Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fan belts

Views : 1584

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 15th, 2018, 19:22   #1
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Default Fan belts

I'm tired of fan belts that seem fine for a while and then start making a squeaky noise at idling speed. I understand this often arises because the belts commonly supplied are only 10mm wide instead of the correct 11.9mm.

Can anyone confirm that the matched pair of genuine belts from Brookhouse, part number 973537, really are the correct width?
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2018, 10:25   #2
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Or from Classicswede?

I ask because Europarts list this item but give the dimension as 10 mm.
Old May 16th, 2018, 11:20   #3
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Is there any problem buying from, a Volvo dealer? Are their dimensions sometimes wrong? Dealer provided belts are serving me well. The delivered price from say FRF might even be cheaper than third party supplies.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2018, 11:50   #4
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

The belts are genuine Volvo belts and matched pairs for perfect fit https://www.classicswede.co.uk/Fan_B..._11181193.aspx
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2018, 12:08   #5
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

But are they 11.9mm? The power steering belt width is stated as 10.0mm, and I thought that was meant to be the same width as the alternator/fan?
Old May 21st, 2018, 18:24   #6
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
The belts are genuine Volvo belts and matched pairs for perfect fit https://www.classicswede.co.uk/Fan_B..._11181193.aspx

Sorry, but they are the wrong size like all the other suppliers'. They are only 10 mm wide, so consequently sit too deep in the pulleys. They apparently are supposed to be 11.9 mm.

Hence my original question - does anyone know who sells these?
Old May 22nd, 2018, 09:31   #7
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Photos attached. These are the new belts. They still make a creaking noise when the engine turns slowly at idling speed.
As I think is clear in the photos, the belts sit too deep in the pulley grooves, particularly the crank pulley.

I know the belts are original Volvo spec, but they are notoriously prone to noise, and debate on Brickboard etc identified the problem as being because they needed to be wider.
The figure of 11.9 mm seems perhaps a bit too wide, but it happens to be a standard width size. On Brickboard Gates belts seem to be recommended.
The figure was quoted here some years ago by Clan.

Perhaps 11mm would be best?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0219 a.JPG (191.3 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0218 a.JPG (202.2 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Belt-and-pully-4-zoom-out-8.jpg (126.7 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by Clifford Pope; May 22nd, 2018 at 09:53.
Old May 27th, 2018, 06:22   #8
volvo264

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford Pope View Post
They still make a creaking noise when the engine turns slowly at idling speed.
As I think is clear in the photos, the belts sit too deep in the pulley grooves, particularly the crank pulley.

I know the belts are original Volvo spec, but they are notoriously prone to noise

Perhaps 11mm would be best?
Had the same issue with the PS V-belt especially when it warms up. The PS belt doesn't look warn-out or cracked inside but definitely very smooth at the edge with all the slipping. I replaced with Gates 11A965 and its definitely quite now.! and seems to have the correct width and does not sit too deep in the pulley like the Genuine Volvo PS Belt.

Will let it run for couple of weeks and see how it goes and will change the 2 ALT belts too with Gates.

Gates V-Belt ( 264GL B27E)
PS – 11A965 (Saginaw Pump) $NZD23
AC – 11A1345 ( AC Delco) $NZD24
ALT - 11A1080 ( SEV Marchal )

The Genuine Volvo PS belt ( 966911) is 9.5x 963mm which seems narrow IMO for 264GL B27E. Attach pics
264GL B27E 1977 - 2017 Barn-Find
volvo264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2018, 10:50   #9
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

That's interesting. I'm relieved to find I am not alone in finding that the listed Volvo belts are not a proper fit on the pulleys, and cause noise as a consequence.

I've tried searching for the 11A1080 ( SEV Marchal ) you suggest for the alternator belts, but it's only listed in Australia, and nowhere actually quotes its dimensions.

There are lots of Gates belts listed on eBay from UK suppliers, and I would recommend no. 6318MC for the steering pump belt. It is 11.9 mm X 950 mm, which is a perfect fit on the pulleys, sitting just flush with the top of the V grooves.

A larger width belt needs to be about 10mm longer to get the same effective length, because the circumference round the outer edge of the pulleys is slightly greater than set deeper in the groove. So the 950 mm Gates is a good replacement for the 938 mm Volvo one.
Unfortunately I can't find any Gates belts listed that would be the right length for the alternator belts. The 11.9 X 950 is slightly too long, and the alternator adjustment won't adjust far enough.
So it needs to be about 920 mm to 930 mm, which just doesn't seem to be available.

But 11.9 mm is definitely the correct belt width. It's 15/32 ", a standard US size, converted to metric.
Old May 27th, 2018, 11:23   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford Pope View Post
I'm tired of fan belts that seem fine for a while and then start making a squeaky noise at idling speed. I understand this often arises because the belts commonly supplied are only 10mm wide instead of the correct 11.9mm.

Can anyone confirm that the matched pair of genuine belts from Brookhouse, part number 973537, really are the correct width?
The squeaking is caused by the pulleys rather than the belts , they get highly polished and the V shape wears after the decades and 100's of 1000's of miles which have passed !
I remember when the cars were current and noise complaints were received new pulleys cured it .