Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

cambelt jumped a tooth.

Views : 26292

Replies : 286

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 25th, 2010, 23:38   #51
lou

the plugs leads cap arm are new., now has the proper volvo plugs in it , i have the same spark on each plug etc strong so i dont think its coil pk
when its fisrt started you dont here the popping sound through the system its only when it starts to get warm. and the color of the plugs are good all the same light brown colour but with black carbon on, and the same inside the rear tail pipe.
Old Feb 25th, 2010, 23:41   #52
scr8pdo
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou View Post
all i can say is the machine was reading 4.3 on the top gauge but dont know what that was, but as the exhaust was leaking it was all over the place.
when i say popping i mean its sounds like its got a ht lead arking type sound , whn you listen to it running, you dont get the same tone-pitch through the exhaust, and when you hold it in any gear it feels like a ht lead is down.
So does it feel like its misfiring? maybe a valve or a lifter, but didnt you say it was popping back, did you change the leads m8
Old Feb 25th, 2010, 23:53   #53
scr8pdo
Premier Member

If its popping in the exhaust, this could be unburnt fuel igniting in the exhaust or the cat and will seriously damage your cat, again timing out will cause this, if you think logically you have a good spark, good fuel supply, good compression, all the ingredients for good combustion but if the timing is slightly out its happening at the wrong time and fuel is getting into the exhaust and igniting there
Old Feb 25th, 2010, 23:55   #54
lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr8pdo View Post
So does it feel like its misfiring? maybe a valve or a lifter, but didnt you say it was popping back, did you change the leads m8
whats been happening, has done it say three times is.
when its running and up to normal temp when you turn it off, it does switch off but you get that rattley cam sound, ie trying to go up hill in 3rd gear and you here cam rattle, then it stops rattles again and then it stops. last time it did it i had smoke coming out the air box and it smelt of fuel.
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 00:00   #55
lou

Quote:
whats been happening, has done it say three times is.
when its running and up to normal temp when you turn it off, it does switch off but you get that rattley cam sound, ie trying to go up hill in 3rd gear and you here cam rattle, then it stops rattles again and then it stops. last time it did it i had smoke coming out the air box and it smelt of fuel.
it sounds like a misfire, but the rev counter doesnt flicker with it.
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 00:05   #56
scr8pdo
Premier Member

Quote:
it sounds like a misfire, but the rev counter doesnt flicker with it.
Honestly m8 sounds like timing, unburnt fuel is what you saw coming out back through the inlet side, some times the engine can run backwards when this happens making a clattery sound, when the engine is running forward that unburnt fuel is reaching the hot cat and igniting there causing the popping sound and wrecking the cat
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 00:06   #57
grass hopper
Premier Member

looking at previous posts,if the exhaust is blowing before the oxy sensor this will give an (incorrect) reading that the engine is running lean so the engine ecu will try to adapt to this,if it reaches the end of adaption the lamda warning light will be lit and cause over fueling and poping back in the exhaust.

if the exhaust is blowing after the cat it will not effect the running of the car but could still fail on high o2 readings.

if the co content is on 4.3 the car is running very rich ( should be below 0.3 to pass mot) and this will cause popping back and the cat to fail,are there any codes in the ECM ? worth monitoring the readings as the car is running.
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 00:06   #58
lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr8pdo View Post
Honestly m8 sounds like timing, unburnt fuel is what you saw coming out back through the inlet side, some times the engine can run backwards when this happens making a clattery sound, when the engine is running forward that unburnt fuel is reaching the hot cat and igniting there causing the popping sound and wrecking the cat
so to cut the long story short, put a match to the dame thing.lol.
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 00:11   #59
lou

also ive notice with my pic that ive put up of the top to pulleys ie the right hand side one looks out, if you look on jods thread re cambelt change his top to are the same the right hand side one is out, but if you go down the page to pic 13 i think it was when the new belt was on the top to pulleys line up spot on in there marks???? someone said you would never get them spot on but i guess jod managed,
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 00:15   #60
lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by grass hopper View Post
looking at previous posts,if the exhaust is blowing before the oxy sensor this will give an (incorrect) reading that the engine is running lean so the engine ecu will try to adapt to this,if it reaches the end of adaption the lamda warning light will be lit and cause over fueling and poping back in the exhaust.

if the exhaust is blowing after the cat it will not effect the running of the car but could still fail on high o2 readings.

if the co content is on 4.3 the car is running very rich ( should be below 0.3 to pass mot) and this will cause popping back and the cat to fail,are there any codes in the ECM ? worth monitoring the readings as the car is running.
i dont have any warning lights on the dash, they come on and go off, i used a flah code reader, the the codes i got all related to the cornectors that i unpluged to do the pcv system, reset the codes and retested and it was all clear. sorry but whats the ecm??
also its the blowing from the joint back of cat to nxt section, ie where the bracket is.