Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Daily driver

Views : 3145

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 1st, 2019, 15:32   #21
amazondean
amazondean

I have owned my 1996 850 TDI ESTATE, manual for just over 11 years. I paid £1100 for it back then. It has been the main family car for the first 8 years, now it is my daily driver to work and used more as a work horse now. However a year ago I purchased a scrap car and stripped the leather interior and all interior trim and swapped it over to my car. Wiring in an electric seat, wood style dash and swapped the drivers wing. Mine was absolutely rotten.

The car has now got a new lease of life and looks great. Just had the wheels powder coated by a mate and look perfect. I still love this car and will continue to use it as long as the big bills stay away. In 11 years of ownership I would say I have not spent more than £1500 pounds on it including all servicing and repair costs. It has been a legend. Now on 222200 miles and still runs well. I would like to get another two to three years out of it before it starts costing too much to keep on the road. There are very few left of these Diesel estates now.

Our main car is now a 1998 v70 tdi. It has done 109000 miles and starts before the engine even turns once, even when not used for a week. I paid £400 for it a year ago and hope to keep it for several more years yet. These are also becoming very rare now.
amazondean is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to amazondean For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 1st, 2019, 17:20   #22
colnet

I alternate between three
V50 T5, 06
C70 coupe, 98
C70 convertible, 05 (wifies)
None are garage queens, all are fantastic, but the coupe is tops.
colnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2019, 10:00   #23
volvo2
Master Member

I have a daily commute of 120 miles (60 miles each way) that I share between my 1994 Volvo 850 (203,000 miles) and my 2002 Volvo V70 (166,000 miles). I've owned the V70 from new and the 850 from almost new.

These days I rarely see other cars older than 1994 on the motorway and I am most often the oldest car in the carpark.

Do I hold the record for having the same car for the longest time on the road (my 850 for 25 years now)?
volvo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2019, 12:59   #24
Faust
Master Member

Thread made me grin a bit....

My missus uses her 1999 V70 as her only car - and why shouldn't she? No rust issues, reliable, economical (she has an LPG conversion), comfortable... the list goes on. It's CAR. And cars are meant to be used!

My daily driver (and only car) is 1969/70 Volvo Amazon. In fact, it's parked in my work car park with all the frost just about melted off by now.

Lives outside and is used in all weathers. It's no show queen, but by god it gets driven!

As already alluded to by others, it makes me laugh when I see how easily people are led. The general consensus seems to be that as soon as car is 3 years old it's worn out and must be chucked away... and yet another PCP deal or lease needs to be arranged. Shock! Horror! You might not have a new car and people will think less of you. But hey, sign this bloody great check and you'll be fine.

Hell with that!
Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2019, 13:47   #25
Rich850R
Master Member

our pink Manual 855R is my daily driver, sits outside, and gets abused daily!!

sits in my horrible HGV yard getting covered in all sorts of crap, it hates not being used and abused
Rich850R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2019, 15:34   #26
acshortt5
Volvo Nutcase

The S70 gets used daily. Was driven to school in it, started using it when the 240 went, commuted to Uni in my final year and have driven all over the Country in it. Now I work from home it doesn't do as many miles per year but over the past 18 months I've had to do multiple 110 mile trips (each way) and I just get in it and go. Latest one I got 24.5mpg and that had a fair bit of stop/start traffic and wasn't hanging about either with a passenger and a boot full of stuff so more than happy with it. If I get a clear run and I'm careful I have managed over 30mpg out of it. I do go OTT on maintenance though - principally so I can rely on it - anxiety is a terrible thing to have.
The mx5 is my road legal track day toy.

1998 S70 T5 CD AUTO
Previously a 1990 240 GLT-R

Last edited by acshortt5; Dec 4th, 2019 at 15:38.
acshortt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to acshortt5 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 4th, 2019, 15:47   #27
Rich850R
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acshortt5 View Post
The S70 gets used daily. Was driven to school in it, started using it when the 240 went, commuted to Uni in my final year and have driven all over the Country in it. Now I work from home it doesn't do as many miles per year but over the past 18 months I've had to do multiple 110 mile trips (each way) and I just get in it and go. Latest one I got 24.5mpg and that had a fair bit of stop/start traffic and wasn't hanging about either with a passenger and a boot full of stuff so more than happy with it. If I get a clear run and I'm careful I have managed over 30mpg out of it. I do go OTT on maintenance though - principally so I can rely on it - anxiety is a terrible thing to have.
The mx5 is my road legal track day toy.
lucky to see 15 around town in the R, late 20s on a run if im lucky, that said its not exactly standard, and it gets driven like it should!!
Old Dec 4th, 2019, 16:07   #28
acshortt5
Volvo Nutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich850R View Post
lucky to see 15 around town in the R, late 20s on a run if im lucky, that said its not exactly standard, and it gets driven like it should!!
I took it round castle combe many years ago and I think the computer said it did 7mpg...
I'm not too bothered about fuel usage, just pleasantly surprised that it still returns decent figures for what is a 20+ year old engine/autobox. You're right about round town though, that and any form of stop/start traffic sends the mpg through the floor.

The mx5 is the best though, I can brim the tank, drive out to a circuit (60ish miles), hammer it round all day then drive home and still have a 1/4 of a tank left to play with :-)

1998 S70 T5 CD AUTO
Previously a 1990 240 GLT-R

Last edited by acshortt5; Dec 4th, 2019 at 16:11.
acshortt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2019, 05:44   #29
Rich850R
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acshortt5 View Post
I took it round castle combe many years ago and I think the computer said it did 7mpg...
I'm not too bothered about fuel usage, just pleasantly surprised that it still returns decent figures for what is a 20+ year old engine/autobox. You're right about round town though, that and any form of stop/start traffic sends the mpg through the floor.

The mx5 is the best though, I can brim the tank, drive out to a circuit (60ish miles), hammer it round all day then drive home and still have a 1/4 of a tank left to play with :-)
Good work there, although I’m aware of the economy I don’t care to be honest, people ask me about what I get to gallon, when it needs fuel it gets fuel, if was concerned about fuel I’d buy a Prius, I wouldn’t be tearing around in a heavily modified old Volvo tank
The Following User Says Thank You to Rich850R For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 6th, 2019, 09:27   #30
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

My 2.4 N/A petrol automatic V70 has returned better than 29.2377 MPG over 11606 miles in my ownership. I say 'better than' simply because there is more now in the tank than when I bought it - there could hardly be less!

I agree with 'Rich850R' that there is more to economical motoring than the cost of fuel. One feature of the cars that we drive which is often overlooked is the near zero depreciation. I wouldn't be surprised if 'Rich850R's car had actually appreciated over the course of his ownership. How much would a Prius depreciate in the first three years?

Encouraged by the manufacturers, people have become fixated on squeezing the last mile out of every gallon of fuel to the exclusion of everything else - a misguided philosophy in my view.

Regards, John.