Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Hello all/need assistance with my new 440 Si

Views : 615

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 00:57   #1
Ozzy

Default Hello all/need assistance with my new 440 Si

Hi,
Just bought a 1993 440 1.8 Si with 92,000 miles on today,its a bit tatty around the edges (well boot lid,rear arches & a few little dents here & there) but I only bought it as a cheap run around to work & its got 12 months mot.
Got a few little problems with it at the minute:-
1: Car wont start (kinda big problem) I've charged the battery up & it kicked over fine,drove for a few miles stopped it & it was flat again. Is there an easy way to tell if its alternator or battery?
2: I've found an earthing strap loose,one that attaches itself to an electrical box on the bulkhead.Any idea where that should mount to at the other end?
3: Sometimes its a pain to get into 1st & 2nd.Not bad as in gear crunching,just seems really stiff?
4: As a first time volvo owner I also dont understand what the light bulb icon with a cross through it means on the dash (it goes off after a few minutes)
5: Suspension seems really wobbly but that might be just because I drive 205 GTi's as well.

Well I think thats all for now,I've already found the cure for the pond in my boot problem on this site.......thanks,mind you I dont understand how the rear wiper is supposed to be controlled.I've tried a few things but maybe the motor/fuse is knackered.

For the money I paid I'm happy with my first volvo when it runs,very quiet & relaxed driving machine,but surprisingly nippy when needed (not GTI quick,but good for what it is)
Thanks in advance.
Shane
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 09:57   #2
Fidgad

Hi Ozzy

Can't help you with the starting problem as mine is a diesel Si. However, the light with the cross is you brake bulb check. As soon as you press the brake pedal and all bulbs are ok it will go out. The rear wiper/washer control is on the end of your wiper stalk. Press to wipe, keep it pressed to wash/wipe. If that fails check fuses I guess. The loose strap does sound probable cause but I guess someone more knowlegable will enlighten you. I got a Haynes manual for mine then found no mention of diesels but it was useful for all the other stuff.
Fidgad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 10:23   #3
Ozzy

Thanks for the reply.
I've swapped a battery over from one of my peugeot 205 GTI's & it all worked fine yesterday so hopefully it was just a duff battery.

Thought that was how the rear wiper was supposed to work but as mine doesnt thought maybe I was doing something wrong,guess I'll check the fusebox now....................................Ahh where is the fusebox?

Will get hold of a haynes big book of lies soon (well thats what its like for the 205 GTI anyway [duration of job 1 hour/easy from haynes book = 5 hours of sweat & tears in reality] )

Thanks for clearing up the bulb test light,I was running around all over the car looking for bulbs that where out everytime I started it
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 12:29   #4
Ozzy

**Update** the rear wipers started working all by itself!

Maybe the cars been stood for a while & its just just drying out or something.

(Oh & I've found the fusebox as well)