Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 2011 cargo trim to remove light cluster

Views : 3893

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 29th, 2015, 18:14   #1
moes80

Default XC60 2011 cargo trim to remove light cluster

Dear fellow forum members,
I am looking for instructions on removing interior trim panels so I can remove the near side rear light cluster. Xmas evening someone decided it needed a whack with a hammer and now I’ve been stopped by the police I need to sort this out asap as I was told the next time I’m stopped I will get a ticket. I have sourced a replacement light and have spent a day trying to get the cargo area trims off but have only managed to get the rear seat frame panel off (the panel that’s against the back of your arm when sat in the back, directly under the belt), everything else seems to be invisibly secured. I have spent many hours searching this site and googling to find the answer but it seems no help is out there. If there is a Volvo xc60 expert on this site I really could do with your help. Thanks.

Last edited by moes80; Dec 29th, 2015 at 18:34.
moes80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2015, 20:52   #2
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moes80 View Post
Dear fellow forum members,
I am looking for instructions on removing interior trim panels so I can remove the near side rear light cluster. Xmas evening someone decided it needed a whack with a hammer and now I’ve been stopped by the police I need to sort this out asap as I was told the next time I’m stopped I will get a ticket. I have sourced a replacement light and have spent a day trying to get the cargo area trims off but have only managed to get the rear seat frame panel off (the panel that’s against the back of your arm when sat in the back, directly under the belt), everything else seems to be invisibly secured. I have spent many hours searching this site and googling to find the answer but it seems no help is out there. If there is a Volvo xc60 expert on this site I really could do with your help. Thanks.
Haven't had mine long enough to tell you much but the hand book says.

Brake light and reversing lamp
Both the brake light and the reversing lamp
bulbs are replaced from inside the cargo
area.
1. Open the panel.
2. Detach the bulb holder by turning anticlockwise.
3. Remove the blown bulb by pressing it in
and turning anticlockwise.
4. Fit a new bulb, press down and turn
clockwise.
5. Fit the bulb holder and turn clockwise
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sound proof1.jpg (144.0 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg XC60-Rear-Light.jpg (59.5 KB, 42 views)
Old Dec 29th, 2015, 20:55   #3
K5 Gus

I think he's looking to replace the whole light cluster which has been vandalised, rather than just replace the bulbs inside the cluster
Old Dec 29th, 2015, 21:02   #4
moes80

Yes K5 Gus is correct. The complete cluster needs to be removed and it seems that this can only be done by removing the majority of the cargo area panels/trim.
Old Dec 29th, 2015, 21:05   #5
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K5 Gus View Post
I think he's looking to replace the whole light cluster which has been vandalised, rather than just replace the bulbs inside the cluster
Yes I realise that but just trying to get him started as I've never looked in mine. With previous Volvo's I've changed light clusters starting that way. Haven't looked at the XC60 as normally they are so high as to not take damage.

I don't think it takes long to take out the rear panel as my dealer has done it while I wait when fitting the 12v power supply socket.

Last edited by RoyMacDonald; Dec 29th, 2015 at 21:08.
RoyMacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2015, 21:13   #6
moes80

Hi Roy,
Thanks for the start up. I have not removed the bulbs as this would give the rain water direct access into the car. I do have some tape on the cluster but I can't see that holding for long.
The Following User Says Thank You to moes80 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 29th, 2015, 21:39   #7
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Hi Roy,
Thanks for the start up. I have not removed the bulbs as this would give the rain water direct access into the car. I do have some tape on the cluster but I can't see that holding for long.
What other p[people have said.

There are 3 nuts holding the tail light in place. The top one is approx 6 inches down from the top of the light and the nut can't be seen unless you remove the inside cargo trim. Once the rear cargo trim is removed and all the nuts have been taken off, the light will still be attached to the car by the bar mounts. The rear bar requires the removal of the torx bolts that hold the guard liner to the rear bar, the 2 lower clips have to be taken off as well as the 2 rubber buffers that bolt the rear bar to the car to then enable the rear bar to be removed

all the interior trims around back of the tail light housing had to come off to get to the nuts holding it.

not a nice job , you have to take off the rear side trim panels around the light , including the trim that goes across the headlining right at the back . then you can get at the nuts . Another problem you have to ease the left side of the bumper back to get at a few screws on the plastic corner bracket . volvo's time for this is just over an hour ..

it only took the dealer in Edinburgh 30mins to change the cluster when an idiot cracked mine whilst it was parked up.

No more pictures that I can see on the net.
Old Dec 29th, 2015, 23:29   #8
moes80

Hi Roy,
Thanks for the reply. I also read the article you got the information from. Currently my main issue is removing the trim as there is nothing obvious that I need to undo for each peace to come off. Once all the trim has been taken off I think it will become obvious how to remove the light cluster. I have been gently wrestling with each peace and had no success....for example I have removed the two bolts that hold the trim going over the tailgate locking latch(just above bumper) but it still won't come off, I have removed the hidden screws behind the side panel restraining points, undone the bolt next to the belt, removed the small peace of trim that wraps around the seat belt but again the side panel wont budge. I have removed the four bolts securing the ply lid mechanism (two near hinge and two near bumper) on the space saver...will it budge....nope.

It's strange that with all my previous cars 850/s80/v70 getting this sort of information was quite easy but with this xc60 it's like they only came out yesterday
The Following User Says Thank You to moes80 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 30th, 2015, 20:52   #9
rkennedy

Quote:
Hi Roy,
Thanks for the reply. I also read the article you got the information from. Currently my main issue is removing the trim as there is nothing obvious that I need to undo for each peace to come off. Once all the trim has been taken off I think it will become obvious how to remove the light cluster. I have been gently wrestling with each peace and had no success....for example I have removed the two bolts that hold the trim going over the tailgate locking latch(just above bumper) but it still won't come off, I have removed the hidden screws behind the side panel restraining points, undone the bolt next to the belt, removed the small peace of trim that wraps around the seat belt but again the side panel wont budge. I have removed the four bolts securing the ply lid mechanism (two near hinge and two near bumper) on the space saver...will it budge....nope.

It's strange that with all my previous cars 850/s80/v70 getting this sort of information was quite easy but with this xc60 it's like they only came out yesterday
You will find how to remove the side panel (the most difficult part) by reading the installation instructions noted below:
http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-...lt/XC60%202011
rkennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rkennedy For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 30th, 2015, 23:32   #10
moes80

Hi rkennedy,

Thank you....if it's not raining tomorrow I will start work straight away, I will try and work by the instructions. They say to never look a gift house in the mouth, these instructions I am very grateful for, however, where did you get these instructions from? In the last few days I feel like I've ventured to the corners of the net and found nothing.