Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sqeaky sterring

Views : 1022

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 09:11   #1
Mav_UK

Just noticed a sqeak that I know isn't supposed to be there on my '96 440 1.8i. As you turn the steering wheels there is a slight sqeak at certain points of the steering. Anyone got any ideas of what to check, do the UJs for the steering column dry up and things like that, and are these simple to replace or am I looking at the budget I need for a new computer?

Cheers

Stu (And I thought running a modern car was going to be less stressful than maintaining my spitty!)
Old Oct 1st, 2002, 12:19   #2
Cougar 27

Sounds like you have the same problem as me !. My 480 squeaks when you turn the steering wheel, I have tracked the fault down to the suspension. I lubricated the points to where they are attached to the car, which seemed to solve the problem for a while. I think I need to replace the front suspension shocks (around £25 each) to put the problem to bed, as I had the same sound coming from the rear shocks until I replaced those.

Hope this helps .......

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 13:27   #3
Mav_UK

Cheers Mark,

Can I ask what you lubricated them with (will WD40 do the trick or should I use something a bit better (motorbike chainoil for example?)

Thanks

Stu

PS I won't be able to try these until the weekend, so if anyone has any more ideas please let me know and I can try them all one after the other! (He says hopefully......)
Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 09:33   #4
Dan F
Premier Member

Default RE: Sqeaky sterring

Hi.
My old 440 2.0i SE used to do this but only during the winter.
In the end as was worn I just got used to it and it went away during the drier weather.....weird.

It is probably your track rod joints if anything, I would leave the shocks alone unless you are positive it is them.

Cheers,
Dan.
Dan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 09:47   #5
Cougar 27

I used spray grease from halfords, WD40 does not seem to last long. The spray grease gets into the places you carn't reach .....

Good Luck ...
Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 08:24   #6
Mav_UK

Okay bit of an update....

Got my other half to sit in the car and play with the steering whilst I was outside, and the squeak is only insode the car. Outside all you hear is the power steering pump as you turn the wheel. Inside you get teh squeak.....

I'm guessing that soem rubber grommet has come lose and is catching something, anyone jknow anything about teh steering inside?

Cheers

Stu

PS Next time I'm in the UK I really must look for a haynes manual or something!
Old Oct 4th, 2002, 21:00   #7
exley

Try adjusting the angle of the steering column. My 480 developed the squeak after I had changed the angle.

Quentin
Old Oct 7th, 2002, 06:29   #8
Mav_UK

I hadn't thought of that! I'll give it at ry this evening and let you kow what happens!

Thanks

Stu