Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Safety recall for fire risk

Views : 86842

Replies : 469

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 28th, 2020, 16:47   #421
bobarctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
Disappointingly I only got a 50% goodwill contribution from Volvo UK when my EGR valve needed replacement. It really should be free as it's part of the excess soot problem that affects the whole intake system on these VEA engines... I got a 100% contribution on the EGR cooler and intake manifold/swirl valve assembly, so why not the valve?
Thanks. So they've offered me the same 50%. Was that their first offer to you or did you try and get more? I'm not very impressed but don't want to waste time arguing (without a car) if I'm not going to improve on it....
Old Apr 28th, 2020, 17:20   #422
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarctor View Post
Thanks. So they've offered me the same 50%. Was that their first offer to you or did you try and get more? I'm not very impressed but don't want to waste time arguing (without a car) if I'm not going to improve on it....
The only offer was 50%, it's an automated process between the dealership and Volvo UK that simply gives a 'no' or a percentage goodwill offer. I guess I could have gone away and debated the issue myself with Volvo UK but, like you, I wanted my car back without additional delay.

What the dealer did do for me was find that the cooler - despite having been previously replaced in the last two years - was again showing signs of becoming blocked whilst removing the combined cooler/valve assembly (they both have to come off together before being separated). Because the cooler gets 100% goodwill coverage the dealer was then able to put all labour, consumables (antifreeze, etc) and the diagnostic charge against the bill for the cooler thereby saving me a decent wedge. Maybe you could hint to your dealer that they should take a critical look at the cooler while it's off?
Old Apr 29th, 2020, 11:29   #423
bobarctor

Quote:
The only offer was 50%, it's an automated process between the dealership and Volvo UK that simply gives a 'no' or a percentage goodwill offer. I guess I could have gone away and debated the issue myself with Volvo UK but, like you, I wanted my car back without additional delay.

What the dealer did do for me was find that the cooler - despite having been previously replaced in the last two years - was again showing signs of becoming blocked whilst removing the combined cooler/valve assembly (they both have to come off together before being separated). Because the cooler gets 100% goodwill coverage the dealer was then able to put all labour, consumables (antifreeze, etc) and the diagnostic charge against the bill for the cooler thereby saving me a decent wedge. Maybe you could hint to your dealer that they should take a critical look at the cooler while it's off?
Slightly different for me - I had to call Volvo UK who intimated that some support might be possible. They spoke to the dealer who came back to me with the 50% offer.

I've authorised the work as I want the car back. But will complain in writing. Not hopeful I'll get anywhere as 100% cooler but only 50% valve seems to be the policy. In which case I'll seriously look at offloading the car and moving away from the brand. I'd planned to keep it for at least 10 years but the trust has gone.

I've also got a 2019 S90 (admittedly a lease) but these will be my last Volvos I've played the game on my side - paying for Volvo dealer servicing even on a 6 year old car - so I'm not paying for their fundamental design flaws.
Old Apr 29th, 2020, 13:56   #424
Buckshot61

Quote:
What horror stories exactly? Aren't you worried about the manifold catching fire or any of the lesser issues (they found my swirl flaps were becoming seized and so I got a complete new manifold)? How about the resale value of a car that's not had recall work done?

As a former Honda (Accord) owner myself I'd say you were lucky then... Honda diesels have trouble with clutches, EGR cooler pipe cracking and DPF issues. And then a timing chain broke and destroyed my engine.
It was on a Swedish forum. Some cars needed some serious repairs of the engine after the recall. About resale value; I will do the recall Before i sell it or if i get any other Engine problems. As now it runs perfect. No problems whatsoever with the 2012 Honda Civic 2,2 in 120 000km/74500 miles

Last edited by Buckshot61; Apr 29th, 2020 at 13:59.
Buckshot61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2020, 14:59   #425
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Disappointingly I only got a 50% goodwill contribution from Volvo UK when my EGR valve needed replacement. It really should be free as it's part of the excess soot problem that affects the whole intake system on these VEA engines... I got a 100% contribution on the EGR cooler and intake manifold/swirl valve assembly, so why not the valve?
To be honest the EGR valve is nothing to do with the cooler problem at all , it's like any other car.. the EGR Valve can play up any time just like a starter motor for example , but I
wouldn't be too happy if my car was 4 years old and it happened .
Old Apr 29th, 2020, 18:16   #426
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
To be honest the EGR valve is nothing to do with the cooler problem at all , it's like any other car.. the EGR Valve can play up any time just like a starter motor for example , but I
wouldn't be too happy if my car was 4 years old and it happened .
Mine was only 3 years old and on just over 70k miles when the valve stuck open.

I can't help but consider that the same flow of soot-laden recycled exhaust gases that blocks the EGR cooler, seizes the swirl valves, clogs the manifold and prevents the intake valves from properly closing (all covered by 100% goodwill and/or a legal safety recall) also flows through the EGR valve. The original design relies far too heavily on EGR volume to meet the Euro 6 NOx limit... the fact that later versions of the VEA used AdBlue is, to me, an admission of this.
Old Apr 29th, 2020, 20:43   #427
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Mine was only 3 years old and on just over 70k miles when the valve stuck open.

I can't help but consider that the same flow of soot-laden recycled exhaust gases that blocks the EGR cooler, seizes the swirl valves, clogs the manifold and prevents the intake valves from properly closing (all covered by 100% goodwill and/or a legal safety recall) also flows through the EGR valve. The original design relies far too heavily on EGR volume to meet the Euro 6 NOx limit... the fact that later versions of the VEA used AdBlue is, to me, an admission of this.
But EGR valves have been giving trouble on just about all cars for the last 15 years or so , a noticeable exception was the original D5 .
Old Apr 29th, 2020, 22:05   #428
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
But EGR valves have been giving trouble on just about all cars for the last 15 years or so , a noticeable exception was the original D5 .
So that's OK and we should just accept it? If Volvo could do it for the older D5 then why not the VEA! I don't suppose the newer VEAs (with AdBlue, so less EGR flow) have anywhere near so many soot-related problems, including the EGR valve... Volvo really should have done a better job in the first place, would have probably cost them less in recall and goodwill (and definitely less in reputational damage).
Old Apr 30th, 2020, 08:45   #429
bobarctor

Quote:
So that's OK and we should just accept it? If Volvo could do it for the older D5 then why not the VEA! I don't suppose the newer VEAs (with AdBlue, so less EGR flow) have anywhere near so many soot-related problems, including the EGR valve... Volvo really should have done a better job in the first place, would have probably cost them less in recall and goodwill (and definitely less in reputational damage).
Indeed. Plus, if I understand correctly, there is a modified EGR valve which is now fitted instead of the original units presumably to counter these problems to a degree.

If I had been lucky (!) enough to encounter this problem in the warranty period, they would have paid for that replacement. Because I didn't I'm supposed to pay for their retrospective design modification?? Nope.
Old Apr 30th, 2020, 11:41   #430
Bendolfc
Premier Member

Quote:
It's not the VEA engine itself that's the problem, it's something with the way it's installed on these cars. The SPA cars, even those pre adblue don't have the same issues.

I suspect there are some subtle layout differences in these cars that's the cause of the problem. JLR had similar issues when they introduced their new engines and had to move things around a bit in later cars to cure it.

As an aside, I don't think you will find any diesel cars on sale now that don't have adblue, EGR alone simply doesn't do enough to meet E6 temp d and E6d standard.
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
egr problems, v60 d4