Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1 owner 17000 miles from new 240 glt auto

Views : 9908

Replies : 70

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 25th, 2011, 07:27   #21
john h
VOC Member

A great buy for somebody, in my opinion.

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2011, 10:35   #22
RF82
Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUR71V View Post
Hello Keir v6
You say its a 1 owner car? Are you that owner?
If so, how do u not know about the speedo change?
That would make you owner number 2.
Please Clarify.

PS, any further photos?
To answer on behalf of Kier;

He owns an MOT centre, and the car came to him through a contact of his who looked after the car for the original owner. When the old chap passed away, his family asked if anyone knew of a home for it, so Kier bought it. The trade section of the log book was filled in, so no additional owners on the V5.
RF82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RF82 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 1st, 2011, 20:37   #23
NUR71V

Hi Guys,

I viewed this car today - need some feedback.

It does seem pretty flawless.

However never owned an Auto 200 GLT.

I have owned 3 manual's - What I would like to know is... what should I look out for in regards to future problems. Has there been any negative history regarding Auto Boxes on Volvo 240's

All and as much feeback as you can both positive and negative would be appreciated.

Kind Regards.
NUR71V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2011, 22:07   #24
minesa240x3
loyalty

Well for those of us that aren't aware of which autobox was fitted to which year car could you find out which one it has?
I only know about the AW70/71 and it seems flawless.It has had a real hard life in mine as the last owner let it run out of oil a few times rather than fix the leaking steel pipe.I drove it onto a trailer with next to none in it.And when I drained what was left in it!Well it was thinner than water and black with a strong smell of burning.Since my ownership it has had the wrong oil put in it by me.oohhpps.Drained and refilled twice since with the correct oil.Now has towed my twin axle caravan with no complaint and still going strong.It does make a small whining noise when cold but this doesn't seem to affect it any.
It may well have a Borg warner type 35 or 55 but I know nothing about these at all sorry!
Regards Brian.
Just had a look at the year of this one and I would guess it's the AW70/71 as my manual for borg warner box's is for year 1974 to 1984.

Last edited by minesa240x3; Nov 1st, 2011 at 22:09.
minesa240x3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2011, 23:12   #25
Antz
No I'm not the redhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by minesa240x3 View Post
Well for those of us that aren't aware of which autobox was fitted to which year car could you find out which one it has?
I only know about the AW70/71 and it seems flawless.It has had a real hard life in mine as the last owner let it run out of oil a few times rather than fix the leaking steel pipe.I drove it onto a trailer with next to none in it.And when I drained what was left in it!Well it was thinner than water and black with a strong smell of burning.Since my ownership it has had the wrong oil put in it by me.oohhpps.Drained and refilled twice since with the correct oil.Now has towed my twin axle caravan with no complaint and still going strong.It does make a small whining noise when cold but this doesn't seem to affect it any.
It may well have a Borg warner type 35 or 55 but I know nothing about these at all sorry!
Regards Brian.
Just had a look at the year of this one and I would guess it's the AW70/71 as my manual for borg warner box's is for year 1974 to 1984.
My GLT is an '88 and had the AW71 gearbox in it. It was a nice gearbox but then I only drove the car 250miles in a single day before yanking the lot out to do a engine and gearbox conversion.

Swap a T5 motor into your RWD Volvo:The Guide
Antz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2011, 23:46   #26
NUR71V

Okay, thanks guys.

Anyone else. Any 200 drivers out there who have an Auto?

thx
Old Nov 2nd, 2011, 00:25   #27
capt jack
VOC Member

Have a drive and make sure that the gearbox changes up and down smoothly, and that the overdrive works properly. Make sure that the kickdown works too. There should be no clunks when selecting D or R, and a delay of only a second before the drive engages.

I've owned two auto 240s, an auto 940, three auto V70s, an auto S70 and an auto 1800ES.

Between them those cars covered around 1,000,000 miles. The only auto gearbox problem I ever had with a Volvo was a dipstick oil seal that needed replacing on my current V70 - and that only after 225,000 miles! With the exception of the 1800ES (BW35 box) all the others spent their whole lives on the factory original oil and all performed perfectly.

If the gearbox on this car sems to work properly, there are no obvious leaks and the fluid looks good then to be honest the gearbox is the one bit of the car that I would not be worried about!

I wish I could justify that 240GLT - I'd buy it tomorrow - if you're in a position to go for it then do it!

Cheers

Jack

Last edited by capt jack; Nov 2nd, 2011 at 00:29.
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 2nd, 2011, 01:06   #28
novomobile

Smile

I agree with capt. jack. I dont think you will get a better one for the price. If i were in the marketplace place to buy now, i would have snapped that car up.
novomobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2011, 01:16   #29
NUR71V

Hi Jack

I can confirm that all checks you recomend I did today, kick down, overdrive, no clunks or knocks all sounds good.

Once again guys thanks for your feedback.

*now got to count the pennies...
The Following User Says Thank You to NUR71V For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 2nd, 2011, 01:21   #30
c_lee
VOC26332

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUR71V View Post
Okay, thanks guys.

Anyone else. Any 200 drivers out there who have an Auto?

thx
I have an Auto 240 ( AW 71 ) used daily and have no major problems.
It seeps a bit from the output shaft but I recently bought a new seal for it - will be replacing it before long.

I had a BW35 244 Auto for 13 years and the only problem I had with it was that the selector input shaft spring pin snapped once.
Dropped the pan off the box and replaced it - sorted.

Colin
The Following User Says Thank You to c_lee For This Useful Post: