Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Induction Manifold

Views : 1492

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 11th, 2023, 13:06   #1
ACESRR

Default Induction Manifold

The car is an 1800E with the D Jetronic. The car wasn't idling very well so I have gone through the process of checking the idle adjustment (throttle stop screw & throttle position sensor) which were all fine. I also clamped off the auxiliary air valve plus checked for a vacuum on the brake booster. However, I find that I can still screw the idle adjustment screw all the way in and the car still runs.

I therefore put a smoke generator on the induction manifold to see if there were any air leaks and found smoke was coming out of the steel blanking plug on the rear end (nearest the bulkhead (firewall). If I run the engine and put my hand over the blanking plug I can feel a suction.

Is there meant to be a sealing washer or O ring to seal off this blanking plate or am I going to have to wipe some JB Weld (or similar) round it to seal it off?
ACESRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2023, 14:57   #2
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Ace;

I expect your finding is a somewhat unusual occurrence ...but it would definitely contribute to idle issues in the D-Jet...and compliments on your technique for locating it!

The (est.) 2" Blanking Plug is set into the alu Intake Man at time of manufacture, similarly to an expansion ("freeze") plug in the engine (center displacement of the dome form, to expand sealing surface)...if it was replaced, and not properly installed at that time, or if it has simply developed a leak due to galvanic corrosion of the dissimilar metals, I would first check to see if the installation looks normal and proper, and if it does look OK, and the leak is around the edge, almost any fuel compatible sealer from gasket gook to RTV, to JBW will do the job until next time Intake Man is off, and access is good for a proper repair (removal and resetting with sealer!)

If you want to remove the BP with Intake Man in place, I should think that by removing the fresh air snorkel and opening the throttle, a broomstick or similar can be used to impart impacts to the back of blanking plug to "undome" it and persuade it out of position to allow removal...a simple cleanup of surfaces and reinstallation and resetting (with sealer!) will then give a permanent repair.

Good Hunting, please let us know how you make out.
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2023, 09:31   #3
ACESRR

Hi Ron,

Thank you for your reply to my query. I have put a wipe of JB Weld around the edge of the steel plate. I did this while the engine was running on the basis the manifold vacuum would suck the JBW into the gap.

It seems to have worked, with the engine running I cannot feel any suction and the idle seems to have stabilised.

Thanks

Andy
ACESRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27th, 2023, 21:56   #4
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Andy;

Thanks for follow-up!

I am currently in contact with another 1800E owner...helping him to understand and troubleshoot engine running issues...when I mentioned the importance of not having false air entering by way of hoses or components, I happened to also recall your recent finding, and related it to him...he subsequently checked, and sure enough confirmed a similar leak...an interesting fact is that he is in Hawaii, with no lack of nice weather, but also plenty of corrosive ocean air! ...so I must ask: Is Romford near the ocean?

I thought yours was an unusual and interesting finding, but twice in a month!?!...I guess its maybe not so unusual, after the construction is 50 years old, and it shows that the effect Luigi Galvani discovered in the 1700s is having its way with our cars to this day.

Cheers
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote