Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 (D4) 181 R Design Lux, Nav thoughts

Views : 2795

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 10th, 2014, 17:10   #1
jukkha156

Default XC60 (D4) 181 R Design Lux, Nav thoughts

Hi Guys,

I have been lurking for the last few weeks now.

We went to see the new face lifted XC60 yesterday and was very impressed (wife was even more so and this would be her choice!).

Interested in the D4 (181) Manual (The auto seems to take the company car tax level a little too high). Lux Nav in Saville Grey with 20's and Illiumination Winter pack and privacy rear glass.

We have 2 babies (a 2 year old and 5 month old. With occasional 'mum' or wifes 'sister') to sit in the middle!))

The other 3 cars we are looking at are:

Brand new A6 Saloon Ultra Black edition, S-tronic. (metallic and heated seats would be the options) (this is also a brand new engine, 2.0 tdi 190bhp, 114 gs/m etc) or the Avant (estate version), if we feel the need for the extra space.

Finally the last car is the New facelifted Mercedes E300 Amg Hybrid! (This is the only car that we wouldn't have to wait for as it is available new ex stock but my wife says the image is a bit old (i am 41)).

So 4 Choices and I would be happy with any, BUT does anyone have any experience with the others v the XC60?

Many thanks guys for the input.

p.s. i wish i would have taken our double push chair to the showroom too as i wasn't 100% sold on the boot space of the XC60...

Last edited by jukkha156; Mar 10th, 2014 at 17:15.
jukkha156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2014, 17:23   #2
Crockers
Premier Member

R design on 20" wheels. Hope your spine is in good fettle and the babies have all their teeth firmly in place. That will be a very hard ride.

Mercedes are doing great deals on their stock to shift metal and the hybrid deisel has some good reports. Image wise- would disagree on it being old - in fact some say the same of Volvo.

Audi...I like the A6 and the Stronic box is great. But image wise..hmmmm ...taking over from BMW lol.

Try them all. Looking at your specific choices I would go mercedes - I don't like manuals any more.
Old Mar 10th, 2014, 21:08   #3
Considered1
Premier Member

I had an A6 Saloon for two years and at the time it was the most comfortable car I'd ever had (better than a previous Merc, ,and miles better than the BMW I had for three years afterwards.

Had an A6 Avant Black Edition for a week long test last year (think it was 177ps)
and it was a little underpowered, not that economical and not as comfy as the Volvo. It stood out as it was a good looking car but I did feel a bit self conscious, especially with the massive wheels the dealer had on it. Ride was good and a quality motor as you'd expect with Audi but it did lack something for the price.
I then discovered they were throwing them at you with massive discounts so just as well.

Havent seen that Merc, like the Hybrid idea but for that price I'd look at the V60D6.- This is the best car I have ever driven!!, just cant afford it.

Try them all, you are in a fortunate position so make sure you are sure..
Since I had an XC60 for three days its been by far the best car I've sat in, especially with the higher road positioning and feels much safer but make sure it has enough space for all the kids stuff.

We got tapped from behind in our A6 and the whiplash was extensive (dislocated my jaw!), not something Id like to go through again so its Safety and luxury first for me..
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2014, 22:03   #4
NewVolvo
VOC Member

I had a XC60 in 2009 and although a really lovely car, I found the D5 (then 205bhp) to be a bit....boring. I think what I really missed was the power. The new model with 215bhp is actually miles better.

Had until a week ago a 5-series estate (535D to be precise) and altough a sporty, fast, comfortable car, I had major issues with the dealers here in Germany and may never have another Bmw due to that so have ordered....

An A6 Avant BiTdi. After a testdrive in the smaller 204bhp version, I was sold. Very comfortable, fast and quiet. Of course, we can not compare an A6, 5er or a E-class to a SUV but still.

Personally, I find the E-class to be a bit of a "old man's car" and would not consider one myself due to the old man image.
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
NewVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2014, 04:52   #5
inego

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukkha156 View Post
p.s. i wish i would have taken our double push chair to the showroom too as i wasn't 100% sold on the boot space of the XC60...
We're thankfully past the pushchair stage, but it would be worth your while checking this out. My youngest son's bike which fitted fairly comfortably in the boot of our Octavia needs one of the rear seat sections to go down to fit into the XC60.

On paper at least, the XC60 boots seats up is 55litres smaller than the Octy - but there is more legroom and width in the rear seats, which was our issue.
inego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2014, 07:59   #6
jukkha156

Wow, thanks guys, all really, really good responses and has given me a few things to consider.

Some things i need to do though:

Test drive with 20"s (Are they really that bad?) and 18" booked asap. I am also going to take the double pushchair and both the babies. ( the bootspace i guess is my biggest concern at this stage).

Then get the other audi and merc test drives booked too. Will let you guys know of my progress.

Once again, I want to thank you all for your input. Really helpful and enjoy your XC60's, I am jealous!
Old Mar 11th, 2014, 08:46   #7
MikeIOW
Premier Member

Just one other thought, depending on how long you keep your cars perhaps: you may not need the double buggy too much longer....
Although KidsStuff always expands to fit the space available :-)
Old Mar 11th, 2014, 09:05   #8
jukkha156

Thanks Mike, it is going to be a 3 year business lease.

In November they will be 3 and 1, in which case i might even consider getting the family pack option (With the in built booster seats). At least when the older one is 3 (November), he can use it for the remaining 2.5 years of the lease.

The pushchair is probably going to be around for a while as it can be used for upto 4 year olds and the younger one will be 2 by then. Even when it will be used as a single (when the older one is walking all the time and has no need for the pushchair), it will still be going in the car for the younger one! (Minus one of the seats which will reduce the space a little i guess).

Well, just waiting for a call back for that test drive!
Old Mar 11th, 2014, 09:22   #9
inego

The built in boosters are standard on Oz XC60s, and our 6yo and his friends happily use them on a day to day basis - much easier than shuffling other setas around, especially without isofix not quite yet here. He did choose his other seat for a longer trip, but i haven't quite got behind his reasoning yet.
inego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2014, 09:25   #10
watchboy

Have you looked at the V70 at all?

I ran one before getting the XC60. I love the XC60 but for out and out load lugging the V70 had greater capacity, the boot aperture was a bit wider but not quite as tall as the XC60's.

Space wise the V70 is a bit wider inside which is great if you need to get multiple car seats in the back although the family pack was a must have option on both Volvos and is a revelation after messing about with booster seats and child seats!

The rear seats are raised in the XC60 which I personally think provides greater leg room for back seat passengers, especially if they are sat behind me!

It's a tough one really, the V70 is a great overall package but isn't everyones cup of tea and is a substantial beast especially length wise which means you always seem to overhang car parking spaces.

The XC60 is a slightly, and I do mean slightly more compact vehicle except for its height. The interior of both cars is great but the XC60 feels like a newer and fresher environment.

Ride wise the V70 used to be very, very smooth but didn't handle as well as the XC60 in R-Design spec. You have to compromise somewhere unfortunately but the XC60 feels more connected and I'd happily take that over the V70 for the greater majority of journeys.

Regarding the larger wheels I wouldn't think they do R-Design spec vehicles any favours other than improve the aesthetic appearance slightly.

Good luck whatever you decide

Paul
watchboy is offline   Reply With Quote