Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General > 140/164 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo 164 for sale

Views : 5347

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 21st, 2010, 18:52   #1
Audrey Old
VOC Member

Default Volvo 164 for sale

Before the Forums (and our computers) both crashed - not related I hope!, I saw the maroon 164 that Nigel Ayling used to own, was advertised on here as being for sale again.

Just wanted to say I owned it for many years before Nigel, and it was a fine regular occasional day-car plus show-attendant. The mechanicals never gave any trouble at all apart from that wretched fuel pump drying out when off the road one winter. The overdrive gearbox was wonderful - going up the M40 to Gaydon once I kept it in OD at 55mph (I've always been slow....) and easily topped 30mpg.

I had a professional lower-half respray done after a small pimple of rot was attended to (a metal repair panel, not fi-glass filler) on one rear wheel arch but as I then bought a 164TE it reluctantly became surplus. Nigel put a new clutch in and I believe he had it re-upholstered, so a really nice example of what is now becoming a rare car.

Hope it goes to a Forum member (John??) to continue looking after it. Those carb cars are certainly less fussy than my (and that of another I know of, don't I Dave?) injection cars.

Paul
Audrey Old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 03:01   #2
learngolf

Default 164 for sale

Hi,

nice reading about the 164. Do you know if it is still available?

I can't seem to find any reference to it at the moment!

regards,

learngolf.
learngolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 10:01   #3
Martin Burch

Default still for sale 164

Hi both, yes the car is still for sale. I was thinking I'd wait for the bad weather to pass then repost the advert, possibly with more photos.
Thanks for the extra info Paul. It does seem good on gas but the mileometer rarely works now so it is hard to tell. It's definitely better than my old 144 auto, which did 20-22 mpg quite reliably. I suspect the re-upholsering never got beyond planning stage as the seats are now showing their age. I tried using leather cleaning and feeding products but it was too late really. They are still very comfy though.
cheers,
Martin
Martin Burch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 22:03   #4
capt jack
VOC Member

Default Volvo 164

I went to have a look at Martin's 164 a couple of weeks ago.

It would make a very good project - the bodywork is sound, with no serious rust in evidence, The interior is a bit tired and would need some work. The engine, tyres and gearbox all seemed fine to me.

To be fair it's a bit more than I've got the facilities to take on, but with a bit of work it could be a fantastic car.

There are some key pluses - 123 ignition, very good tyres, new exhaust, and all trim present.

I think that the MoT has a good time to run, and of course the car is tax-free.

It would be great to see this fine car go to someone who would lavish the TLC!

Cheers

Jack

Last edited by capt jack; Feb 22nd, 2010 at 22:09.
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 10:52   #5
nigel335
Director/ Register Keeper

Default re maroon 164

During the time I had the car I did put 2nd hand front seats in which were not perfect but slightly better than the ones they replaced. I certainly enjoyed the car and using the O/D on it persuaded me to put O/D in my 145. As Martin says very comfortable to drive. As too fuel economy. I found for a 6 cylinder job it was quite good.
Nigel Ayling
140 register keeper
nigel335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2010, 14:07   #6
Martin Burch

Default 164 for sale re-advertised

I can't find my original ad, so here we go again:
Good runner which has done about 90k (I think). Good bodywork, mot and (free)tax, recent new electronic ignition and distributor, full exhaust system, brake master cylinder, front pads and flexi hoses and brake fluid. 4 good recent tyres on original wheels. 5 scruffy Virgo alloys with almost new tyres come with it (if you want). Power steering and overdrive work fine. Interior scruffy, sunroof doesn’t open.
The car was first registered in early January 1973 and just qualifies for free road tax. I have owned it for 2 ½ years. It has m.o.-t. and tax till next July. It passed the last m.o.t. with no problems. I have some old m.o.t.s and receipts for work done etc.
The bodywork is in good condition. The only welding that has been done recently is to the O/S rear wheel arch. This was done prior to the last m.o.t. test. Previously the rear outer arches have been replaced. There is some rust to the rear of them and in the spare wheel well. It was not a problem for the m.o.t.
I'm looking for about £1000,
viewing welcome, I am in Leicestershire
Regards,
Martin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg drivers seat and wheel.JPG (66.8 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg front1.JPG (82.5 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg ns front 3 quart view.JPG (69.9 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg ns rear 3 quart view.JPG (84.8 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg engine.JPG (274.9 KB, 160 views)
Old Jun 6th, 2011, 14:02   #7
volvotommy

Default Volvo 164

Just seen your advertisement. Is the car still for sale? If so please let me have your contact number so I can arrange to come and see it. (jp@lordbug.com).

Thanks
volvotommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 15:32   #8
wesson124

Lovely car
wesson124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2011, 13:31   #9
Martin Burch

Default Sold

Sorry, I sold the car last year,
MB