Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Mystery Problem With 940

Views : 1139

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 1st, 2006, 20:01   #1
JOEYBIRD

is there any one out there who can shed some light on what's going on with my 1991 940 2ltr estate. It was driving perfectly until it started making a funny noise almost as if one of the belt,s was coming off, shortly followed by losing the radio, indicator's and lights. The noise got gradually got loader and there was a smell of burning coming from the engine. Pulled over and switched off, checked all belts and fuses, all ok, but would'nt start. After leaving it for about 20 mins it started up and drove home as if nothing had happened(although indicator's etc still did'nt work) Got home and car refused to start, so got local garage to come out, car would'nt jump start but managed to bump start it and got it to garage where they reckened the starter motor had fried so replaced it. Picked it up todayand everything seemed as good as new, drove for about an hour, stopped at supermarket, started her up and the noise was back! It seam's after all that i'm back to square one and no-one seem's to have the slightest idea of what is going on! Can anyone help?
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 20:14   #2
Russell@ RT Mechanics

Hi there i saw your post about your 940 it sounds like it could be the ignition switch not returning correctly so is jamming on the starter motor also as you had no indicators it does point to the same thing .
If you get it to do it again try moving the key in the ignition barrel but at the same trying to leave the car running .

Russ
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 21:18   #3
JOEYBIRD

Thanks for that, will try that, but would this be a reason for the burning? as there was definately smoke coming from the engine when i got home. Could it be a wire shorting out? also what do u think could b causing the noise as this seems to happen before anything else? I know this is asking alot but i really am stuck for idea's and any help at all is greatly appriciated!
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 23:57   #4
bogart
Master Member

Definitely starter motor not disengaging or being re-engaged with engine running, neither do it much good. As it has happened again so soon assume starter okay, they did actually replace it didn't they not just tell you they had. If so leaves the problem of it re-engaging which can only be caused by wiring fault, intermittent short or as previously stated possible ignition switch fault.
Regards
bogart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 18:19   #5
LankyTim
Missing the point

sticking solenoid on starter, starter cant disengage and gets red hot, perhaps it affects the battery causing the electrical probs.
LankyTim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 19:49   #6
bogart
Master Member

If starter doesn't disengage it frys and electrics such as mentioned, indicators, windows etc fail to operate. Can you still start the car? if so does it make noise on starting?
Cheers
bogart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 11:02   #7
LankyTim
Missing the point

Ive seen similar problems on lorries, the starter somehow "backfeeds" into the battery and kills the electrics, sometimes blowing up the battery. Maybe the starter acts like a generator, as its being turned by the engine. Thats the only explanation I can think of though it sounds a bit far fetched!
LankyTim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 18:03   #8
Ian M

This problem I have an answer for as it happend to me. what you have is a sticking ignition switch. Any of you can get the noise by turning the starter motor over with the engine running although I wouldnt recomend it. The reason that some electrical circuits dont work is that they are switched off when the ignition key is in the start position . To Save power. On mine I had to just toutch the bottom of the key to make it return to the run position and everything worked fine. I fixed it completley by ungumming the ignition switch with WD40.
Ian M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 19:06   #9
JOEYBIRD

Hi there everyone, thanks to everyone for your suggestions about my problem, i have since changed the ignition switch and have since done 200 miles without a problem, so it looks like the mystery is solved!!!
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 15:46   #10
ALANEDWIN

I had exactly the same thing with my old 740. The ignition switch was not returning after start up and the starter motor was running. I was always able to spot it because the radio/instruments did not work. Unfortunately one day my wife had the car and didn't notice that nothing was working!! Eventually the starter caught fire on the M6 and stranded her and 4 friends, but of course it was my fault. I found that DW40 regularly applied stopped it happening.

Alan Wilson

740gl
960 3.0
940 cd
all estates of course
ALANEDWIN is offline   Reply With Quote