Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Prepare for snow ...

Views : 897

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 15th, 2014, 17:23   #1
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Default Prepare for snow ...

Decided to put the summers back on the car today, actually they have never been on this car as I fitted the winters immediately when i took delivery on 3 Jan this year

I still have 7 mm left after 3 years which is excellent and means i have at least one more year left, very good value as I only paid £95 per corner for them!

I also notice that the standard tyre is now the Conti, Volvo seem to have dropped the Pirelli - which is not before time!!!

Anyway, get ready for late snow - bound to happen now that I have changed the wheels early
Old Mar 15th, 2014, 17:38   #2
Arianne
Premier Member

This year's been a bit of a damp squib as far as snow is concerned here in the Scottish Borders. That's a shame because, having sold our XC90 in December and not having the new XC60 until March, we mounted four Bridgestone Blizzaks on our Vectra. New winter tyres are magical when they're brand new so I was hoping for some of the white stuff, but no

The new car has Pirelli from Volvo. Will need to source some winter tyres later in 2014 - still undecided about just swapping the tyres on the existing rims (which means shelling out for 20" tyres but keeping the look) or sourcing some used rims, probably 18". I think I'll just keep an eye out and see what comes up as the months unfold.

Regards, Arianne
Old Mar 15th, 2014, 19:00   #3
Brodick
Master Member

Still keeping tyres on my car till end of the month.
As we all know winter tyres are not just made to deal with snow.
Brodick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2014, 07:22   #4
Crockers
Premier Member

Hit 16C down here. I'll keep my winters on until 2nd week in April when we return from Grand Canaria. Summers will match suntan.

Now its bound to snow and I'll get a wet week away.
Old Mar 16th, 2014, 10:28   #5
Docs

Was gonna stick back on my 20" summers this weekend, had intended to do a full valet also but all plans went out the window with the crap weather.

Only encountered snow one day here in Donegal, and it was quite slushy but was glad I'd the Contis on, but I think where winters really shine is a cold wet road, the feeling of confidence these tyres give you can't really be explained unless you actually drive the car.
I had the misfortune of a 8hr round trip to Galway during one of the many winter storms we had around Xmas and in over 30yrs of driving I never encountered rain like it, but with the winters on there was no aquaplaning not even a hint of what was going on outside being fed back through the steering wheel.

The other thing I haven't had to use is the heated windscreen, does anyone else with one find it useful?
Old Mar 16th, 2014, 13:33   #6
Arianne
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docs View Post
The other thing I haven't had to use is the heated windscreen, does anyone else with one find it useful?
Docs, yes, we used it last Monday for the first time & it worked a treat. We had it many years ago when we owned a Ford Galaxy and we really missed it when we switched to the XC90.

Glad it's back.

Arianne
Old Mar 20th, 2014, 14:33   #7
tem
Premier Member

Put your winters back on as I am sending you all a cold blast.

tem.