Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC70 Automatic Gearbox not changing up until 3000rpm

Views : 1866

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 13th, 2016, 20:20   #1
mattwilde66

Default XC70 Automatic Gearbox not changing up until 3000rpm

Hi All,

I moved to Norway recently and we have a 2005 XC70 with the older 5 speed transmission. My partners brother also has a similar age V70 AWD with the same engine and transmission. He noticed that his seems to change up in 3rd and 4th at about 2500rpm uphill but when he used mine the other day, mine wasn't changing until 3000 rpm. His has done 277k kms where mine has only done 107k kms. He did have to flush his transmission out a few times as there was trouble with one of the solenoids on his. He also reckons volvo say the transmission fluid is good for the lifetime of the vehicle.

I wondered if anyone knew of any issues like this. I've done a search on here and found issues of flare on XC90's. Also are there software issues with these?

Cheers
mattwilde66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2016, 20:29   #2
RM955I
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwilde66 View Post
He also reckons volvo say the transmission fluid is good for the lifetime of the vehicle.Cheers
It's not. I believe it is quoted as (to paraphrase) not needing changing during the normal lifetime of the vehicle......which is? 3 years? 5 years? 60,000 miles? 100,000 miles?

Filthy ATF kills transmissions: change it. How you do that is up to you. Some swear by a flush, others prefer a series of 'sump dumps'. I personally prefer the latter.

As for the shift point, they're adaptive gearboxes so will learn a driving style which could account for the difference.

personally, I'd start some sump dumps. Do 1, do another 1000 miles later, another 2000 miles later, another...whenever it's convenient. After about 4, you should notice that it starts to come out clean. New ATF has a small amount of detergent in it, so let it do its job and clean the system rather than forcing a load of ATF through it so it looks like it is clean but will be filthy again as soon as you start to put some miles on the car.
The Following User Says Thank You to RM955I For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 14th, 2016, 15:56   #3
mattwilde66

Cheers,

Aye, we're just going to change the fluid for now and then again a few months later again and see how that works. Its only done just over the equivalent of 66k miles which was mega-low for the age over here but I was wondering if the lack of use could be hurting it?

How can you make it "Un-learn" driving styles?
mattwilde66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2016, 17:08   #4
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM955I View Post
It's not. I believe it is quoted as (to paraphrase) not needing changing during the normal lifetime of the vehicle......which is? 3 years? 5 years? 60,000 miles? 100,000 miles?

Filthy ATF kills transmissions: change it. How you do that is up to you. Some swear by a flush, others prefer a series of 'sump dumps'. I personally prefer the latter.

As for the shift point, they're adaptive gearboxes so will learn a driving style which could account for the difference.

personally, I'd start some sump dumps. Do 1, do another 1000 miles later, another 2000 miles later, another...whenever it's convenient. After about 4, you should notice that it starts to come out clean. New ATF has a small amount of detergent in it, so let it do its job and clean the system rather than forcing a load of ATF through it so it looks like it is clean but will be filthy again as soon as you start to put some miles on the car.
+++1

100% - Volvo say these gearboxes are sealed for life, but (i think) all other manufacturers who used them (Nissan, Toyota, GM/Opel, Saab etc.) specify fluid changes - some at 36,000 mile intervals. I've also read that Volvo recommend changing at 36,000 miles for "heavy use" vehicles - taxi etc.

Just about everyone who does a full transmission oil change reports noticable and significant improvements in feel and behavior. Full flush with gibbons method is best but sump dumps infinitely better than doing nothing.

As has been said the transmission is adaptive so the higher shift points on your car could be down to:

- Car being more heavily loaded
- Previous driving style
- Different oil in gearbox
- Possible worn/damaged torque converter but unlikely

Etc.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 14th, 2016, 18:28   #5
RM955I
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwilde66 View Post

How can you make it "Un-learn" driving styles?
You can do forced adaptations if you have access to VIDA/DICE (diagnostic tool). If not, just drive it - it will learn as the adaptive gearbox is a constantly "learning" thing.
The Following User Says Thank You to RM955I For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 14th, 2016, 20:11   #6
oragex
Premier Member

3000 rpm is too high when driving normally. Mine changes at 2000 rpm. Only if I accelerate faster it will change at higher rpm.

You are lucky to have such low km. It is the right moment do replace the transmission oil - I would suggest getting the Toyota Type-IV one. Replace all the oil, here's how to to it (he doesn't use the right oil but otherwise the video is good). You don't have to necessarily drain the oil pan as he does in the beginning, but draining the pan helps completing the flush with less liters of new fluid. If working careful, the green clip and the o-rings at the line that goes into the radiator can be reused so basically the flush is easier than an engine oil change.

As above, Volvo was wrong when saying the transmission is sealed for life, unfortunately, but the good news is 100K km is the perfect moment for a first flush, then after 60K km again.

Edit: the flare issues on the XC90 were a different issue, some of the XC90 had a specific transmission that was poorly engineered and won't last past 100K km. As for the regular transmissions found in the V70, S60 and XC70, old fluid was causing the solenoids to get stuck by debris deposit, causing shifting issues after around 150K km. Reason why replacing the fluid is the only way to prevent these debris from clogging the solenoids in the long term.

Last edited by oragex; Feb 14th, 2016 at 20:18.
oragex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oragex For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 15th, 2016, 12:57   #7
reesky

Quote:
Originally Posted by oragex View Post
Edit: the flare issues on the XC90 were a different issue, some of the XC90 had a specific transmission that was poorly engineered and won't last past 100K km. As for the regular transmissions found in the V70, S60 and XC70, old fluid was causing the solenoids to get stuck by debris deposit, causing shifting issues after around 150K km. Reason why replacing the fluid is the only way to prevent these debris from clogging the solenoids in the long term.
From where have you got the information that some of the XC90 had specific transmissions that were poorly engineered? And what leads you to say they won't last past 100KM? Or are you refering to the 5-speed, i.e., prior to TF80-SC?
reesky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to reesky For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 15th, 2016, 13:27   #8
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

I believe the XC90 with the "poor transmission" that was beign referred to is the GM 4-speed unit that was fitted to the T6. There's actually nothing inherently wrong with that transmission other than it was bolted to too powerful an engine.

The earlier, pre-2005 XC90's with 5 cylinder engines used the same AISIN WARNER AW55 transmission that is being discussed here.

Another point to mention is that the shift points are not based on engine RPM alone - far from it - its a calculation based on engine and gearbox temperature, engine load, RPM, road speed, throttle position and probably a number of other factors.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 15th, 2016, 15:47   #9
volvoid
Monster Raving Loony

the gearbox oil change is diy, even I have managed it.
Search for "gibbons method" and do something similar
drain from sump plug, its a large one, cant miss it. Dont touch anythhing else.
Fill via dipstick hole - a flexi-funnel will fit.

the method is this
drain
run engine

drain
run

drain
fill

run drain

fill run drain
fill run drain
until fluid coming out is clean,

takes say 8 litres, the process with shift most of the old fluid.

so buy 2 bottles of the correct fluid, not standard atf, the right one.

a few months later do it again, use the remainder plus 1 bottle. You get the idea.
The Following User Says Thank You to volvoid For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 15th, 2016, 17:29   #10
oragex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reesky View Post
From where have you got the information that some of the XC90 had specific transmissions that were poorly engineered? And what leads you to say they won't last past 100KM? Or are you refering to the 5-speed, i.e., prior to TF80-SC?
Tannaton is right, here's some additional information

http://forums.edmunds.com/discussion...6-transmission

http://www.aboutlawsuits.com/volvo-t...tlement-43494/

Tags
3000, automatic, change up, xc70