Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Best All-Season SUV tyre

Views : 39871

Replies : 174

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Best All season suv tyre
Pirelli Scorpion Verde All season 50 24.75%
michelin cross climate 78 38.61%
Goodyear vector 4 season 12 5.94%
nokian weatherproof 37 18.32%
other 25 12.38%
Voters: 202. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 17th, 2017, 08:50   #21
Crockers
Premier Member

Just fitted Cross Climates. Kwik fit had them for 138£ so a steal as its about £40 a tyre cheaper than elsewhere.

Much quieter and fuel consumption is about 2 mpg better. Very pleased but where's the snow??
Old Oct 18th, 2017, 00:48   #22
molsal

Another vote fro cross climates. I replaced my standard scorpion verdes after 4000 miles due to lack of grip when pulling away, the cross climates cured this and are much quieter, plus good fuel economy. They are quite good on wet muddy grass too.
Old Oct 18th, 2017, 18:52   #23
Ima Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsal View Post
Another vote fro cross climates. I replaced my standard scorpion verdes after 4000 miles due to lack of grip when pulling away, the cross climates cured this and are much quieter, plus good fuel economy. They are quite good on wet muddy grass too.
Interesting - I've got the same model as you and the std tyres are awful if accelerating hard. I just assumed that it was the effect of FWD (This is my first FWD car for many many years). The Cross Climates differ from many other all season tyres in that instead of being a winter compound that is modified for all year use, they are based on a summer compound. As such they are probably better suited to UK climate. Did you fit the Cross-climates all round & what have you done with the Pirellis?
Ima Poster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2017, 01:02   #24
molsal

Hi, I still have two Pirellis with virtually no mileage on them in my garage ( from the rears ) . No more scrabbling when pulling away from junctions . I fitted fronts only first, as I was so impressed I swapped the rears too. Well worth the expense ,particularly living where I do.
Old Oct 20th, 2017, 16:44   #25
Celticxc60

I have been using Good Year Wranglers since the original tyres were changed. Have found them to be excellent. I do regulalry drive off road (across fields etc) to go fishing.
Celticxc60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2017, 18:12   #26
Gilesme

Just driven down the motorway through Hurricane Brian (even my TomTom had a "raincloud" symbol on the route overview to signify extreme weather - never seen that before!).

CrossClimates were awesome at clearing standing water - providing massive confidence.
Gilesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2017, 16:50   #27
stu0710
Master Member

I am on my second set of Vredestein Quattrac 3's - both sets have done 40K+ miles on an XC60 FWD D3 Manual.

They are surefooted in both summer & winter although I've not encountered proper snow. I would definitely buy these again.
Old Oct 26th, 2017, 12:59   #28
MikeIOW
Premier Member

I've pulled the fiscal trigger on some Nokian weatherproofs for Stormy.....always been happy with Nokian in the past, hopefully these will be fine for me.
Of course this means there will be two Pirelli Verde summer tyres with under 3,000 miles on coming up for sale soon, hopefully someone will be able to get some decent use from them following my fiasco with the tyre shredder ramp in France.....
Old Oct 26th, 2017, 16:28   #29
GusGecko
from C30 to XC60

Whilst im still happy with the apparent wear, grip in all weathers so far and any off road conditions ive put the scorpion all seasons through...I still think they are louder then the (probably softer) summer tyres....

GusGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2017, 22:42   #30
xco
Premier Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGecko View Post
Whilst im still happy with the apparent wear, grip in all weathers so far and any off road conditions ive put the scorpion all seasons through...I still think they are louder then the (probably softer) summer tyres....

Still running on my Scorpion Verde A/S and very pleased.... cant seem to wear them out although they will need replacing soon.

Gus..... try running them on nitrogen instead of air i found mine to be quieter and a smoother ride after i changed to nitrogen @ 39psi.
Wherever you go............There you are!!!
xco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xco For This Useful Post: