Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members CarsBlogs Help Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99/ C70 '97-'05 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C70 leather refurb

Views : 418

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 13th, 2018, 16:55   #1
Mark1Stu
Member
 

Last Online: Today 17:26
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bristol
Default C70 leather refurb

Been doing a bit of fettling to what was my daughter's car, but is now my little project. Surprising how a bit of leather colourant can lift an already nice interior.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2326.jpg (173.3 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2325.jpg (172.0 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2329.jpg (160.5 KB, 50 views)
Mark1Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark1Stu For This Useful Post:
Old May 13th, 2018, 18:20   #2
ITSv40
Premier Member
 

Last Online: Today 22:25
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: northampton
Default

That does look nice The secret is doing it before it gets too bad.
__________________
2001 V40 2.0lt Sport lux - Daily Driver. 137k miles.
2003 C70 2.4 GT Convertible - Garage Queen. 57k miles.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2018, 09:53   #3
ASt85
Premier Member
 

Last Online: Today 11:40
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Medway....Kent
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1Stu View Post
Been doing a bit of fettling to what was my daughter's car, but is now my little project. Surprising how a bit of leather colourant can lift an already nice interior.
Hi Mark1Stu,
the leather looks stunning. Which make of colourant did you use? Did it darken the leather at all as it was worked?

My C70 has the very pale grey interior which although it is in almost unworn condition could do with being re-conditioned as the leather itself is very soft or flexible. I'd thought about working baby oil as a softener/reconditioner but don't want to risk changing the colour.
__________________
The saddest moment is when the one who gave you the best memories....becomes a MEMORY

1st Volvo was a 1994 850GLT 20v Auto
2001 V70 Torslander 2.4 Auto current
2005 C70 2.0T Auto current
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2018, 14:07   #4
Mark1Stu
Member
 

Last Online: Today 17:26
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bristol
Default

Thanks. I used a Woolies kit (I sent the centre cubby lid off so they could match it. Cost about 50 from memory. Perfect match, the colour on the worn sections matching the rest.

I was able to match the insert colour myself - which turned out to be 2 spoonfuls of silver and 1 spoonful of a beige C70 colour I had. Bit of luck that!

I ragged it on, then tabbed it by rag where it needed more. Any more than a couple of coats and you risk making the top surface too heavy and plastic looking. Less is definitely more.

Good luck! The C70 interiors need more love than the old 240 leather interiors from my experience.

Last edited by Mark1Stu; May 16th, 2018 at 14:09.
Mark1Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark1Stu For This Useful Post:
Old May 16th, 2018, 17:35   #5
ASt85
Premier Member
 

Last Online: Today 11:40
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Medway....Kent
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1Stu View Post
Thanks. I used a Woolies kit (I sent the centre cubby lid off so they could match it. Cost about 50 from memory. Perfect match, the colour on the worn sections matching the rest.

I was able to match the insert colour myself - which turned out to be 2 spoonfuls of silver and 1 spoonful of a beige C70 colour I had. Bit of luck that!

I ragged it on, then tabbed it by rag where it needed more. Any more than a couple of coats and you risk making the top surface too heavy and plastic looking. Less is definitely more.

Good luck! The C70 interiors need more love than the old 240 leather interiors from my experience.
Thank you so much for the info - I have to say that whilst the quality of the original leather isn't in question - it has little or no wear, finding a suitable refurbishing oil/wax/colourant etc. could be a nightmare.

The pale grey of mine looks wonderful, no cuts, wear, stitches fraying etc. but trying to make it pliable/flexible/soft is a completely different matter. A couple of upholsters have looked at the seats and door cards and have basically said, all you need to do with it is give it some TLC with baby oil!
__________________
The saddest moment is when the one who gave you the best memories....becomes a MEMORY

1st Volvo was a 1994 850GLT 20v Auto
2001 V70 Torslander 2.4 Auto current
2005 C70 2.0T Auto current
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2018, 20:10   #6
ITSv40
Premier Member
 

Last Online: Today 22:25
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: northampton
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASt85 View Post
Thank you so much for the info - I have to say that whilst the quality of the original leather isn't in question - it has little or no wear, finding a suitable refurbishing oil/wax/colourant etc. could be a nightmare.

The pale grey of mine looks wonderful, no cuts, wear, stitches fraying etc. but trying to make it pliable/flexible/soft is a completely different matter. A couple of upholsters have looked at the seats and door cards and have basically said, all you need to do with it is give it some TLC with baby oil!
I personally wouldn't use baby oil, not unless you like the sensation of sliding about on a slippery surface in a tart's boudoir.

