Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Looking to buy - V70R

Views : 2280

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 31st, 2023, 22:40   #1
theot88

Default Looking to buy - V70R

Hello to you all.

Newbie here. Thought I'd get involved as this is likely the best place to ask the questions I have, which you've likely heard many a time previously. Essentially, I'm on the look out for a V70R. I've done some homework so I am aware that they are maintenance heavy/need looking after and expensive if/as/when things break; the issues with the haldex, shock absorbers and sunroof seeming to pop up regularly.

If I missed anything that any of you experienced owners know about please do let me know. You won't patronise me, this will be the first performance Volvo I've owned. Everything received with thanks!

The car will likely be maintained by Avalon Volvo in Sywell, not that they know it yet unless (Nick) you're reading this.

If anybody has anything that they're thinking of selling, please feel free to PM me. Currently I'm looking for the following:

2005 onwards
Probably automatic gbx (6 speed ideally)
Either flash green/atacama interior or blue (sonic blue is it)/cream
UK or JDM (ideally JDM)

Thanks for reading and like I say, please do feel free to PM if you're in the market to sell yours and/or comment here anything you think I need to know.

By the way if anyone is after a 2013 V60 R-Design Nav - auto, D3, white, FSH with a huge stack of receipts (including gearbox services), currently just over 200,000 miles - there will be one for sale shortly!

Tom
theot88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2023, 23:24   #2
Simmy
Premier Member

try searching the jap car importers sites and sellers there are a few around but they wont be cheap good luck with the search.
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 6th, 2024, 12:34   #3
Rich850R
Master Member

You might want some deep pockets for one of these also.....brave pill on a P2 V70R
Rich850R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2024, 20:17   #4
theot88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich850R View Post
You might want some deep pockets for one of these also.....brave pill on a P2 V70R

Thanks for the reply; appreciated. Please do go on, I'm all ears. Don't get me wrong, I'm not deluded into thinking it'll be a case of simply chucking oil and filters at it "as per the manufacturer recommendation" every year though please do elaborate. Why do you say what you have? Anything that I could inspect for/request evidence of when inspecting one? Cheers
Old Jan 11th, 2024, 16:45   #5
Rich850R
Master Member

Haldex system
Angle gear
4C suspension
Split liners
DEM
Auto box
Brembos suffer badly with corrosion

My Dad had a Sonic Blue with Atacama

He had spent over 20K on it, don't get me wrong it was an incredible car and he got top money for it when i sold it for him a couple of years ago.

These bills escalated pretty quickly once he got into it.
Rich850R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2024, 19:12   #6
theot88

Thanks, much appreciated. Are there any good tests to perform upon inspecting one for purchase or symptoms to be aware of?

5 speed gbx or 6? (That cause trouble)
What's a DEM and why have you included it?

Cheers
Old Jan 25th, 2024, 13:46   #7
Sooper

Hi Tom,
I have a 2007 - Sonic / Atacama V70R that i may sell in the Spring. The car is lovely but i just dont use it as much as i should to justify the storage costs and Insurance etc.
If i do i will certainly put it on here first
Cheers
Neil
Sooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2024, 10:07   #8
theot88

Many thanks for your information. I'll keep an eye open if I'm still searching by then.

Last edited by theot88; Jan 28th, 2024 at 10:13.
Old Jan 29th, 2024, 20:08   #9
jason11

Default V70r

The v70r is a lovely car but a 2.3/2.4 T5 v70 can give you very similar performance and experience with a lot less hassle.
jason11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jason11 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 31st, 2024, 16:50   #10
Mashoo

Smile

Hi Tom

I daily drive a 2003 S60R flash green manual Uk car.

I have owned 4 S60 V70 Rs all Uk cars and everyone manual.

My 50 pence would be …..

UK car

Space ball manual

Lots of history with most or some of big jobs done. Rather than a very low miles jap car with hardly anything done.

Try and find one that previous owners have taken the hit with big bills to limit yourself but something will still pop up which requires large funds.

AWD service history is a must or get it done ASAP

Most stay available on the internet for months even years. Lots of interest but few take the plunge. Don’t get me wrong it will eat your Mastercard as mine does. But it’s a truly special car and i want to drive nothing else.

I wish you good luck and please post back if you make the purchase and let’s see pics!

Matthew.
Mashoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mashoo For This Useful Post: