are a couple of modifications that I think the car needs and I thought I could tap in to the collect knowledge to get some advice before proceeding:

Speedometer - currently in kilometres and I think probably worth changing out for MPH etc. Should I go used or new?

Music System - I suspect that Japanese radio stations broadcast on a different frequency range but I can only get my radio up to 90MHz currently limited to Radio 2 if I want FM. It looks like I will be restricted to a Volvo unit due to the unusual shape? Suggestions?

Dashboard Warning Script & Announcements - I think this is controlled by the ECU ? I currently have no idea what my car is saying to me or what my dashboard messages mean as they are in Japanese. Not sure if this needs replaced or reconfigured.

Dashboard Sat Nav Hole - the sat NAV has been removed and I am thinking of just getting a grill to cover the spot perhaps there is an alternative?

Are there any other modifications that I should consider for the UK?
A volvo software language change should sort that, Volvo UK might have to write it just for your car. That is what happened to one Import from Japan on a car like yours which I was involved with . You may need an instrument panel if it is physically marked in KPH
Old Dec 21st, 2022, 21:59   #4
tonyldee

I bought a Japanese import V70 on an 06 plate. I removed the Satnav and replaced the opening with a rubber mesh. It even looks authentic and I thought the screen was a distraction anyway. I have kept the original dash/speedo console -the main speeds are easy to convert and memorize. I installed a cheap HUU reflecting on the windscreen just under the rear view mirror which is an accurate double check. I already had this as the speedo on my previous 960 packed up and as it isn't an MoT requirement I found it very useful .Do you really need the full spectrum of the FM radio? CD is enough for me.
tonyldee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tonyldee For This Useful Post:

Tags
import, japanese import, stereo upgrade, v70r awd