I use Dr leather conditioning wipes on both the Volvo's and find they provide just the right amount of cleaning and conditioning without leaving a sticky mess.

I use Connolly Hide food on the Silver Cloud upholstery, but of course that is a different finish to modern leather and that is still supple after 53 years. Autoglym make a similar leather conditioner to Connolly, but I find that leaves a sticky mess, even though applied sparingly on the Volvo leather as it is treated - as all modern car leather is-and the conditioner cannot permeate the original surface.
__________________
2001 V40 2.0lt Sport lux - Daily Driver. 137k miles.
2003 C70 2.4 GT Convertible - Garage Queen. 57k miles.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old May 16th, 2018, 20:21   #7
ITSv40
Premier Member
 

Last Online: Today 22:25
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: northampton
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
I personally wouldn't use baby oil, not unless you like the sensation of sliding about on a slippery surface in a tart's boudoir.

I use Dr leather conditioning wipes on both the Volvo's and find they provide just the right amount of cleaning and conditioning without leaving a sticky mess.

I use Connolly Hide food on the Silver Cloud upholstery, but of course that is a different finish to modern leather and that is still supple after 53 years. Autoglym make a similar leather conditioner to Connolly, but I find that leaves a sticky mess, even though applied sparingly on the Volvo leather as it is treated - as all modern car leather is-and the conditioner cannot permeate the original surface.
Attachments showing the C70 interior and Silver Cloud interior.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20180405_009.jpg (156.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg pic 9.jpg (154.0 KB, 26 views)
__________________
2001 V40 2.0lt Sport lux - Daily Driver. 137k miles.
2003 C70 2.4 GT Convertible - Garage Queen. 57k miles.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old May 17th, 2018, 10:55   #8
ASt85
Premier Member
 

Last Online: Today 11:40
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Medway....Kent
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
I personally wouldn't use baby oil, not unless you like the sensation of sliding about on a slippery surface in a tart's boudoir.
I thought that might be a bit of an issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
Dr leather conditioning wipes on both the Volvo's and find they provide just the right amount of cleaning and conditioning without leaving a sticky mess.
I'll try the Dr Leather as suggested - there are no stains or wear marks on the seats so the least likely to darken the leather is probably the best way to go - I did see a Wheeler Dealers programme where Mike Brewer used baby oil on some light tan seats but again it was older 70's leather so maybe tanned differently.

p.s. the sheen on the Silver Cloud's bonnet is truly magnificent!
__________________
The saddest moment is when the one who gave you the best memories....becomes a MEMORY

1st Volvo was a 1994 850GLT 20v Auto
2001 V70 Torslander 2.4 Auto current
2005 C70 2.0T Auto current

Last edited by ASt85; May 17th, 2018 at 11:02.
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2018, 18:00   #9
krussel
Premier Member
 
krussel's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 20:55
Join Date: May 2013
Location: hertfordshire
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1Stu View Post
Been doing a bit of fettling to what was my daughter's car, but is now my little project. Surprising how a bit of leather colourant can lift an already nice interior.
Looks a great job. My grey seats are showing a little ageing and light creases / cracking. Drivers side rest has some scuffs. Ive seen these kits and watched the videos but been worried messing it up and making it look worse.
__________________
2005 C70 2.4 GT Conv (LP Turbo)
2008 Seat Ibiza FR 1.9 Tdi
"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car".
krussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2018, 21:47   #10
ITSv40
Premier Member
 

Last Online: Today 22:25
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: northampton
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by krussel View Post
Looks a great job. My grey seats are showing a little ageing and light creases / cracking. Drivers side rest has some scuffs. Ive seen these kits and watched the videos but been worried messing it up and making it look worse.
The Woolies kits are very good and an imitation of the original Connolly kit - that is meant as a compliment, not derogatory.

It is relatively easy to apply and difficult to mess up, so go for it, you will be pleasantly surprised. As Mark1Stu found, less is more and it is easy to apply a little more colourant, but difficult to remove.

An alternative is colourant supplied by www.dynamixdyes.com they are based in Northern Ireland and supply a water based colour matched to the Volvo upholstery colour code. I have used it on both Volvos to cover minor wear and is just dabbed on with the sponge supplied. The colour match is perfect and very, very easy to use.

If your leather is badly worn it may be best to use the Woolies kit which is more 'heavy duty' however, what you want to avoid is the 'Dowager Duchess' look who has ladled the make up on to cover the natural creases and lines.
__________________
2001 V40 2.0lt Sport lux - Daily Driver. 137k miles.
2003 C70 2.4 GT Convertible - Garage Queen. 57k miles.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 23:06.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.