Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General > 140/164 Series Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo 144 Road Rally Car

Views : 5483

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 21st, 2011, 14:03   #1
Snowman
never knowingly slow

Default Volvo 144 Road Rally Car

After much heart searching, I’ve decided it’s time to sell my hugely entertaining Volvo and let someone else have some fun.

I bought the car back in 2002 specifically to use for historic road rallying. It had been properly laid up in store for many years before I bought it and came with reams of paperwork and history which I still have. The car has competed over the years on most events in the HRCR Clubmans Championship, local motor club 12-car rallies, won the historic night rally championship in the South West and undertaken the fearsome LeJog (Lands End to John O Groats) no less than five times.

As I’m just not using it enough, I’ll sell it as a complete package ready to go and rally.

The Car: A 1973 registered 144DL, I’ve checked and it was actually built after the cut-off date so it does not qualify for free road tax. I’m the 3rd owner from new.

Engine: Obviously not original! It’s fitted with a Nick Stagg B20 of unknown specification but suffice to say it goes like stink! Twin 1.75” SU carbs, a machined down B20E big valve head with the fuel injection ports blanked in brass (runs fine on super unleaded), a fairly rorty cam which runs ok at low revs but comes on song at about 2700rpm and will rev beyond 6000rpm without fuss, it uses no oil or coolant, is fitted with a 65amp alternator and runs through a bespoke stainless steel exhaust system which rates at 97db at noise test and sounds great! A full oil service was carried out in February and new engine mounts fitted.

Gearbox and Drivetrain: A refurbished overdrive gearbox is in the car, the switch being on the gearshift. The clutch is about two years old and has had a recent cable. A genuine Dana Limited Slip Differential has been installed which transformed the car. All fluids have just been changed.

Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein dampers all round and Amazon Cars uprated springs with a 1” lower ride height than standard. EBC brake pads and braided hoses, the system is filled with Automec silicone fluid. New handbrake cable. New tyres have been fitted this year.

Rally Kit: OMP seats, 4 point harnesses, fire extinguisher, Brantz Rally Timer and Brantz 2 Trip Meter, map lights, potti plug, bespoke rear roll cage, Moto Lita steering wheel, twin air horns, super rare Volvo R Sport dash binnacle, full length engine/gearbox guard and rear petrol tank guard. It’s even got a decent Sony stereo fitted for those long journeys home from Scotland! The rest of the interior trim is intact and in good order. It is currently sat on Virgo 15” alloy wheels from a 240 plus I have a pile of spare steel wheels.

Bodywork: Pretty good and does polish up well! Front of rear arches getting a bit crusty but repair sections are available at good value and it’s not an MOT problem. Do remember it’s a rally car, not designed for show and shine and it’s nearly 40 years old.

Building a comparable car from scratch would cost well over £10,000 and I’ve got enough invoices to prove that and much more! Bear in mind that it’s ready to go, has just been serviced and starts on the button. I’m not expecting to recover anything like the amount I’ve spent but I hope someone appreciates what’s on offer here! Long Mot and road tax so ready to drive away. She'll also come with the identity tags and V5 for a 1972 (road tax exempt) in green 144 to do with as you wish.

Any questions, either contact me (Duncan) through here or on 07831 877326. £4500ono. The car is near Bath, Somerset.

Last edited by Snowman; Apr 21st, 2011 at 14:13. Reason: Photos!
Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2011, 17:34   #2
Snowman
never knowingly slow

Some more pics;

The Following User Says Thank You to Snowman For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 29th, 2011, 22:45   #3
Snowman
never knowingly slow

Sad day, the car's been sold and collected. I gather it's going to be rebuilt (again!) as an even more serious long distance rally car...wow!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snowman For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 30th, 2011, 00:47   #4
80sRich

Sad times, but it sounds like it has gone to a good home!
80sRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2011, 07:34   #5
john h
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
Sad day, the car's been sold and collected. I gather it's going to be rebuilt (again!) as an even more serious long distance rally car...wow!
Can you ask the new owner to pleeeeease tell the rebuild and rally story on here!

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote