Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General > PV, 120, 1800 Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo 131 GT Replica for sale by auction

Views : 1428

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 10th, 2014, 18:09   #1
mg251

Default Volvo 131 GT Replica for sale by auction

There is a Volvo 131 GT replica coming up for auction at Richard Edmonds auctions at Castle Combe in Wiltshire on Saturday 31st May. Here is a link to the ad for anyone interested =

http://www.catalogue-host.co.uk/rich...05-30%2fpage_1

I have no interest in the car or auctioneer but it may be of interest to someone on here.
mg251 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mg251 For This Useful Post:
Old May 12th, 2014, 21:38   #2
agent_strangelove
Pastry Engineer

There never was a 131gt is this 'replica' is just some gt bits thrown at another car... One of the main points of the GT was that you got dual carbs so by definition, it's not a '1' carb car... Yes, the paint looks nice but the wiring in the engine compartment should be a bit nicer for the expected sale price.... What are the badges on the side of the fender?

Chris
agent_strangelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2014, 21:56   #3
Derek UK
VOC Member

Smile

The badges are a pair of specially made Volvo R-Sport ones put on by the guy who actually did the rebuild 20 years ago. Car then built from a shell plus a garage load of bits. Wheel and dash plus other parts added later. Reference the other cautionary posts on this car, the rusty rear window aperture was just apparent back then and got some rust treatment but rust never sleeps.
I endured a noisy but interesting trip from Kent to Dorset to collect the Cosmics in an Amazon Estate with no OD. Wheels had been removed from a super nice grey 1800 that had been refitted with original wheels. Can't remember the reg number but it was in Gillingham Dorset. They came back to a couple of miles from Gillingham, Kent.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2014, 13:36   #4
Masterchief

As said in the "word of warning" thread, unless this car has had both screens removed and some serious repair work done on it, it will be nightmare for the new owner. It looks the part, sounds lovely but will be rotten! It might well have had work done to correct it properly, it might have been bodged or its the same as I saw it a couple of years ago. Just check the screen surrounds very, very carefully. There was filler in the front passenger corner when viewed by sticking your head under the dash and the rear was unbelievable.
I wanted a two door, twin carb Amazon with all the bells and whistles that this has when I was searching and ended up buying a 4 door, single carb in the only colour that I didnt really want but its very solid and reliable amnd Im glad thats how it worked out.
If this car does sell it will be to someone that buys it without giving it a thorough going over and without doing some important checks. Having said that, it may have had all the work done and its now a superb car which I hope is true.
Masterchief is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Masterchief For This Useful Post:
Old May 13th, 2014, 15:44   #5
Derek UK
VOC Member

Smile

This was around 94/95, just sent to me by Tony the owner/builder along with another couple pics of the car. Me doing the coffee. I still have the light blue car but it hasn't been out of the garage since '97!!! Wing badges here are Swedish flags. Tony can't remember the R-Sport badges but I'm sure he had them made. I have some other pictures somewhere taken when he sold it. They might show what was on it then. For Chris, the wiring is what was scratch built to suit the car at the time. Spots, electric fan and at the time an electric fuel pump. Was also on Strombergs then as they came with a late 140 head. Head that came with the bits had been ported and polished very heavily and CR thought to be 11.5 plus so not used. Anyone one who has an old copy of Practical Classics with an article on Amazon tuning will see a picture of the engine and gearbox in this car with the title "here's one I made earlier". The article also has a picture of a B20 head showing the larger valves. That head is on the blue car. Engine is a B18a with a downdraught Zenith. Yes it works.
Lots of memories being awakened here. Edit: Coincidently Tony has just called in on a flying visit and the stories are flowing thick and fast. Head is actually a F.I one with the ports blocked off with Austrian Schillings. Too many laughs to post here.

Last edited by Derek UK; May 13th, 2014 at 18:09. Reason: Extra info.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post: