Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

More leg room

Views : 763

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 25th, 2006, 16:00   #1
Teddy

I own a 940 Estate which I love but as a tall person I need more legroom. Compared with Merc's and Vauxhall's the Volvo's leagroom adjustment is not as good. I could do with at least another 2"! The seats are manually adjusted and not electric.Does anyone know if there is a way to alter the position of the seat? .

Last edited by Teddy; Feb 26th, 2006 at 10:20.
Old Feb 25th, 2006, 20:23   #2
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Hi Teddy, welcome to the forum.

You haven't mentioned which model your 940 is, but if you have electric seats, then reverting to manual seats will regain an inch or so. If you have manual seats already, then all I could suggest is to make up an adaptor to relocate the seat further back using the original mounting points. I wouldn't drill new holes in the floor for relocating the seat, as the floorplan is strengthened around the exiting mount area to withstand the forces applied during an impact. Of course you should only entrust a compenent fabricator to make the adaptor!

I'm not aware of any alternative mounts that are fitted by the factory or available as an option I'm afraid.
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2006, 21:18   #3
bogart
Master Member

Not sure if there was supposed to be a difference but my 91 diesel estate had less front legroom than my current 94 petrol estate. The diesel looked as if seats adjusted correctly, ie didn't look if could go any further back.
There is a noticeable difference between the two though.

Regards
bogart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 14:33   #4
Rversteeg
Master Member

Default Leg room

The leg room of my 1998 940 Estate was improved a little bit by removing the rubber bumps at the rear of the rails in which the seat slides. You can pry them out with a screw driver. It is not much (10 mm or so), but when you are 6'7" like me everything helps.
Rob
Rversteeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 09:29   #5
Ferg

Funny you should say that, but my 1990 td estate is a bit short on legroom and I'm not especially long in the leg. Do the rails get clogged with dirt and sieze. I had to free off the rails with WD40 to allow any adjustment when I bought her.
Ferg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 14:43   #6
dave r
VOC16743

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferg
Funny you should say that, but my 1990 td estate is a bit short on legroom and I'm not especially long in the leg. Do the rails get clogged with dirt and sieze. I had to free off the rails with WD40 to allow any adjustment when I bought her.
Well it's funny you should mention this but when I first got my 940s, the driver's seat didn't want to go back far enough for my long legs. On close inspection the seat runners were found to be jammed up with pound coins! (only 3 unfortunately).
Nice little earner..............
Dave.

Last edited by dave r; Mar 2nd, 2006 at 14:45.
dave r is offline   Reply With Quote